INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surround sound channels to multiple audio output devices  (Read 6483 times)

sbrewin

Surround sound channels to multiple audio output devices
« on: February 10, 2012, 04:55:33 am »

I would like to direct decoded surround sound channels to multiple audio output devices. For instance, front left and right to audio output device 1, rear left and right to audio output device 2, and so forth. Is this possible and if so how?

Each audio output device would be connected to stereo amplification, allowing me to avoid the need for a separate surround sound processor or AV receiver.

Cheers
Steve

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Surround sound channels to multiple audio output devices
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:36:20 am »

Can't you do this already ?
What kind of soundcard is in your PC ? You would need at least a 5.1 enabled soundcard and then go analog from its loudspeaker connections to a line-in on your stereo receivers.

Or were you thinking of using digital connections ?

sbrewin

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:06:23 am »

The intention was to avoid the need for an AV receiver by passing signals decoded within MediaCenter to multiple S/PDIF output channels feeding external DACs. As Windows views each channel pair as a separate audio output device, to do 5.1 surround for example, one would need the ability to route to 3 audio output devices within MediaCenter.

Cheers
Steve

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:56:58 am »

I would like to direct decoded surround sound channels to multiple audio output devices. For instance, front left and right to audio output device 1, rear left and right to audio output device 2, and so forth. Is this possible and if so how?

Each audio output device would be connected to stereo amplification, allowing me to avoid the need for a separate surround sound processor or AV receiver.

I believe what you want is possible using Zones

Be sure to check out this thread, which includes a screenshot of the Channel Selection options

sbrewin

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:31 am »

Thanks, Zones seems to be exactly what is required. Easy when you know how!

Cheers
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up