INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android remote - NO WLAN!  (Read 2067 times)

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Android remote - NO WLAN!
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:55:44 pm »

I want to make that part perfectly clear ... no WLAN!

Got a couple different opinions on whether this will work. I'd hoped to lock it down as a definite probable before investing in an Android. I've had a couple people who <seem> fairly knowledgeble on the subject who ... basically say directly the opposite.

I do NOT have a WLAN ... or wireless local area network ...

What I DO have is an ATT wireless router/modem (Novatel MiFi 2362) that allows five connections. That hooks to the local cell tower at 3G, and then to the internet via an ATT home page where I do all the setup and such. It DOES allow peer to peer, but they recommend against it as that part isn't implemented all that well and can confuse ... as in crash ... things.

So ... what I WANT ... and hopefully can get ... is to use an android tablet as a wireless remote for the HTPC. I wouldn't be streaming any media to it - all I want to use it for is remote control of MC. Any button press would have to go up the pipeline to the net and back down to the HTPC. No biggie if all we're talking is control codes. I've already got the HTPC hooked up and JRiver is talking to the net on that, so hopefully that's half the battle.

Now, I have heard tell that once both the HTPC and an androil are internet connected, you can send an "invite me" message from MC to the android, then simply reply and that's supposed to do all the configuration. Sounds wunnerful to a network dummy like me.

I'm also talking a fairly basic android - v2.3 OS, 4 gb storage, and a 7" screen. Perfect for the coffee table - assuming it has more purpose than as a coaster?

And just to clarify, I'd need Gizmo, not WebGizmo for this?

Anything definitive on this? And use small words please ... <G>

<EDIT> Forgot ... there's also some mention of having to enable the media server to the app tray on the HTPC for this to work? Probably worth mentioning, I'm using Windows XP (MCE).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Android remote - NO WLAN!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »

So I think this is what you will have:

PC > modem > 3G cell network

and

Android > modem > 3G network

I've used this type of setup, and on the modem side, you do have a wireless LAN.  Each PC on it can see the others.

But even if you didn't have a wireless LAN, the Android could connect to your PC by travelling through the cell network.  The modem would have to allow an inbound connection and you'd have to use network address translation to get the port connected to the right PC.  Our article on "Network Access" on the wiki explains that.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Re: Android remote - NO WLAN!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »

Jeez ... and I thought being a former rocket scientist would mean this would be easy.  ::)

My primary concern was whether my router/modem would be smart enough to allow both peer to peer between the android and HTPC AND internet access. According to ATT, that's where it gets complicated.

So ...

- Get an android.
- Install Gizmo.
- Hook the internet via the android.
- Turn on the server in MC.
- Check the ATT home page for the network addresses assigned each unit and configure those locally. I do know that the IP floats, but the GATE and DNS stay the same.
- And I will also need to tell my firewall to make an exception for the android. No biggie there.
- Run the access key test from the android and keep my fingers crossed.

Let ya know how it all turns out. 

Well ... that could have gone better ...  ;D

-
Pages: [1]   Go Up