INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linking toTitle - Name  (Read 2106 times)

kkmc996

• Recent member
Linking toTitle - Name
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:04:50 am »

Hello,
I searched in the Manuals and in the forum, but I am probably not looking for the right expression.
So let me explain, what I mean.

You can customize your views. In some of them e.g. interpret, album, genre, a sign with an arrow appears. This arrow gives you direct access (link) to all titles of this album, or everything you have in your library under a specific genre.
Is there a way to apply this feature to Name???
This would be extremely helpful to clean up your DB if the Interpret is misspelled.

Thank you in advance

Karl

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Linking toTitle - Name
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:56:39 pm »

These "Linkable Columns" are currently only implemented, as you've seen, for a few fields.

For now, you can use the Search box/wizard to accomplish what you're trying to do.  It is pretty smart, and will help you with the misspellings or close approximations.  As you type, files are narrowed to the possible matches.

For these types of projects, its best to create a panes Standard view that includes the Name column, along with whatever else you want.  Then, you can sort by Name and work from that.

There are all sorts of other techniques that you can use to cleanup your library fields and tags, and you'll learn these over time (MC is loaded with features).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

kkmc996

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:21:39 pm »

MrC,

Thank you for your quick response. I am using MC since MC 10. I am liking it very much because of its great tagging capabilities and the speed.
So maybe you can put my request on the list for MC 18. I know and like the powerful search function. But if you look for a title you have to go to the field, press F2, ctrl C, go to search type [Name]="ctrl V" and then you get what you want......
So, the linkable feature of the name field would be great and a big time saver... and most possibly easy to implement.

I am looking forward upgrading to MC 18.

THX

Karl

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:20 pm »

FYI - I'm just a user/customer, like you.

JRiver reads all posts, so rest assured they've heard your request (others have asked for the ability to add additional fields to Linkable Columns).

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:05 pm »

I think a more versatile feature would be to add Search to the context menu (i.e., it would search for the value of the selected field or, if in edit mode, the selected text).

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »

These "Linkable Columns" are currently only implemented, as you've seen, for a few fields.

I think Name would be a great addition to the linkable columns. I use the Artist and Album links all the time, but I've never touched Genre. 

I use Locate > Name to accomplish the same goal, but Name isn't one of the default choices under Locate so I have to scroll though the Advanced section to find it. I have my recent right-clicks set to the maxmim (8), but it still disappears from the list on a regular basis.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:24:44 pm »

I like rick.ca's idea - a Search by the selected field (similar to how Click-Click-to-Edit selects/edits a field).

kkmc996

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:24:08 am »

rick.ca's idea would be helpful and in other cases more powerful and versatile, since this can be done with all fields. Also a [name] could be reduced to a minimum to find misspelled titles.
On the other hand [name] is one of the most important fields and a direct link there would be (at least for me) very helpful.

THX

Karl

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 07:11:14 am »

I think a more versatile feature would be to add Search to the context menu (i.e., it would search for the value of the selected field or, if in edit mode, the selected text).

Instead of adding a new Search option, you could make the Locate menu context sensitive; the currently selected field would always appear in the Locate submenu, appearing above the other tag options (Artist, Album etc).

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »

Instead of adding a new Search option, you could make the Locate menu context sensitive; the currently selected field would always appear in the Locate submenu, appearing above the other tag options (Artist, Album etc).

That would be an improvement to the existing Locate context menu, but not as convenient as a simple Search for {selected value} on the main context menu. The idea is it would just feed the selected value to Search, and the existing suggestion system would find matches and partial matches in any field. For example, searching for a [Name] value would find other track and album names containing the same value. It's something quite different from Locate, and not an exact substitute for those wanting more Linked Fields (but would still reduce the need for them).

kkmc996

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:34:22 pm »

rick.ca I like this....

Karl
Pages: [1]   Go Up