INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to test the quality of speaker cables?  (Read 2000 times)

trcns

• World Citizen
How to test the quality of speaker cables?
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:26:11 am »

I have some Speaker cables in the wall and some patch cables out of the wall. I don’t know the manufacturer of these cables but they look very good. I want to test the quality of these speaker cables, (not just connectivity at each end) how clean the signal can travel through these cables? Can somebody recommend me a good speaker cable quality tester that can tell me, how good or bad these cables are?

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
Re: How to test the quality of speaker cables?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »

Hello:
I am what we call an Audiophile. During my life I have had some of the best and very expensive equipments, including cables.
One thing I have learned along my experience with cables: there is no test that replaces your ears. Like tubes on amplifiers, they test quite badly, using the modern scientific tests, but they just sound better in my opinion. the Japanese equipments, for instance, have stellar specifications, but just a few specialized and very expensive brands have a n "audiophile Hi End sound and, usually, not so good specifications. So far IMO the specifications used don't translate in sound quality.
This is specially through with wires. They all sound different and as much as you use the best equipment. You should try some and see what happens. With cables, the analog connections are much more prone to different sound with different cables and the more expensive ones don't necessarily sound better.
On the digital signals we don't notice as much differences. They almost sound very similar, but there are differences, anyway.
The best thing you can do is to keep the connections clean. And by clean, I mean wipe them with a piece of clean tissue embedded in alcohol, if you don't have a special non corrosive liquid.
Try this, once every two weeks on all connectors and i can promise you that this is the best improvement you can have.~
How I wish to manage as well the Media Center and not be confused with such things as to recover a deleted album from library, or just to post a question on the forums.
Kind regards,
Urbanito

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:32:26 pm »

The primary factor that determines the quality of the cable is the number of strands that make up the wire. The finer the strands the better the quality, reason being is electricity flows over the strands/wire not through them, higher strand count equates to lower resistance.
Sean

trcns

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »

Both suggestions are very good. I will try to keep all connector clear. The strands are pretty thick. As there are three patches (from Amp to wall, inside the walls and from wall to speakers). But I was told that copper used in the cables matter. Each cable has resistance and based on purity of copper used defines the quality of cable, that’s what worries me. I don’t know the quality for copper used in these cables. Also the cable in the wall 12Gauge cable whereas cables outside the walls are breaded cables. So I don’t what I am getting to speakers.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:50:16 pm »

Yes the purity of the copper is important but since we don't have a way to check it or even prove a companies claim I don't put much thought into it.
Maybe a chemist would know how to test it. One of the other benefits of fine strands is that the space between the conductors is smaller leaving less
room for air and copper won't oxidize in the absence of oxygen.
Examples of quality and crap
Sean

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »

The primary factor that determines the quality of the cable is the number of strands that make up the wire. The finer the strands the better the quality, reason being is electricity flows over the strands/wire not through them, higher strand count equates to lower resistance.

No offence but that just is not true sound quality wise

There are many different types of cable multicore and solid core cables, copper, silver mixed etc at all price levels and quality and are all very subjective in how they sound.

There are cheap poor quality fine strand cable and expensive better sounding solid core cable and visia versa.

The percieved quality also depends on what equipment it is connecting too.

So really the only way of checking the sound quality of a cable is to demo it on your own system and see if you can tell the difference and decide which you prefer.
You cant measure that or know that by the number of strands etc.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »

How to test the quality of speaker cables?

Easy.  Your ears. Yes slightly pejorative answer but that is really the only thing that matters.

1) Obtain suggestions from like minded individuals you trust
2) Consult your budget
3) Cross reference #1 and #2 to find likely options
4) DEMO BEFORE YOU BUY (the ears again) - unless you can return without issue.

Support your local dealers and resist the urge to buy online.  They will in turn let you home demo anything you want, return purchases if not completely happy etc.

Good hunting!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:31 am »

I have some Speaker cables in the wall and some patch cables out of the wall. I don’t know the manufacturer of these cables but they look very good. I want to test the quality of these speaker cables, (not just connectivity at each end) how clean the signal can travel through these cables? Can somebody recommend me a good speaker cable quality tester that can tell me, how good or bad these cables are?
Check the diameter of the cable, check in a table what resistance the given diametre and length gives. If its below a threshold, your good to go.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:47:00 am »

Since the wires are in the wall I don't think they are anything like very expensive audiophile cables that may or may not be slightly audibly better than ordinary speaker cables.

Assuming the cables are solid and the sound that comes through doesn't seem to be anyhow audibly distorted the only thing to worry about is the wire resistance (as Elvis133 said).

Here is a down to earth article that explains this: http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/speaker-cable-gauge
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:44:06 pm »

The scientific approach (shame on us audiophiles :P ) would be: Measure the resistence, inductance, capacitance.  lower is better.

On a practical note:     You'll measure negilible impedence unless your cable is wound into a tight coil. You'll get negligible capacitance unless your cable is hundreds of feet long. Resistence is your only concern. Just use your ears. It is most noticable with woofers in the bass region.

The thicker (and shorter)  the speaker wire: The Tighter and more control the amp will have on the speaker, and so it will sound. (snappier,tighter, more detail,more restrictive,  lowwer Q)  Note : this will not help a speaker play deeper.

The thinner (and longer) the speaker wire:  The losser the amplifiers hold on the speaker will be. Allowing the speaker  to extend further, play deeper-louder, raises Q)   extending deep (rumble) ..  Note example : A speakerbox designer can offset a small and constrictive box design by  using a thinner wire.

The optimal speaker wire gauge will depend on your taste ,the Speaker design,box design, and amplifier (damping factor)

Thin wire is cheap, give it a lissen on a song with bass, compare from there.

Note: Though true, this doesn't apply in a practical way to low-level signal cables.

-Jeez, With post like these and my budget, I'll never get to call my self an Audiophile again :(

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 12:19:43 am »

The scientific approach (shame on us audiophiles :P ) would be: Measure the resistence, inductance, capacitance.  lower is better.

Not really my friend.  For some amplifiers use the speaker cable to help regulate the outputs.  The best Kimber cable made will sound like crap on Naim (olive) gear.

For example, Naim amps would "like" 3.5 meters of a particular inductance.  I just use their cables as they are VERY reasonable, all things considered.

-p

Just use you ears, they are NEVER wrong and really cant be.  Just like your eyes regarding a "hot chick".  To each their own.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up