INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playback pauses locks at 3:19 in. What have I done wrong  (Read 1302 times)

bruce.weiland

• Recent member
playback pauses locks at 3:19 in. What have I done wrong
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »

MC17 goes into pause at about 3:19 into each track.  Sometimes it will play a track or two before it goes to pause/lockup.  It just started today.  I don't have any idea why.

Windows 7 64 home premium. I rolled windows back a few days. 

Please help.

Bruce
Martin Logan PRODIGY by passed crossovers, HP server - MC20, Windows 10, USB-S/PDIF cnvrtr, or (Linn/UltraCraft unipivot w/ VTAF, GAS Sleeping Beauty, CJ PV5 phono) to Behringer DEQ2496, PS Audio DSD DAC, JP200 clone, 2 Cary CAD 280SA V12 mono blocks - Cardas Helink Golden 5-C, Zero autoformers, AQ 144V Volcano to stats,Behringer DCX2496 to 2 bridged modified Behringer EP4000's - Geortz MI 3 to woofers and 2 ML Depth subs, Aural Thrills ACS tube powered interconnects

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: playback pauses locks at 3:19 in. What have I done wrong
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »

Can you describe your setup?  Any network parts involved?  Or network drives?

Any recent changes other than Windows?

bruce.weiland

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »

JimH

hp IQ506 touch screen, 4 gig mem, Windows 7 64 home premium.  Connected to a network, but run from the internal HD.  The other thing that is occuring, that occurred when I first upgraded to MC17, is that if I click on pause the pause icon comes up, but the pause lasts about 1/2 second and it goes right back to playing, even though it looks like it is paused.

The last time, I "fixed" it by uninstalling and reinstalling.  There must be an easier way.

Bruce
Martin Logan PRODIGY by passed crossovers, HP server - MC20, Windows 10, USB-S/PDIF cnvrtr, or (Linn/UltraCraft unipivot w/ VTAF, GAS Sleeping Beauty, CJ PV5 phono) to Behringer DEQ2496, PS Audio DSD DAC, JP200 clone, 2 Cary CAD 280SA V12 mono blocks - Cardas Helink Golden 5-C, Zero autoformers, AQ 144V Volcano to stats,Behringer DCX2496 to 2 bridged modified Behringer EP4000's - Geortz MI 3 to woofers and 2 ML Depth subs, Aural Thrills ACS tube powered interconnects

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:04:40 pm »

This isn't a common problem.  I'd guess your audio device or file source (network / drive) is misbehaving.

You might work through this, in particular the part about output modes:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:24 pm »

Could be hard drive read errors.  Very weird that it would always happen at 3:19 though...

Still, to be certain (because I've learned to be paranoid and skeptical about disks), I'd scan that bad boy or verify the RAID.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:48 pm »

Very strange behavior and I am basically clueless as to what may be causing it but I am going to throw out some questions anyway.
What format are the files? mp3, flac, wav, etc
Do you have an alternate format to test?
Are these rips from CD and what program did you use for ripping.
Do videos behave the same.
I can't help but wonder if the time has something to do with the fact that 3:19 it is 199 seconds not that 199/200 is a magic number.

Maybe your computer just suffers from Pastrana syndrome and just can't pass the 199.
Sorry couldn't resist making the joke in reference to Travis Pastrana #199. ;)
Sean

bruce.weiland

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 07:32:39 am »

Guys,

Thanks for the ideas.   :)

I will consider and work with them. 

However, today it is back to the "salt mines".  Possibly late tonight or some time on Thursday I can check some of these suggestions.

I will tell you that last night I was able to play multiple tracks all the way through.  I am still having trouble with the pause play thing.

I did increase the pre buffer.  Not sure if that had anything to do with the ability to play a complete track.  I will check it.  I just wanted to listen last night
so that was enough.

FYI this is not a RAID nor is it a NAS.  Internal hard drive 500 gig, all songs ripped with EAC to WAV along time ago.  Within the past month album WAV's split to individual tracks, but.....

The pause play behavior occurred, the first time, right after installing the MC17 upgrade, and before any of the WAV's were split.  I uninstalled MC17 and did a Windows rollback to cure the behavior back then.

I only play music, no video files on the drive.  Not sure how a drive error could occur at the same place in a track with multiple tracks.  Those track would be sitting all over the drive in random locations.

More likely a software interaction.   I am thinking the buffer was too small, and a software conflict happened when MC17 attempted to get the next batch of data for the buffer.  I am wondering if the "file stops playing at" problem might not occur when "playing" from disc, and not memory?

This will all have to wait for later. 

Again, thanks for the ideas

Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up