INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA & WDTV setup  (Read 1662 times)

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA & WDTV setup
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »

For the past few months I've been sporadically using a WDTV in the kid's bedroom to watch movies stored on our HTPC via DLNA.  Is it possible to have the movies organized better?  Right now when I'm on the WDTV and scroll to Video and then by Name it's ALL of my movies.  It would be sweet if I could view the Genre sorting that MC is sorted by on the HTPC.  I'm guessing that it's entirely possible that it's a limitation of the WDTV and not MC or DLNA, but I don't know enough about it to be sure.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA & WDTV setup
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:18:32 am »

The DLNA facility has its own set of views, you are still probably using the default views. You need to go into the DLNA settings and add a view for the way you want to sort your movies by, in the same way you did for the client view of MC itself. Unfortunately, MC has no way of using common views so you have to set it up again from scratch for DLNA.

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:51 am »

Thanks for the info csimon.  Where are those setting changed?  I noodled through MC and didn't notice anything jumping out at me, but I didn't get too deep.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:14 am »

Not at a MC computer right now so I can't tell you exactly what the items are called, but it's where you turned on the DLNA Server in the first place. Media NetworK, Customise Server, Customise Views or something like that.

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:52:58 am »

I think I have MC on a test rig here at work.  Maybe I'll see if I can dig around.

Thanks again!

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:49:01 am »

Was having this problem myself a few weeks back, and finally found a fairly simple solution.

1. Go to playlists tab and set up smarlists for each category you want. I have them created by file path. IE Filepath <contains> modern family. Yours would be something like... Genre <equals> Kids TV ... Genre <equals> Movies etc.... Make sure to give each smartlist a descriptive name.

2. Make sure you have auto import on to search the directory where you store your movies.

3. Now just go to WDTV and (maybe not the exact structure) go to Video-> Media Servers -> (Whatever you server is named)-> video -> playlists. The smartlists will be listed among your playlists. As long as you have the autoimport on your media will be auto populated.

Not the optimum solution if you have lots of playlists like we do, but you can just put a number in front of your most frequent lists so they will be on top.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up