INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused about DSP Studio Settings  (Read 1293 times)

sfric

• Recent member
Confused about DSP Studio Settings
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:15:33 pm »

I recently purchased Media Center and I'm really enjoying it.  However, today, I began experimenting with some settings in DSP Studio and can't figure this out... I choose 2.1 channels (5.1 ch) and set the Subwoofer setting to 90hz.  When I try to play music with this setting, I get an error message stating
"Playback could not be started using the format: 96000 Hz, 24 bits per sample, 6 channels.
This format would work 9600 Hz, 24 bits per sample, 2 channel"
Would you like to have > DSP Studio Output Format settings changed automatically?

I then choose "Change Settings and Continue Playback" and then it works fine using 2 channel.

What am I doing wrong?

Here's a little background on my equipment:
Windows 7 PC connected via USB to Musical Fidelity Vlink and then Optical Out to my receiver
Most of my music is 96/24 Flac

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great in 2 channel but I just wanted to see if listening in these other modes would improve my experience at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Confused about DSP Studio Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:29:57 pm »

What output mode are you using? (ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, etc)
I am wondering if you settings in Windows mixer could be messing with something.
Sean

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:38 pm »

Can you go straight from the PC to the receiver?  Optical, SP/DIF, HDMI?  If you do that, the receiver can decode what MC sends.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:57:27 pm »

S/PDIF isn't multichannel. It supports only 2 channel stereo, i.e. the audio device that MC sees has only two channels. Unless the output signal is re-encoded to the compressed and lossy Dolby Digital format so that S/PDIF can transmit it and the receiver has a Dolby Digital decoder, 2.1 or more channels is not possible.

HDMI could transmit multi-channel audio, but Musical Fidelity Vlink is strictly a USB to S/PDIF converter.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up