INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Link to External Program (ie Hulu Desktop) within Theater View?  (Read 3342 times)

Sparkimus

I just started using Media Center about a month ago, and I've been so pleased with both the program and information available that I haven't even needed to post until today.  ;D

Here's the thing I cannot figure out: can you still set up a link to an external program (for example, Hulu Desktop) so that you can launch that program from Theater View?  I cannot for the life of me figure out where this option is located. (I am running Media Center 17.0.82.0.)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Link to External Program (ie Hulu Desktop) within Theater View?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:44:26 pm »

Tools > Options > Theater View

Add a new item under Items To Show, select External Program.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:49:02 pm »

Welcome.

You might try Video > Hulu as well.  It works pretty well in v17.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sparkimus

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:55 am »

Tools > Options > Theater View

Add a new item under Items To Show, select External Program.

I need to drink some more coffee.  Items to Show -- front and center, and I still missed it!  Thank you.

You might try Video > Hulu as well.  It works pretty well in v17.

It does, and I would be happy using it, but my captions don't seem to differentiate between Hulu and Netflix Tv Shows and my archive TV Shows.  The same holds for Netflix Movies and archived Movies.  While the information shown by my captions are adequate in the Movies, TV Shows, and Netflix views, it makes it difficult to navigate the Hulu view.  (I create a lot of my own problems.)

Maxxwire

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:00:18 am »

I have v17.0.165 installed and when I go to Theater View>Hulu no matter what selection I make under any heading when I try to play it I get this same message...

Something went wrong with playback.
Details: The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on the disk.

I have never seen this message before when trying to watch Hulu programming and I am wondering what I can do to be able to play selections from Hulu again. I have tried going back to watching Hulu with a browser, but the high quality of Media Center playback has so spoiled me that its very hard to watch in that I now know how great Hulu can look.

I did try going back to using v17.0.160 which was before this problem started, but the same message is displayed each time I try to play a selection from Hulu.

Any ideas about what I might be able to do to return things to normal? 

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 07:05:13 am »

Have you customised any of the video decoders?

As far as I know, Hulu uses flash.

Last time I saw this error when trying to acces internet flash content (YouTube) I needed to change my video decoder and specifically list the video codecs I wanted it to affect.

To explain further, I had specified MC to use the Microsoft DTV Decoder when playing video, which was useless for flv files (duh!) so I had to specifically list jtv and ts format for the decoder.

I then stopped getting the error you are. 

Maxxwire

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »

Have you customized any of the video decoders?

imugli- Thank you for your response. In answer to your question, no I have not customized any of the video decoders in fact I wouldn't know how if I tried. Could you possibly guide me through the JMRC GUI so that I can check to see what video decoder is currently being used for Hulu? Thanks

Maxxwire

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 04:47:10 am »

I did a fresh install of the latest version of MC and paid special attention that the flash codec was included, but Theater view> Hulu still gave me the same message,,, 'The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on the disk'. I'm wondering why MC thinks I'm trying to find a file?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:38:29 am »

I did a fresh install of the latest version of MC and paid special attention that the flash codec was included, but Theater view> Hulu still gave me the same message,,, 'The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on the disk'. I'm wondering why MC thinks I'm trying to find a file?
I started having this same problem last week sometime. I've been using Hulu from within Media Center for at least a few months now and I've made no changes to video settings, so I think it is related to something else. I haven't tried to debug the issue myself yet and have been using Hulu Desktop via a Theater View shortcut as originally discussed by the OP. So all I know is that the files do really exist on Hulu's servers.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 03:43:24 pm »

It looks like native Hulu support isn't working right now.  We'll take a look this week.

It's a bit of a cat and mouse thing since they don't provide a nice SDK.

spksmom

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:22:15 am »

Thanks so much for continuing to bring us features like this! I've also been streaming Hulu through Theater View for the last few months, and suddenly started getting that same message in the last week or so. I was bummed, because I'd gotten really spoiled. I bought MC for music, but have been delighted with its video capabilities (since I finally coughed up for cable internet.) You guys are great.
Judy

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:12 am »

This will be fixed next build, hopefully available in a few days.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Maxxwire

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 10:09:33 am »

Thank you so much for such a super quick Hulu fix!

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:34:25 pm »

I'm running mc 17.0.182 and I am getting the same error from Hulu in theater view about it can't find the file.

Netflix and Youtube work, and Hulu works in the chrome browser.  Is there a special flash installation that needs to happen somewhere?  A setting somewhere that I need to tweak?

RGBlues

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »

I'm running mc 17.0.182 and I am getting the same error from Hulu in theater view about it can't find the file.

Netflix and Youtube work, and Hulu works in the chrome browser.  Is there a special flash installation that needs to happen somewhere?  A setting somewhere that I need to tweak?

Looks like the Hulu linkage is broke again. Went back to 172 and still get the message. What say you Matt or Jim?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »

Hulu changed their site.  We're working on a fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up