INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Guide in Theater View - Feature Requests  (Read 2699 times)

csy

• Junior Woodchuck
TV Guide in Theater View - Feature Requests
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:20:31 pm »

Hi, it appears from what I've read the Guide in Theater View is a relatively new development and I'm impressed with the progress to date.  I would like to request some additional functionality to make the experience more friendly like what I was used to previously with WMC.

1) The Guide grid dynamically slide along to keep up-to-date with current time.  Currently if you go into the Guide then select a programme to watch live, then return to the Guide, it presents the same original static grid which is now out-of-date.

2) Record & Subscription indications within the programme slots so you can easily see if they are configured for record/subscription (WMC use one red light / series of red lights which is very effective)

3) A way to view and edit all the scheduled recordings / subscriptions within Guide

4) Ability to configure the recording & subscription default values (I'm most interested in start-before, stop-after, When)

5) The record button toggle through options of: Record - Subscription - Cancel  (so you can push record record button twice to subscribe to a programme, same as WMC)

6) Have the ability to pull-up the guide while watching LiveTV and TV continues uninterrupted in a small window within the guide, then return to TV uninterrupted (for example to allow setup recording of another programme seemlessly without interrupting viewing of current programme, same as WMC)

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV Guide in Theater View - Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:40:56 pm »

+ 1 for all of these, especially #s 1, 2 & 5.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:00:16 am »

And I would like to see the current time-of-day (clock) on the same page as the guide.

NickF

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »

A good set of requirements.  I strongly support these.  I am a long term user of Windows Media Center and its usability is very good.  We have some catching-up to do.   ;)

Not Guide specific but I wanted to stop a recording.  In WMC, as mentioned above, you just select the recording programme in the guide and hit record to toggle it but in the listing of Shows in MC17, again, there is no indication of what is currently recording unless you select the item and check the info panel.  There should be a marker against each item showing whether is is recording and, on selecting it, there should be an option to stop recording as well as Watch and Delete.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:27 am »

And I would like to see the current time-of-day (clock) on the same page as the guide.

Isn't this a skin thing ?

You could add this to the XML-File for the skin you are using:

<Item Text="[Time]" Location="***" TextColor="ffffff" Rect="72,00,96,05" Capitalization="0" Alignment="1" Alpha="50" Size="[Large Text Height]" />

Copy/paste this line, and replace the line, where you have the time, in the XML-File.
The time will then show on every page, in upper left corner.

Or You could use any of the two skin, Blue Puzzle or Rapier Fusion, there are download link in my signature.
These two skins have the clock on every page.

If you need further help, I'm here.

Thomas

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:26:53 am »

6) Have the ability to pull-up the guide while watching LiveTV and TV continues uninterrupted in a small window within the guide, then return to TV uninterrupted (for example to allow setup recording of another programme seemlessly without interrupting viewing of current programme, same as WMC)
This almost works I think from a while back.

If you select a program from the EPG and make it play, you can go back to the EPG with Ctrl-4 ( to select the TheaterView screen) and the live channel will continue to play in a small window on the bottom right.  However navigating away from the current program will make it disappear.

Making this a persistent window for the playing now might do it, rather than a changing window for the currently selected item.

SBR

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:25 am »

Isn't this a skin thing ?

You could add this to the XML-File for the skin you are using:

<Item Text="[Time]" Location="***" TextColor="ffffff" Rect="72,00,96,05" Capitalization="0" Alignment="1" Alpha="50" Size="[Large Text Height]" />

Copy/paste this line, and replace the line, where you have the time, in the XML-File.
The time will then show on every page, in upper left corner.

Thomas

Modifying tht skin to add the current time is not something the average MC user is going to be able to do. Why is it not built into the skin already? The TV guide is the one place in MC where you need to know the current time. Thanks for the tip.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:11:31 am »

A clock has been asked for in other views as well. If I remember correctly, even Matt thought it was a good idea but he was worried about the position of the clock, as there is another place with clock as well. Don't know exactly what clock he was referring to. Perhaps the OSD? At the time I did not think it was any worrying though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:29:14 am »

The TV guide is the one place in MC where you need to know the current time.

To me a clock is an absolute necessity in a time based guide.

The only place I'm aware of a clock now in Theater View is at the 'Start' page, or whatever it's called. I would like to see a clock on each of the main sub pages - the ones where you have the list of what to watch, or play. (What are the proper names for these pages anyway?).

We need these clocks because we use Theater view in a fairly darkened HT room. I haven't worn a watch in years and Sandra has a tiny one that she needs to turn a light on to see. Often the actual time will determine if we watch a half hour show, a one hour show or a movie. So an onscreen clock would be very helpful.

Thanks for considering this.

Rod

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »

I agree that a clock is a good idea, but I'd also like the see a vertical line down the grid or a marker at the top of the grid indicating the current time.

I also think the other requests are good too, many have been asked for before, so here's hoping they get implemented soon.

Richard

dunxed

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:12 pm »

Hi there,

This is my first post  :D

I'm really interested in the PVR functionality at the moment and it's a head to head on my PC between Windows Media Center and JRiver.  I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet. 

However, I really agree with the comments in the first post.  Additionally, something that I believe would be a "good to have" would be channel icons on the guide as well as the ability to change the number of lines shown in the Guide. 

It would give it a little bit of that "Wow" factor that always helps... ;D

Duncan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:39:51 pm »

I'm really interested in the PVR functionality at the moment and it's a head to head on my PC between Windows Media Center and JRiver.  I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet. 
That's quite an honor.  Thanks.  We're never done trying to make MC better, so thank you for your comments.  And welcome to the forum.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:42 am »

I agree that a clock is a good idea, but I'd also like the see a vertical line down the grid or a marker at the top of the grid indicating the current time.
+1

Really good idea.

SBR

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 09:13:10 am »

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 10:21:09 am »

+1 more...

dunxed

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:08:38 am »

Hi there,

There have been quite a few suggested improvements in the TV guide area in this post and a number of others and they all reflect similar themes.  I'm curious about whether or not there are any changes in the TV guide area that are being planned for a future version of JRiver, what they are and when they'll be available?

Is there anyone that could shed any light on this?

Thanks for replying when you do!

Duncan

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 03:51:03 am »

In case you guys missed this in the TV section, you can now set up multiple EPGs using channel keywords, so you can set up Favourites, Movies, Kids, Radio etc.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71255.msg483798#msg483798

SBR
Pages: [1]   Go Up