INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Image ratings from Photo Gallery  (Read 1187 times)

Chris Main

• Recent member
Importing Image ratings from Photo Gallery
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:00:02 pm »

Hi - Long term user, in various flavours, but recently been getting serious ....

I've trawled the forums, and done my best to figure this out myself, but I cannot figure out how to have MC display Ratings of images applied previously (in WL Photo Gallery.. but essentially windows 7).

I have thousands of these, and most tagged by my wife, so right now this is the biggest obstacle in the way of complete acceptance of JRiver as a one-stop, since we cannot view 4 & 5 star images.

Now - I know how to edit ratings, and I tried a new expression field and tried to have this field written to during import..  but I can't get anything to work.. all images show "? stars" in the rating filed, though most everything else comes through.

Any help much appreciated..
CHris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing Image ratings from Photo Gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »

If it's in a well known tag, you may be able to add it.  The name must match exactly.

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:21:53 pm »

I have the same problem. The ratings in my music files (mp3) are imported correctly but the ratings from my photos (jpg) are not.

Chris Main

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:45 am »

I think I've tried to add this as a tag during import.. as far as I can tell, the rating tag in windows for images is "Rating", and the corresponding tag name in MC is clearly also "Rating"

So, initially I assumed this would happen automatically, but all my images have a tag of Rating = ? stars.

I then added in to the auto import section; and added
Rating=Rating
Rating =Field(Rating)

I also tried the expression column trick (as used in allowing TV shows to be set to unwatched) and created a field called ChangeR which was an expression field "Field(Rating) - and I can see that changes in this column affect the rating..
So I added Rating=Filed(ChangeR)

But to no avail...

It would seem to me that the actual name of the rating tag applied by Windows 7 and Windows Live photo gallery is either not really called "Rating" - or there is some problem in accessing the data in the XML .. but my knowledge runs out at this point.. I've read into EXIF and other data schemes for images..

.. but this would seem to me to be quite a big real... I mean there is clearly a view in Theater View called "Highly rated images" - yet this cannot function if the rating has been applied by Windows..

Of course, I may have this all wrong.. the more I dig into MC the more capable I find it to be... 

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »

You need to look at the raw file tag to see it's name. To do so, open the Tag Action Window and click on the first line that shows [File Type]-[Dimensions]-[Size]. That's a link to the file tag window. Try using the exact name inside the angle brackets.

cgf

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »

I select an image, go to actions\tag but I cannot find the line you mention. I see only the tags of the image file.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up