INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album View or MJ feature request:relative path to images  (Read 1091 times)

Tolga

Album View or MJ feature request:relative path to images
« on: May 06, 2002, 02:14:35 pm »

Album view is a must have add-on!

Currently, although it does not adress to my organizations needs, a small addition, could easily make it to do so.

I store jpgs with a standard name, "cover.jpg" in the directory of each album. Since MJ does not allow to link songs to jpgs with relative address (or does it now?), I change the TRACKINFO templates such that I replace each: "TRACKINFO_INSERT_IMAGE"
with "TRACKINFO_INSERT_TRACKPATH/cover.jpg" (Thanks to MJ for implementing TRACKINFO_INSERT_TRACKPATH on my request so fast!).

Using this method, I don't need to link the songs to covers manually. I can have the covers on CDs together with songs and view them from different cd drivers or in a different computer etc.

Unfortunately, this trick does not work with Album View. This problem can be easily solved, if either
1) MJ adds the feature of interpretting the image locations relative to the song files (and inserting them as relative paths, whenever possible, or whenever an option is selected)[like in lots of html editors]
or
2) Album View adds and advanced feature( or maybe a registery key)
to get the image location from a different source such as TRACKINFO_INSERT_TRACKPATH/cover.jpg rather than the default location
TRACKINFO_INSERT_IMAGE.

1 seems the cleanest to me while 2 should be easy?

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
RE:Album View or MJ feature request:relative path to images
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 10:42:59 pm »

Tolga,

AV already can handle this.

In options/artwork rules add the rule:

Directory: <Next Pageath to root of music>\!artist!\!album!
Filename: cover.jpg

For example I hold all my music in "D:\My Music" so the rule would be:

Directory: D:\My Music\!artist!\!album!
Filename: cover.jpg

Tolga

REQ: Small Addition to Album View
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 07:14:36 pm »

Thanks Rhino,

This looks close, but still is not exactly what I need. I see two disadvantange of this solution:

1) if you are running files from a cd, you have to assume that you will use the same driver. (you can also forget about different computers, if they don't use the same driver name for CD)

2) you have to assume that the tag structure (artist-album) and the directory structure is exactly the same. Sometimes this is very restricting. For example when the directory structure on a CD does not allow the whole path because it is too long, or artist-album names contain characters that cannot be used in a path.

Actually, all I need is that James Dickson adds the token: !trackpath! (similar to
TRACKINFO_INSERT_TRACKPATH in TrackInfo SDK) to the supported tokens list in Artwork Rules) so that !trackpath!/cover.jpg can be used to refer to cover.jpg in the same directory with the song.

Another interesting side effect might be the following:

If the directory structure on the CD is DRIVER:/Artist/Album:
!trackpath!/../cover.jpg could be used as a secondary rule, which retrives a default artist picture, if album cover cannot be find. (Assuming of course AV can deal with paths that contain '..').

Best,
Tolga

Tolga

REQ: Small Addition to Album View
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2002, 07:18:13 pm »

Thanks Rhino,

This looks close, but still is not exactly what I need. I see two disadvantange of this solution:

1) if you are running files from a cd, you have to assume that you will use the same driver. (you can also forget about different computers, if they don't use the same driver name for CD)

2) you have to assume that the tag structure (artist-album) and the directory structure is exactly the same. Sometimes this is very restricting. For example when the directory structure on a CD does not allow the whole path because it is too long, or artist-album names contain characters that cannot be used in a path.

Actually, all I need is that James Dickson adds the token: !trackpath! (similar to
TRACKINFO_INSERT_TRACKPATH in TrackInfo SDK) to the supported tokens list in Artwork Rules) so that !trackpath!/cover.jpg can be used to refer to cover.jpg in the same directory with the song.

Another interesting use might be the following:

If the directory structure on the CD is DRIVER:/Artist/Album:
!trackpath!/../cover.jpg could be used as a secondary rule, which retrives a default artist picture, if album cover cannot be find. (Assuming of course AV can deal with paths that contain '..').
(even !trackpath!/../../cover.jpg could be used to retrieve the cover of collection, etc.)

James,
Are you following this thread? What do you think?

Best,
Tolga

Tolga

Excuse my ignorance
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2002, 07:40:05 pm »

Rhino,

Excuse my ignorance, I had not noticed that you were the author of AV.

Also, I have noticed that the above discussion were related to another discussion you have with Nila in another thread. I guess, the above should solve his problem as well.
(All assuming that getting !trackpath! is not difficult). As a simplification, you could use the the trackpath of the first song in the album.

Tolga

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2002, 10:12:35 pm »

I'll add it to the next release.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2002, 11:08:31 pm »

Tolga,

I have added !albumpath! as a token to artwork rules.   This resolves to the path of the first track of an album.   Also the filename part now supports wildcards so you can now say:

Directory: !albumpath!
Filename: *front*.jpg

And it will use the first file found.

Look for it in 0.3.5b which should be out either today or tomorrow depending if I can get intelligent duplicate album detection in quickly.

nila

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2002, 02:58:40 am »

We love you Rhino, we love you yeah Next Page
This is gonna solve all my cover problems!!

Tolga

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2002, 07:38:10 pm »

Rhino,
you rooooooock !
Pages: [1]   Go Up