INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Audio with MC17  (Read 1820 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Tagging Audio with MC17
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:19:31 pm »

I have been running some tests comparing taggig within MC17 and winamp.

MC17 uses JRiver YADB.com whereas winamp uses Gracenote.

Many songs that I try to tag fail within YADB wheras winamp has no problems.  I find that I am now updatnig tags within winamp and then refreshing within MC17.  

Is there a way to change the databse searched within MC17?  YADB really seems to be inferior to gracenote.

dave

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Tagging Audio with MMC17
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:43:38 pm »

+1
gracenote, musicbrainz. something.

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:16:38 am »

I believe the MC team has decided long ago that they would only use data from their own service instead of adding additional sources such as those you guys have suggested.

If you do some searches, you will find that this "topic" comes up now and then.

I personally find YADB's database the smallest/restrictive for my collection so I go through the process of tagging using other apps and updating MC17 from "update from tags". Yeah it's really tedious and...I'm not sure why they insist on it that way since the improvements being done for videos (e.g. TVDB and IMDB etc) has been nothing short of amazing compared to before.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:23:04 am »

MC uses YADB.  If it doesn't find a match, it also searches FreeDB.  FreeDB was added a couple of years ago.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:55:15 am »

I'm not sure why they insist on it that way since the improvements being done for videos (e.g. TVDB and IMDB etc) has been nothing short of amazing compared to before.
Concurs.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:32:21 am »

The more I use MC, the more I like it...  (I just purchased it after going through the 30 day trial) except for tagging which is quite limited in my opinion.  Again, I would suggest that there be a way to add additional databases for searching.  Winamp is by far superior in providing tagging to files.

Please consider this for future updates.

dave

221bBS

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:09:02 am »

I don't use MC tagging either, I use MusicBrainz to tag my music. The info is then sliced and diced into custom fields and finally I use an expression field to display my tags. The default fields are a copy of these expression fields and used to monitor changes in my data. I can easily modify an expression to conform to how most people tag their music and send this info to YADB. That is if MC allowed me to send expression fields instead of the default fields.

I have a pretty good music library and my tags are pretty darn good. I would love to summit my collection to YADB but don't want to flood the database with my tags.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:49 am »

I have a pretty good music library and my tags are pretty darn good. I would love to summit my collection to YADB but don't want to flood the database with my tags.
Why not?  Please do.

221bBS

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 10:40:17 am »

Why not?  Please do.

I don't because the default tags (name, artist, album, date fields) contains what other people would consider extra or incorrect information.

example:
My soundtrack date field contains the date of the original premiere date of the movie/show, the release date for the album is contained in a custom date field.

Most of my live tracks contain extra info on when and where the performance took place, normally people just put (live) at the end of the name.

Version info is contained in brackets where as most people uses parenthesis.

Featured artists info is not in the name/artist field but stored in a custom field.

Album name contains a LOT of additional info.

All this can be fixed easily if I was allowed to send in expression fields, which I would create just to send the info to you guys.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:47:47 pm »

All this can be fixed easily if I was allowed to send in expression fields, which I would create just to send the info to you guys.

If you can create expression fields to build the "standard" tags, you could clone your library and copy those to their respective standard fields. Then submit the data from there. If you were to keep those expression fields in your main library, along with a [Date Submitted] field, you would have the basis for doing periodic updates without much difficulty. 8)

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »

Why not?  Please do.

How do I submit my tags YADB?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »

How do I submit my tags YADB?

Select a few tracks, right click, Library Tools, Submit Track Info to Online Database.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up