INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] MC 17- NO OTA Playback, Won't Scan CLEAR QAM Channels  (Read 3765 times)

theaterdesign

• Recent member

Downloaded the MC 17 to check it out as an upgrade and have several 17-specific issues:

1.   MC 16 plays ASTC OTA TV pretty good for me. But MC 17 just will not play OTA video for me, AV is always seconds out of sync, tons of other flaky stuff. And then this, tried it today and got this message: "Digital TS render streams to write-failed to build upperstream graph. No combination of immediate filters could be found to............... " i am Using Red October standard with acceleration disabled.

2. With dual MSI Digivox USB tuners, I have tried pretty much everything to tune the Comcast clear QAM channels but it will not detect any of the clear Qams that my HDTV will tune. Is an XP PC/MC17 setup able to do QAM or do I need a different OS to get Qam with MC 17?

Setup:
Quad Phenom II X4/4 gigs ram/onboard ATI Radeon HD3300 graphics/DVI out
WIN XP SP2
2 MSI Digivox TSC/Quam USB tuner
Asynchronous USB audio

Have tried:
Reinstalling MC 17

Updated chipset drivers from AMD to latest version

I do use the Norton antivirus provided by Comcast with my web, but I run it pretty wide open. ie: no Norton or windows firewall, just use the router firewall, so I doubt it's anything like that.

Another symptom on my OTA playback issues in MC17 is that just like clockwork it freezes a vid frame momentarily every 2 sec. Does the same on recorded OTA, even the ones that were recorded and worked with MC 16. MC 17 Plays Netflix fine.  

OK, I've worked this some more and here some additional details: In MC 17, some of the OTA ASTC channels play without the freeze frame/ AV sync issues. Most of them (of course the ones I like) have difficulty tuning and/or the freeze frame and AV sync issues. ALL OF THEM PLAY IN MC16.... go figure! Great PQ on the working ones in 17.
Thanks, David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 17- NO OTA Playback, Won't Scan CLEAR QAM Channels
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:55:08 pm »

Please make sure you have the latest build.  It's MC17.0.99, available from the top of the MC17 board.  QAM is new.

theaterdesign

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:14:36 am »

Thanks Jim-

Per your suggestion, downloaded 17.99/rebooted still the same, momentary freezing video lagging behind audio.
Will not scan qam.
Did know that qam was new and is one of the reasons for wanting to upgrade. MC QAM will work on an XP SP2 operating system correct?
The grid-style guide is a touch of class for ease of use!
Thank you.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:34:42 am »

As far as I can tell, QAM should work on XP SP2.

Please email me a log.  yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

theaterdesign

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:56:39 pm »

Log Emailed as notepad attachment, thank you.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:09:34 pm »

Do you still have MC16 installed?  If so, please try making a successful play of a channel and email me a log of that so I can make some comparisons?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

theaterdesign

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:08:08 am »

MC 16 successful play log log emailed, Thank you.

theaterdesign

• Recent member
Re: [Solved] MC 17- NO OTA Playback, Won't Scan CLEAR QAM Channels
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »

We were in the process of Yaobing looking at logs, etc on this problem and he was unavailable for awhile. So, like any good computer audiophile, I got impatient and went to work! My machine had quite a bit of software installed/removed since it's build in the search to get some nice asynchronous USB sound out of it, and was getting some freezes in both 16, 17 of JR.
SO, wiped the HD partition for OS and did a clean install of XP from my OEM disc. Had to set bios to the known defaults to get XP to install, so may have had a setting jacked up in there? Was really careful reinstalling drivers to get the right ones/install just once, etc. Only Aiso4All for the USB DAC, onboard sound disabled. Ended up with a pretty fast install of XP with indexing, auto updates off, windows security center/firewall off. Then very limited software install: WMP, never even opened and configured, Chrome 4 the browser, just MC 17 and needed the weird/annoying/but it works Imon as the driver/remapper for my particular Antech IR sensor.

So far my recording/real time watching of OTA TV is much better. I still have not tried an install of the second tuner for a QAM scan, am going to use J River as is for awhile and make sure it's stable before tackling the QAM thing.

So now have a machine running great using only the router firewall and NO antivirus either. Does anyone have a recommendation for antivirus that is friendly to J River? Comcast gives me Norton, that did not seem to work so well before. Thanks!   

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:16:01 am »

Microsoft Security Essentials is recommended by a lot of people on the AVS forum. I run it too. And it's free.
I did have an issue with it and MC a while back, but I removed/uninstalled it, downloaded it again (got a newer version) and all has been good so far.

theaterdesign

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:04:11 pm »

Thanks CB! I'll give that a shot then.

Here is a bit of additional info discovered for multimedia users with the AMD/ATI 790 GX chipset with Radeon HD3300 integrated graphics, boards with these integrated graphics were fairly popular when I built my machine and perform pretty well. EXCEPT FOR driver support and ATI Catalyst control center are quirky as hell!! Here's a few things I discovered:

1. It is a pretty much every time occurrence that when you update the drivers on many ATI equipped setups that Catalyst Control Center (CCC) disappears. Often, the drivers still work, but you need to access CCC for overscan adjustments and some of the other important detailed settings needed in an HTPC setup. This is from a crazy defect in the ATI install software and you often need to do some other procedures involving manually removing "Public Key Token" entries. The following procedure worked for me: http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/195195-fix-catalyst-control-center-ccc-will-not-open-install.html

2. Also, do take the time to look up/follow the ATI/AMD driver update instructions, with the graphics driver it is imperative to first uninstall the previous version.

3. Finally, every time I have upgraded to the latest driver version on my ATI equipped machines, I have always gotten plenty of sucky video artifacts as the reward. Flickers, freezes you name it! That was very time consuming to trouble shoot and research. On my setup with the Biostar TA790 GXE with the Radeon HD330 graphics, it was necessary to disable side port memory in the bios and the artifacts finally disappeared. This probably reduces vid capabilities for gaming or whatever, but for HTPC use it was worth it, I have a great pic now.

Hope this helps & saves someone needing to Google as many hours as it took to figure this out. Keep in mind that I am running XP/SP2 so I do not know if these issues affect Vista/7 OS machines.    
Pages: [1]   Go Up