INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for both an external DAC and sound card sub output?  (Read 12623 times)

kstich

• Recent member
Support for both an external DAC and sound card sub output?
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:23:15 pm »

I was using a soundcard for a while, but upgraded to an external DAC. I miss the bass management that allowed me to use my sub for a 2.1 setup. I would like to know if JRiver can help me to use both together. I would like to use crossovers with the high pass filter to the DAC (SPDIF) and low pass to the soundcards subwoofer output. Can this be done with JRiver? Hopefully I can use the internal volume control too. I don't have the program yet but am considering the purchase. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Support for both an external DAC and sound card sub output?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:14:26 am »

Have you explored all the options in DSP Studio?  Start with Output Settings.

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:13:28 am »

Sadly, my thirty day trial expired sometime ago so I can't explore the output options. The DAC is new so I didnt have a chance it try this while the trial was still active. My DAC has a volume control and I dot use a preamp with it; it is directly connected to my amp. If this works I could use the volume control in JRiver instead.

I do remember trying some of the DSP studio settings so I know that bass management is available. I just don't know whether I can use it for a subwoofer channel through my sound card while also using the SPDIF DAC for the mains. Preferably I would be able to use WASAPI still as well for the SPDIF output. Thanks again.

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:03:49 pm »

So I installed the trial on a laptop and took a look into the software options. It seems like I can set up up a second zone and have that linked to the first. I should then be able to map one zone to the DAC through SPDIF and one to the speakers. I could use a high-pass crossover and remove bass below the crossover. With the second zone to the analog outputs I should be able to route that bass to the subwoofer. Unfortunately I can't really test on the laptop... Does this sound like it will work?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:04 pm »

Yes you can the only problem you can run into is a timing issue between the 2 zones due to internal latency variations between the 2 devices. This can be remedied with delay in the DSP's parametric EQ if there is a timing variation. What I recommend is to create a recording that has a tone (pulse) that is the same as your crossover frequency. You can then play the tone and check the timing of the speakers.
Sean

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:34:35 am »

So I am using the full version now on my main machine in the hopes that this will work. So far it seems like it works sometimes and not others. I have also had a few playback errors that have randomly happened during songs. It stops playing and there is a popup. One thing at a time though.

I have the two zones linked, and using DSP room correction for the bass management. Timing seems pretty good when it works although the first song was about 20 seconds behind. That was the first song I played and when I stopped and restarted it seemed to correct itself. I am a little concerned about the volume control though. I can only get volume control using the internal option. Unfortunately the volume controls for the two zones aren't linked. I have the adjust them independently which doesn't really work at all. I have tried the system and application volume controls and they didn't do anything. Is there some way to link the volume of the two zones and control them through the JRiver interface. If it makes any difference, I am using WASAPI output for both. The ASIO and Kernal Streaming modes don't work for me.

Any suggestions?

kstich

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »

Hmm, I think I have given up on this idea since the zone timing doesn't seem very reliable. The songs also stop intermitently. As this was my reason for purchase, I am a little disappointed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up