INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server is not reachable today, but it worked fine yesterday  (Read 1506 times)

wadbat75

• Recent member

I am running Windows 7 on two PC, one at home and one at work. The one at home is set up as a library server and I have been streamin audio to work for a few days now. This morning the MC stopped at home and when I tried to restart it, it reinstalled itself to the newest version. I updated the MC at work to the newest version as well.

The MC at work can't find the library server. When I try to test the MC at home I get the "This Server is not reachable from the Internet".... message. But the router is set up as before and the port forwarding is active for the 52199 port. And the Internet connection works fine.

I am not sure what to do. Is this a typical Windows 7 problem? Or is it a typical MC problem?

Please help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library server is not reachable today, but it worked fine yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:36 am »

You can turn off auto update.  Tools/Options/Startup.

Media Server may need to be restarted.  You could read the wiki topic called "Servers" to find out more.

wadbat75

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:46 am »

Thank you for answering. I have read the Wiki part about the server, but I am confused. Some more information...

I have a VPN from home to work, so I assumed it should work with the access key when I tried this the first time. And it did, but only one day. Then it stopped. Then I opened the router by forwarding the 82199 port and it worked for several days. Then it suddenly stopped.

My Internet provider changes my external IP address all the time, so I can't use that.

I see the other computers on the network all the time so it is working.

When the MC at work tries to load the library I can see that it tries on the home computers IP address. Why can't it load the library today when it could yesterday?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:25:27 pm »

When the MC at work tries to load the library I can see that it tries on the home computers IP address. Why can't it load the library today when it could yesterday?

I had similar issues, are you sure that the home pc hasn't changed its ip?  I changed my Win7 ip to a fixed address and this type of problem disappeared for me. I was running a mixed Win7/XP network and Win 7 was automatically reassigning addresses all over the place.  Might not be your problem though doesn't hurt to try. Easy fix if it works.

wadbat75

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:28 am »

Thank you Arindelle. I checked the IP before and it is the same.

Yesterday evening I shut off the router, waited a minute, and the powered it on again. All problems solved! I restarted the router the other day, but that didn't help att all.

Maybe I need a new router...
Pages: [1]   Go Up