INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you wish to have a Play-to Device option in Media center?

Yes
No
No Reply

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Option similar to Air play  (Read 2298 times)

svkndv

• Recent member
Feature Request - Option similar to Air play
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:47:54 pm »

Currently I play my music on Denon 3312 from Media centre through DLNA server.

But if you could provide an option like airplay it would be even better.

Playing through media server is not even using 1% capability of Media centre 17. But if you can add an option similar to Airplay we can use all those excellent pre-processing options including Equalizer before streaming via LAN to amplifier.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request - Option similar to Air play
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:26:35 am »

++1

Not something like AirPlay. 100% compatible AirPlay is what I want.

rowens

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:25:24 am »

++1

Not something like AirPlay. 100% compatible AirPlay is what I want.

+++1

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:25:34 pm »

That'd be ideal!...but perhaps tighter integration with the 3rd party Airfoil software could be a good 1st step?

http://rogueamoeba.com/utm/2011/04/06/airfoil-integration/

brad

rjm

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:06:44 pm »

Followed by Air Video type functionality where the server transcodes video to iPad compatible format on the fly and then sends via AirPlay to desired viewing device. MC team could retire after completing this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:10:57 pm »

We're following DLNA, which is an open industry standard.  Don't expect support for Apple protocols.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:23:18 pm »

I assume you do not dump Windows for the open standard Linux because you can make more money with Windows. Are you sure there is not more money for you to make by supporting Apple stuff? I'm not an Apple fan boy, but their market cap is up there with Exon, and my family has 4 iPads, 5 iPods, 1 iPhone, 1 AppleTV, 1 Airport Express, and none of that open standard stuff. If it's not legal or technically feasible to support Apple stuff then I fully understand your strategy.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:50:41 pm »

Apple isn't exactly forthcoming with documentation on their protocols, either.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:47:44 pm »

@rjm
You should never let one brand dominate you bank account. Brand loyalty is not a good idea these days. I'm sure you bought those Apple products because they appealed to your eyes.
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:07:56 am »

On the day JRemote can play a lossless acc stream from MC everything will be fine with AirPlay (for audio). Untill then, you may wan't to try WiFi2HiFi to achieve something similar. Not quite 100% audiophile, but works with almost everything.

If MC can convert video on the fly some day (it really should to make video and gizmo a fun thing...), apps like JRemote can also take advantage of that for supporting AirPlay/AppleTV. Untill then, AirVideo is a good solution to get video from Windows to Apple toys.

So there is not much need for special JRiver Apple stuff investments. Just a litte help for some developers to get some things running...

svkndv

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:32 am »

Is it possible to process the audio with DSP & equalizer settings before pushing it through DLNA server to DLNA capable player?

Currently equalizer or DSP settings doesn't have any effect when playing through DLNA.

Once this ability is achieved then with existing option it would be equal to airplay.

stubbo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »

Can't help but think there is a trick being missed here. Every option available is nothing more than a kludge that only kinda works.

I've tried Airfoil, but that doesn't like running on my windows server as the speakers get cut off if I connect in to remote admin it (it's just dead flaky on my system). I did manage to get airfoil working on my desktop (after lots of help and a few bug fixes from the support guys), but that just puts another link in the chain and I don't want to leave my workstation on as well as my server.

I've got plenty of DLNA devices, and they are all kind of so so, nothing really works well and there is no universal level of quality and support between any of them so I just end up not using them. I can get DLNA remote apps on my iPad and iPhone that I can then connect to Airplay, but again I've got to ask why am I bouncing this stuff all over the place.

I get the user experience I want with iTunes running on my server and using the apple remote app to control it and send the audio wherever I want around the house, I just loath iTunes as a music management application.

I get why DLNA is where MC is targetted, and the fact that airplay isn't officially available to anyone to use, but if it was am additional cost option to allow the extra licensing fee to be paid to apple to use it and it allowed selection of one or more target zones (airport devices) in the same way they work already in JRiver, I would bet you could double your subscriber base overnight (almost).

How about at the least being able to allow 3rd party plugins to handle JRiver output so they could route it instead. Direct X just gets confussed with the speakers on my server because of the remote admin feature so I would need something (like DNLA) that steers away from speaker output (unlike Airfoil).

Or as a last resort, if there is some enterprising developer out there, how about a straight forward app that acts as a bridge between DNLA and airplay, both ways would be great.

Right now I've got a lot of expensive kit and I can't reliably get any music out of any of it unless I sit in front of my PC.

stubbo

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:08 am »

Following up on my own post, but PlugPlayer is a good bridge app for your iPhone or iPad, but obviously the library interaction is down to the DLNA support and app provider, plus the music is streamed once across the network to my device, then again on to the Airplay devices, one more hop that it really needs to be.

What would be much nicer would be a simple DLNA to AirPlay bridge that runs on the PC and appears as a renderer to Media Center, then I can simply use the well integrated JRemote or MCRemote applications that are much better options in my opinion.

I understand why these apps work well on the iPad/iPhone as Airplay is natively supported, so its a bit of a no brainer, just a shame apple are so closed about their protocols.
Pages: [1]   Go Up