INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA problem  (Read 11337 times)

gucascante

• Recent member
DLNA problem
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »

I use the MC17 as a DLNA server for streaming audio to my Marantz UD5005 universal player for essentially convert audio files in FLAC format to WAV format, but with the MC17 I constantly receive the following error message "PLB DMS Browse Fail" in the Marantz, that happens when I navigate between folders with files to find the songs, causing can not see the list of songs, does not crash completely (music continues playing), but I can not access the DLNA (MC17) again, that does not happen with the MC16 (I have both versions installed).

Here is the question: my actual license is for MC17, what should I do to exchange it for a MC16 licence instead?, since according to my tests, this is is a more stable version than the MC17 ... in other words. I prefer to downgrade to the prvious version.

Thanks a lot...

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA problem
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

What build of 17 are you using? If you are not using 17.0.85, would you try it to see if it works any better.

gucascante

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:51:14 pm »

I have installed the 17.0.82 build,  and when I check for a new version the screen says "JRiver Media Center is Up to date (17.0.82)" how can I get the version that you indicate (17.0.85)?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »

Top of the MC17 board, or set your update channel to Latest (Help > Update Channels).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gucascante

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:35:57 pm »

I installed the 17.0.85 build and run re-test, but did not work, still get the error message, this does not happen with version 16, I ask you again if it is possible to obtain a license number for this version, I do not worry that it is the previous version I prefer stability, the build installed is the 16.0.149.

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »

I'm also having problems with DLNA in the last few builds. I was previously using MC15 to play video with my DirecTV receiver and it worked fine. Now, when I navigate to the file I want to play and hit the play button, the receiver "thinks" for about 5-10 seconds then puts me back to the selection menu. I don't remember if I had this working when I first upgraded to MC17 or not (I think it did work earlier) but definitely has been broken for builds 82 and 85 if not more.

Are there known problems with DLNA right now?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:12:59 pm »

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »

Still getting the same problem with build 91

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:13 pm »

Playing around with it a little more, I found that audio works (mp3 files), and Images work once I changed to convert to JPEG (720 TV), but video still doesn't work. I have it configured just as a generic DLNA server and set video to always convert to Med bandwidth MPEG2 which is what used to work in MC15. Any ideas?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »

Playing around with it a little more, I found that audio works (mp3 files), and Images work once I changed to convert to JPEG (720 TV), but video still doesn't work. I have it configured just as a generic DLNA server and set video to always convert to Med bandwidth MPEG2 which is what used to work in MC15. Any ideas?
You could try setting the convert audio to "convert always" to "high bandwidth mp3" (I don't know your content so I'm guessing a bit).
The mpeg2 conversion logic has probably changed. If you try the mpeg2/dvd preset what happens??

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:17:01 pm »

I already had it set to "convert always", directv never worked any other way.

When I tried setting video conversion to MPEG2/DVD I get video but no sound. I don't remember of I ever tried that setting on older version of MC, so I'm not sure if that is different than before or not. If there are any other settings or info from my system I can provide that would help, just let me know. I could also setup a network sniffer if that would help, just let me know what to capture.

Another thing I tried last night was to install MC on my laptop and use it as a client on my laptop. That also failed to play video, and I got the "Something went wrong with playback" error message. I don't know if that is related, or if its a completely separate problem.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:09 pm »

I already had it set to "convert always", directv never worked any other way.

When I tried setting video conversion to MPEG2/DVD I get video but no sound. I don't remember of I ever tried that setting on older version of MC, so I'm not sure if that is different than before or not. If there are any other settings or info from my system I can provide that would help, just let me know. I could also setup a network sniffer if that would help, just let me know what to capture.
I guess that means it can't play the AC3 audio track from the MPEG2 DVD conversion. If it's like the older TiVo's it probably needs an MP2 audio track.
It also looks like we changed the presets form mp2 low, medium and high to do ac3 to support multichannel. We'll probably have to add a mp2/mp2 conversion back in.

Another thing I tried last night was to install MC on my laptop and use it as a client on my laptop. That also failed to play video, and I got the "Something went wrong with playback" error message. I don't know if that is related, or if its a completely separate problem.
You probably don't have the required decoders on the laptop. In this case you'd be using MC as a library server client and your other PC as the library server. The file would then be transferred as described in the "Client Options (when connected to a library server)" under video conversion.

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 05:04:34 pm »

You probably don't have the required decoders on the laptop. In this case you'd be using MC as a library server client and your other PC as the library server. The file would then be transferred as described in the "Client Options (when connected to a library server)" under video conversion.

I tried this both with and without video conversion enabled and got the same error. These same files play fine if I access them directly from my network, so i don't think its about having the right codecs on my client. It's very similar to my DLNA problem - both audio and images work, but video fails.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

I tried this both with and without video conversion enabled and got the same error. These same files play fine if I access them directly from my network, so i don't think its about having the right codecs on my client. It's very similar to my DLNA problem - both audio and images work, but video fails.
Interesting, what type of files are they?
I want to make sure I've got this right, one PC designated as the MC server has the files on them the laptop designated as the MC client is used for playback, you are pulling the files from the laptop from the server PC (not pushing them from the server PC)?
Same version (or close) of MC on both PC and laptop?

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:47:33 pm »

OK, so I've moved up to build 99 and still seeing the same problems. Any idea when the DLNA settings might be updated or made more configurable so I can get my setup working again?

As for using the MC Client/Server, I should actually say I still have a problem but it's worse now. I tried a couple different kinds of files. Most of my files are DIVX/XVID video in AVI containers. I'm not sure how to check the audio codec under Windows 7 (used to be in the file properties page in XP) but I think most are MP3 or AC3. Now instead of the error message I was getting before, the client just seems to hang. It goes to that "Opening..." video screen with the MC logo, and stays there forever. I also tried some MPEG2 files and got the same result. When this happens, MC on the client is completely hung and the only way I can get control back is to go into Task Manager and kill the MediaCenter.exe process.

And again, all of these files play fine natively if I play them directly on either the client or server, its only playing from the shared library over the network that I get these hangs.

connersw

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:29:04 am »

I am having the same DirecTV issue on my HR22.  Audio and Images work without issue, but I can not get sound playing Video.  I just tried MC 17.0.99 running on a Win 7 x64 machine (brand new build w/ i7/8GB RAM).  Advanced settings are set with only DLNA checked.  I have tried all the MPEG2 settings.  

MPEG2 and MPEG2 PAL low/med/high do not work.  Certain .avi container titles show up with an x (unplayable).  The titles that show the camera go to please wait, black screen, then auto close back to the previous channel.  One note, less files show up with the x using the PAL option.

MPEG2/DVD Stream:  Again, certain .avi containers and .wmv show up with the x (unplayable).  Most playable titles give the error message "the audio was unplayable, play video without audio" with yes or no options.  Some (certain .avi containers) just play the video without audio with no error message.

MPEG2/DVD PAL Stream: Oddly enough, this gives me the "best" results.  All titles show up with the camera (playable).  However, I still either get a no playable audio error message or the video just plays without audio.  

I have not dove into which .avi containers are using what codecs, audio tracks, etc since none work--just sort of been scanning through my library trying to get something to play.  Also, I should note that these files play fine in the MC on the PC.

It appears that this is an issue that has been broken since MC15: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62603.0

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:42 pm »

An upcoming build has two added DLNA video profiles: Mpeg2 PAL and Mpeg2 NTSC with Mpeg-2 audio rather than AC-3.  Please try these out and let us know if they work on your devices.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:11 pm »

It's working for me now on 17.0.106. Oddly, I had to choose the new MPEG2/DVD/PAL with Mpeg2 audio to get it to work, but the NTSC version did not work. I thought PAL was the European standard and NTSC was used in the US. Do I have that backwards?

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:49 am »

You're right, NTSC is U.S. vs. PAL for Europe.  However we had the frame rate set at 24 for NTSC which is "film" mode which your device may not like.  Next build will use 29.97 for frame rate.  Let us know if that works better for you.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up