INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what happened to 4/5ths of my library?  (Read 1195 times)

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say... other than that MC rocks!
what happened to 4/5ths of my library?
« on: March 19, 2003, 02:15:59 pm »

I use MJ8.0.382 to manage a library of ~5000 MP3s. The problem is that I just started MJ up and it said I have only 1060.  All my files are still there, it just seems as though 4000 have been randomly removed from my library files. I'm in shock right now. All my playlists have shrunken proportionatly (and I had quite a bit of catagorizaiton in the playlists). I can't expect much from anybody, I have no clues or hints at what happened. Just, if anyone knows anything that might have caused this or any way of fixing it, I would be greatly, greatly, appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Josh

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: what happened to 4/5ths of my library?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 02:24:45 pm »

Please update to a current version.

Then do File/Update Library.

Then do a new import.

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 02:31:11 pm »

Many thanks for such a prompt reply,

That's what I'll probably do, but I was wondering if maybe, for example, the library was corrupted and, when fixed, would still have all my playlists, album cover associations, etc. I suppose that was pretty optimistic of me, however.

Just out of curiousity, what exactly is updating the library supposed to do in this situation? I'll do it anyway, if it is advised, but anything to contribute to my knowledge of Media Jukebox is always nice.

Thanks again,
Josh

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 02:35:18 pm »

I think the MC9 lib is more secure.

MJ 7 had problems and they fixed some in MJ8 but under some problems MJ8 could lose some info, but it does not happen often or to very many people.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 02:36:27 pm »

It will remove any debris in the library.  If you delete a file in Windows Explorer, MJ doesn't know that until you run the update.

I don't know what will happen now, but importing should fix it if the files are still there.

And, it's only music.  Think about all the other bad things that could have happened in your life.

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 03:05:21 pm »

Last words:

Very true (about putting everything in perspective). It's just that I had put a lot of effort into this collection and the problem was so sudden and unanticipated. Maybe there's a silver lining. The removal of all the convoluted hiarchy I had will let me redo everything efficiantly and in a much nicer way. I really should upgrade, anyway. Thanks for helping me cope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up