INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleted playlist problem  (Read 2581 times)

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
Deleted playlist problem
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:50:11 pm »

Hi
Would be grateful if anyone could help me with this one. Am just about finishing ripping my CD collection. I have been sending albums  when ripped to a 'My JRiver stuff" playlist.  However a couple of hours ago I mistakenly deleted this playlist instead of the  "Recently ripped" list. All the stuff is there in My documents. However on the JRiver "Playing Now" list the last 4 days of ripping isn't there.??

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Deleted playlist problem
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:09:08 am »

The playlist is just a list.  Your ripped tracks from the CDs should all still be present (unless you held down the Shift key while you deleted and confirmed that files should be deleted to the trash or permanently).

Is there something you're trying to accomplish with the list of ripped CDs?  This is easily enough created based upon date of rip, and in fact, a smartlist can do this for you.

Any more details?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:57 am »

No, I didn't delete as you mentioned. However the last 4 days of ripping don't appear on the "Playing Now" list for some reason. They are in my documents though. I am about ready to send it all to an external HD. Is there any quick way of getting it all back on JRiver without trying to compare whats in My Documents and whats on JRiver?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:44:51 am »

Somethin's telling me you're working harder than you need to, let's see if we can save you some work.

Playing Now is the special per zone playlist; it is the list of tracks you are currently playing (in a zone).

Playlists aren't how MC manages files - they are managed internally via a database.

Your tracks are ripped, and located under the folder listed in Tools > Options > File Locations > Audio, depending upon your folder and file rules listed there also.

For the future, you can setup MC to rip to the external HD directly - there's no reason to rip and then manually move.  If you're going to manually move, you'll want to do a little more reading:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

You can use MC's Rename, Move & Copy tool.

Now, to get that list of files, in case you're still needing this, try entering this in the Search dialog:

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Date Imported]=<4d

This says, select audio files imported in the last 4 days.  Change it to suit your needs; easiest using the Search Wizard.

There's also a CD database which you can list/search to see exactly which CDs were imported and when.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:16 am »

Thanks for your help. Looks like I need to get in and do some more reading on this part of the program lol. I just rushed in and started ripping.   Will read the search function details etc.
Started ripping CDs a month ago (with JRiver) and thought that JRiver would keep a list of all that I had ripped . However when I click on audio and open the library it has all the kids itunes stuff in there as well. Is there no list with just the stuff I have ripped to date with JRiver?  TIA

MrC

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:53:01 am »

Go to your Audio > Files view, and enter this in the Search box:

~d=c

You'll see that MC retains the list of CDs it has read.  The CD database and the Main database are distinct.  When MC reads a CD, it stores entries for the tracks in the CD database.  When you rip, it stores those tracks in the Main database.

You can include, exclude, sort, group, etc. to view the audio, video, images, etc. the way you want.  Don't worry now about seeing extra stuff.  MC has powerful rules for grouping and and creating views - so finding what you've ripped is easy.  You can search by date, or file type, or location, or whatever might uniquely identify the audio files.  MC knows what files it is managing - you just have to ask it what to view.

The default auto-import paths include standard locations for media files.  You can tailor those as you see fit.

Set your File Locations in Options and then try a rip.  You'll start to learn what's going on.

Be sure to check the Wiki for various items as a start:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Ask questions when something doesn't make sense.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:15:49 am »

Found what I have ripped via the ~d=c.  Will do some reading on all the other stuff. Cheers for your patience.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:58 pm »

I have read and read and its hurting my brain. This is an excellent player that is configurable in an infinite number of ways. I seemed to figure out getting my other dedicated laptop/DAC set up for bit perfect playback O.K. (following Chris's instructions).  Have played a few tracks and it sounds great. I am struggling with this part though.
As I mentioned above, my library is full of all the kids itunes stuff. All I want are the CDs I have ripped with JRiver this last month. I can see them in the CD database via the ~d=c command. Is it possible that you can give me a command line that will just put those ripped CDs in my library and nothing else. I have finished ripping and am ready to copy them over to a USB3 HD to supply the laptop up with the sound system. Sorry to be such a dimwit.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »

If the files were all ripped to the same directory branch (C:\music/ and below, for example), you can clear your library (under File/Library/Library Manager) and re-import.  Just import the branch where you ripped the files (C:\music, in the example).

MrC

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 06:01:10 pm »

If the files were all ripped to the same directory branch (C:\music/ and below, for example), you can clear your library (under File/Library/Library Manager) and re-import.  Just import the branch where you ripped the files (C:\music, in the example).

Does this clear the CD database too?  If so, this isn't what prufrock wants...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »

It would clear any record of the CD's themselves, but I understood that he had ripped the CD's, so those files must be on the hard disk and can be reimported.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

Understood.  Some of us use the CD database, but prufrock may not care about it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:44:10 pm »

I think prufrock has enough horsepower to find his way through the lilacs.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:13:59 am »

No, I don't want to clear the CD database. That definitely looks like it might come in handy one day.
O.K, I think I am getting the hang of it. Just created a smartlist that includes wav only. That by itself got rid of a lot of very nasty looking rubbish. However for some reason the kids have ripped a lot of stuff to itunes at 1411 as well. I must have fiddled with it at some stage and done that before they realised how little they were fitting onto their ipods.  If I could eliminate everything in the filename that had itunes in it I would be sitting pretty I reckon. This is what my filenames look like:

C:\Users\Home PC\Music\Amy Winehouse\Back to Black\   etc

and the unwanted:

C:\Users\Home PC\iTunes Library\Woeful Noise  etc
Some of it has ...\iTunesNew\Woeful Noise     etc

Any tips on how to do a ditch itunes command?  TIA

MrC

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 12:26:15 am »

Search using the Search box for :

[Filename (path)]="\iTunes"

You can use the Wizard to help build these search criteria.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 12:35:33 am »

O.K . Just did it. Fantastic. Thanks guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up