INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY iTunes Match via/using MC17?  (Read 2223 times)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
DIY iTunes Match via/using MC17?
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »

So, assume I have:

- More Windows PC's than you can shake a stick at
- An international private cloud colocated in major internet exchanges, based primarily around Windows Server 2008 R2. I have dedicated recent servers I could throw at this task if necessary, ideally though the software to make it happen would reside on one of my older servers (~2008-era dual-quad Xeons) which would then be replicated across datacentres for redundancy.
- A few iPads (though I can wait for WOA, not got a lot of time for Android TBH)
- A couple of Windows Phone 7's

Unfortunately I have a few issues with iTunes Match, which was my kinda-hopeful solution. First there's the iTunes thing. Second, there's the Apple-only thing. Then there's the iTunes device limit per account. Then there's the speed of uploading unmatched files, which is truly abysmal, and ludicrous - especially since I can simply walk into any of my colo's, stick a disc filled with my entire library onto one of the server I can allocate to the task and just copy it all onto a SAN in minutes. And of course, there's the 256K AAC thing (actually it's not a big deal especially as it'll be used while on the move, but lacking the option for higher is a potential issue).

I'm wondering if there's an option, or whether I throw the towel in, take the compromises and drastically shift my stuff around so that I can lie back in the warm zombifying embrace of Appledom.

I would really like to be able to access my music anywhere from all my devices, have the ability to stream it in either 'web friendly' or download it piecemeal in original Lossless / high-res form. I would like the front end to be either 'full' MC, or at least something along the lines of iTunes - i.e. not a particularly 'dumbed down' interface in the manner of e.g. Spotify. I'd like to make changes to the library on any machine, which then gets propagated to any other accessing machine. Buying additional software not a huge issue, but custom development is something I'd like to avoid - I still have nightmares over the half-functional middleware transcoder I commissioned.

I do have also more than a few Macs, and while they're not important in the long term it would also be nice if I could have the same options as the above without resorting to Boot Camp, which I think is only for masochists (or the committed Apple-worshipper, which I'm not).

Is it even anywhere near possible? If so, where would you start?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DIY iTunes Match via/using MC17?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:41:39 am »

Yeah... as much as I'd like Webgizmo to have the sophistication I'm looking for in an iTunes Match equivalent / replacement, it's way, way, way off that.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:16 am »

What about IP Sec or some other type of VPN? It sounds like you're the right guy to implement it. It would at least solve some of your problems if the connection is fast enough.

I do agree with you on several points however:
- The limitations of media manipulation on clients is not great
- Gizmo is lacking when comparing with alternatives (remotes and streaming services). Both functionality, stability, customization and looks.
- I do not have much experience with web gizmo, but I suspect there is a bit work to be done here as well before there's a smashing default.

There are continuous improvements though. So it's far from a dark future here, but I really hope that stuff like this gets some more attention. Big media networks and entertainment centers in new and old households are growing, and it will be an increasing demand.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:10 am »

Yeah... as much as I'd like Webgizmo to have the sophistication I'm looking for in an iTunes Match equivalent / replacement, it's way, way, way off that.
WebGizmo will let you play your media from home wherever you are in any browser that supports HTML5.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:19:13 pm »

WebGizmo will let you play your media from home wherever you are in any browser that supports HTML5.

It's not an answer. I am not looking for a simplistic playback front end. I could just crank up Spotify player for that as I said, and it's not what I'm after. What I'm looking for is more of a client-server / peer-to-peer MC, if the first post doesn't make it clear.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:22:36 pm »

What about IP Sec or some other type of VPN? It sounds like you're the right guy to implement it. It would at least solve some of your problems if the connection is fast enough.

I do agree with you on several points however:
- The limitations of media manipulation on clients is not great
- Gizmo is lacking when comparing with alternatives (remotes and streaming services). Both functionality, stability, customization and looks.
- I do not have much experience with web gizmo, but I suspect there is a bit work to be done here as well before there's a smashing default.

There are continuous improvements though. So it's far from a dark future here, but I really hope that stuff like this gets some more attention. Big media networks and entertainment centers in new and old households are growing, and it will be an increasing demand.

It has to happen over commonly used ports without any of that stuff. Not even SSL VPN - not interested in managing that aspect for multiple devices.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:28:21 pm »

What I'm looking for is more of a client-server / peer-to-peer MC, if the first post doesn't make it clear.

We call that Library Server:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 05:18:16 pm »

It has to happen over commonly used ports without any of that stuff. Not even SSL VPN - not interested in managing that aspect for multiple devices.

Sorry, I did not mean IP Sec.

I were thinking of Direct Access. It uses a couple of ports. No, it's not only port 443, but it should in most cases work well. You're network with the server would be the only place you really need to fix port forwarding for your router, and perhaps add the two ports on a firewall. Other places usually allow such ports to communicate from the network and out. So, unless you're inn a really locked down environment, this should work well. And the setup for each client is really a one time set-up-and-forget kind of thing that takes a few minutes for each device. Each time you have Internet access, you should also access your home network. No more clients and double clicks and password/usernames to connect.

Library server and library clients is the closest you will come to what you want. To ask for a totally new and similarly controlled client is asking a bit to much I'm afraid. I totally agree that there is features to add and things to fix, but a new client is hardly the answer right now.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:28 pm »

We call that Library Server:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server

Hmmm. I was under the impression this was a batch syncing thing but I'll have to play with it...

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 04:52:11 am »

Library server and client will work for most playback needs and meta data editing. I've not experienced with conversion of media over WAN though. Things that you can not do (yet), is to import new stuff, edit views and edit file names etc, and add/change some if not all of the artwork on the client. This changes will not be synced back. That is the major problems imo. You do not have a multi user database either, but in your case, that does not seem like the biggest problem?

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:38:33 am »

Library server and client will work for most playback needs and meta data editing. I've not experienced with conversion of media over WAN though. Things that you can not do (yet), is to import new stuff, edit views and edit file names etc, and add/change some if not all of the artwork on the client. This changes will not be synced back. That is the major problems imo. You do not have a multi user database either, but in your case, that does not seem like the biggest problem?

Oh. Really? That doesn't work for me either. Still, will play with Library sync and see how far I get.

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:26:30 am »

I don't like the single user database approach my self, but I'll be moving to my new house soon, and have only my self to worry about. So, I'll manage for a while longer :)
When and if I get a family however, a multi user database would be almost a must have. I would go nuts if I had to share Played counters and such with other users...

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 10:36:01 am »

OK, early days yet but it might work.

Can anyone tell me how to temporarily download tracks which I can't stream (e.g. if I'm on a plane)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up