Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metro  (Read 2654 times)

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Alpha/Betatester
Metro
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:18:19 pm »

A Little Question, will be there any Support for Windows 8 Metro in the Feature ?
Yes i like the Metro-Style a Metro-Style Skin would be also nice to have.
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Metro
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:38:33 am »

A Little Question, will be there any Support for Windows 8 Metro in the Feature ?
Yes i like the Metro-Style a Metro-Style Skin would be also nice to have.
We're still thinking about what to do for Metro.

MrHaugen

Re: Metro
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:33:36 am »

Information on what's playing now would be the most obvious. As you can't interact with the Metro bricks, there is little else to do right? Then the question is what the item will launch. MC in standard or theater view? The latter would probably be the best thing for pad users. A very simplified interface for metro could also be developed/used. But I think that Theater view would be just as good, as long as some small changes is done to improve touch and multi touch experience perhaps. This however would rule out ARM I guess.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:38:44 am »

The information on the tile could be the current title with image plus the next title.
And it should be open the theater view. "C:\Windows\System32\MC17.exe /Mode Theater"

Information on what's playing now would be the most obvious. As you can't interact with the Metro bricks, there is little else to do right? Then the question is what the item will launch. MC in standard or theater view? The latter would probably be the best thing for pad users. A very simplified interface for metro could also be developed/used. But I think that Theater view would be just as good, as long as some small changes is done to improve touch and multi touch experience perhaps. This however would rule out ARM I guess.
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »

As you can't interact with the Metro bricks, there is little else to do right?
I haven't played too much with my install of windows eight. My initial experience was not a good one. I had to resort to google to find out how to shut the system down, which somehow, kind of annoyed me. Anyhoo, in the short time I played, I learned that "Metro Internet Explorer" and "Desktop Internet Explorer" are not the same thing. That's all I learned, mind you, I've no idea what the difference is, but one of my thoughts on this was along the lines of "I wonder if J River will do anything like that with MC?" Perhaps a kind of "Quick Play" interface in there, or allow an image slide show to run....

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »

I'll repeat my belief from one of the build threads that it's a horrible concept.
Tried it, and found it horribly restrictive and limiting, not something I want anywhere near my PC or phone for that matter.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole personally, and while it has *some* merits for the handheld sphere of devices, I wouldn't waste too much time on it.
Having said that, a Metro-style theatre view skin may well be an essential in terms of attracting customers.

-Leezer-

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:52:19 pm »

I'll repeat my belief from one of the build threads that it's a horrible concept.
Tried it, and found it horribly restrictive and limiting, not something I want anywhere near my PC or phone for that matter.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole personally, and while it has *some* merits for the handheld sphere of devices, I wouldn't waste too much time on it.
Having said that, a Metro-style theatre view skin may well be an essential in terms of attracting customers.

-Leezer-

My thoughts exactly on all points. I installed it on an extra drive the day after it was released played around for a few hours and haven't been back since.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:32:20 pm »

I haven't played too much with my install of windows eight. My initial experience was not a good one. I had to resort to google to find out how to shut the system down, which somehow, kind of annoyed me. Anyhoo, in the short time I played, I learned that "Metro Internet Explorer" and "Desktop Internet Explorer" are not the same thing. That's all I learned, mind you, I've no idea what the difference is, but one of my thoughts on this was along the lines of "I wonder if J River will do anything like that with MC?" Perhaps a kind of "Quick Play" interface in there, or allow an image slide show to run....

Metro IE does not support any browser plugins (even Silverlight and certainly not Flash).
Metro IE is optimized for touch input, Desktop is not (at ALL).

More details: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/09/metro-style-internet-explorer-10-ditches-flash-plugins.ars
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:51 am »

I don't personally have a strong opinion about Metro, but this video of Chris Pirillo's dad using Metro cracked me up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v4boTbv9_nU
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:30 pm »

I don't personally have a strong opinion about Metro, but this video of Chris Pirillo's dad using Metro cracked me up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v4boTbv9_nU

That was good.

I have mixed feelings about Metro.  I'm afraid it is going to turn out like Vista: A lot of good ideas, crippled by hit-or-miss execution.  But, there is still time.  Microsoft has a LOT of smart people working for them.

EDIT:  I should also add, I'm also not at all convinced about their core philosophy of "one Windows to rule them all".  I've played with the Windows 8 preview release in a VM a bit.  Metro would be very good on a tablet.  A few aspects of it would be nice on the desktop (particularly my HTPC), but I am not convinced that it is better than Windows 7 as a user interface on a desktop operating system.  Yes.  It works.  But I think the Windows 7 Start Button and Taskbar is better than (in almost all ways) the Windows XP counterpart (which was better than Windows 2000 and ME/98/95)  Is Metro better for desktops?

I understand why they chose to do it, but I don't know that it was the right choice.  It feels forced to me.

That choice is going to make their execution of the idea all-the-more crucial, because it is very difficult to pull off.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »

I wish Microsoft would let the me-too products go, and double-down on the desktop.  Give me reasons to need and want a Windows desktop.

Make sure Windows is the premium entertainment platform.  They've let Xbox get in the way of this -- Kinect came to PC as an afterthought, they've neutered Flight Simulator, etc.

Improve Office on the desktop (Office.com is mostly information about web apps right now).

Make and sell (in a free, fair way) nice desktop software.  I used to buy Microsoft Money every version until they discontinued it.

Work hard to make desktop developers' lives easier.  And please don't call desktop applications 'Legacy' applications in your marketing.

My two cents.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:35:08 pm »

I like to see both a Desktop and tablet version of Windows 8.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:33 am »

I really don't get all the metro hate...

I think you need to install win8 clean to get the best feel for it.  I am running it on an asus u36 laptop with a sata 3 ssd and 16gb of ram and it is so much faster and more responsive than the same machine with win7 it is a joke, it is like a completely different machine.  I also think that it takes a bit of getting used to but the metro interface just has so many advatages over a static desktop.  The ability to consolidate all of your information with real time updates in one window simply can't be ignored.  If you take the time to actually setup it up properly there is just no way that you can say that a static desktop and start menu has a single advatange over the metro interface.  Everything you can do with the win7 start menu can be recreated in a more efficient way through metro.  It has taken some tweaking sure but the end result is far superior.

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:15 am »

I also think that most people will like Metro after getting used to it. But it takes some time and possibly a few tweaks for some. It is however a bit easier to use with touch or keyboard than with a mouse today. I hope this is improved. Only concrete I hope for is that MS allows for flicking of the metro screen, so it can be more intuitive and fast to use with a mouse. Instead of dragging the tiles all over every time you try to flick things. Perhaps this is possible today with some tweaks?

I've seen many videos of old men trying out Win8. They are complaining about no visual indicators for the start menu/metro interface. I have a windows icon on the lower left of my taskbar. Have I installed some strange version that no one else has? Or is it some GPO settings activated in AD at my work place?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:49 am »

I think meto could be great for multimedia interfaces, will it be better than stuff out there now, probably not and there's the catch.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:11 am »

I Have used W8 as my primary OS about a week, and I must say that I find Metro better than the old start-menu... But it is even nearly as good as Stardock´s Start8, which makes Metro behave like start-menu... It does make start-button at the taskbar, but it opens Metro UI. Hard to explain with my poor english skills, so I have taken screenshot for you :)
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64
Pages: [1]   Go Up