INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I connect with Gizmo from internet without setting up a static internal IP?  (Read 8650 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen

I can connect to my library server with Gizmo from inside my local network. It also seems to do a good job of magically knowing what my external IP and tries to connect to it if the internal IP fails. I want to get it working with the external IP, and I understand that one way I could do that would be to set up a static internal IP for my server and set up port forwarding on my router to have 52199 traffic go to that static internal IP. But, setting up a static internal IP is annoying.

I asked my networking friend if it's possible to do this without a static internal IP, and he said it is as long as the router and MC both support UPnP. Both do. So I asked him what steps I had to take, and said 0 - it should just work. It doesn't.

Is there any way I can connect from the outside without my server having a static internal IP?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Your don't need to have a static address on the outside, but your router needs to forward packets on port 52199 to your server inside.

The topic called "Network Access" on our wiki has more information.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen

Yeah I read the Network Access article. I understand I don't need a static external IP from Time Warner, but the only way I know how to do it requires I have a static IP within my own network (that's why I used the term "static internal IP").

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Your internal server would need an address you can forward to from the router.

bob

• Administrator

Most routers can hand out a fixed address via DHCP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up