INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to setup a NAS  (Read 2572 times)

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
How to setup a NAS
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:19 am »

I bought a Sinology NAS to store all my musics and listen to them on my computers in a home network.
The first thing I did was to transfer all my music files from one of my computers to the NAS. It took time, but they were transferred without problems.
I kept all my files on my desktop and on an external hard disk and deleted all the files in the PC, in order to test the assess to the NAS without problems. I have MC on the Laptop and on the PC.
The NAS was recognized in my network in both computers.
Then, I tried to see the albums on the PC. They appeared, when I opened the NAS and saw them, but on a row, without the functionalities of MC.
After several trials, I decided to create another library on the NAS, configured the Import on MC pointed to the new library, and, after pressing Import, all the albums showed up, most of them with the covers and I could play the music.
Why do I need help?

First, because it was a process that I followed, but I don't know if I can replicate, when I will also transfer the files from my Laptop. Do I need to create another library, or the one I have created will be used no matter what computer I use?

Second: Doesn't exist another method less rudimentary and more effective?

Third: Some 60 covers are still missing and I don't know why and where to get them. I tried to go to the Net, found the covers, followed the usual method, but they don't glue.

Thanks a lot for the support you may give me.

Best wishes

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to setup a NAS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:26:35 am »

There is a simple one.
Store your audio files on a NAS.
This allows all PCs in the home network to play them.
Don’t forget to backup!

What I do is very simple.
Each PC running MC has its own library on the local HD.
In Import I point to the NAS

A more advanced option is to enable the media network (Tools > Options>)
This allows clients to sync their libraries

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:20:31 am »

Thanks a lot. I am in the process to configure my router, with the fantastic support of Scolex. We already advanced a lot, but there are some problems on the configuration to assess it from outside of my network. They are router related and Scolex is thinking on a way of solving them.
Best regards.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:09 am »

All my files are stored on a my NAS as well, I have multiple isntances of JRiver running on my laptops and on my HTPC.  I simply use my main laptop to configure JRiver and then do a library backup to a specific directory on the NAS once I have it setup as I like then I restore that backup to the HTPC and the other laptops.  That way only one instance of JRiver ever edits tags or moves files.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:27:44 am »

Thank you very much to all that are helping.
The special Scolex' support, besides a better understanding of MC capabilities, is to config the router to assess it using MC when I am outside (not using my home network). This doesn't' mean that I will not appreciate your support. By the contrary; the more I learn, the better is to have other opinions.
So, I welcome everybody witch may want to share their knowledge and experiencies. The only thing I ask you, is to explain on an easy way, since I am not experienced on computers.
Best regards and indulge me for my bad English.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:14:49 pm »

I bought a Sinology NAS to store all my musics and listen to them on my computers in a home network.
The first thing I did was to transfer all my music files from one of my computers to the NAS. It took time, but they were transferred without problems.
I kept all my files on my desktop and on an external hard disk and deleted all the files in the PC, in order to test the assess to the NAS without problems. I have MC on the Laptop and on the PC.
The NAS was recognized in my network in both computers.
Then, I tried to see the albums on the PC. They appeared, when I opened the NAS and saw them, but on a row, without the functionalities of MC.
After several trials, I decided to create another library on the NAS, configured the Import on MC pointed to the new library, and, after pressing Import, all the albums showed up, most of them with the covers and I could play the music.
Why do I need help?

First, because it was a process that I followed, but I don't know if I can replicate, when I will also transfer the files from my Laptop. Do I need to create another library, or the one I have created will be used no matter what computer I use?

Second: Doesn't exist another method less rudimentary and more effective?

Third: Some 60 covers are still missing and I don't know why and where to get them. I tried to go to the Net, found the covers, followed the usual method, but they don't glue.

> I kept all my files on my desktop and on an external hard disk and deleted all the files in the PC,
> in order to test the assess to the NAS without problems.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean.  I hope that you did not entirely remove the music files from your PC.

It is a good idea to understand the entire process before you start making changes.

Before you make any drastic changes, read the material in the JRiver Wiki about moving music files.

You will have fewer problems if you temporarily leave the JRiver database and other files where they are now.  Copy the music files themselves to a folder structure on the NAS that mirrors the structure you have now on your PC's hard drive.  Here are two ways to move the files so that the library information is preserved:

1. You can copy the files in MC with the "rename, "move & copy files" command.  (To use this command open a set of files, select those files and right-click with the mouse over one of those files.  Choose the "Rename..." command from the menu that appears.

2. You could copy the files outside MC. (For example, using Windows Explorer.) Then you would use the same "rename, "move & copy files" to tell MC that you have changed the location of the files.  This method is more complicated and trickier but the process of moving the files may be faster.

This preserves all the information in your current library database.  You should have fewer problems about missing covers.

Using music files from more than one PC is inherently more complicated than using them from a single PC.  There are a number of ways to configure MC.  You need to understand your requirements before you choose a way of using MC for networked operation.  You have the NAS so you should first get MC working as it did before.  We can discuss using music files form more than one PC with MC after you get MC working with your files on the NAS.

Bill

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:11:39 pm »

Thank you very much bill. I will never forget how useful were all the support you gave me sometime ago. I have learned a lot and decided to understand better MC; Sometimes is quite difficult, especially because I don't know how to find the information. For instance, I still don't know how and were to find JRiver Wiki to read what it is there. It seems stupid, but it is the kind of difficulties I find.
Now, let me clarify what I have done: I have (had) all my files, the same ones on my Laptop and on my PC. The same, as a backup, on an external hard drive. I keep updating the PC and the hard drive every time I rip more musics or find more covers or just tag some albums, to reflect the types of music I have.
It was quite obvious that this was an immense work and I would run out of disk space sooner than later.
When I bought and installed the NAS, a Sinology with two discs of 2TM each working in mirror mode, I was afraid of making mistakes and loose my library.
Then, I transferred all the files from my Laptop, the one where I rip and make modifications, using the old method of copping and pasting. To do that, I created a folder on The NAS and, from my Laptop, were I had that folder, I pasted all the files I had in "my music". I didn't use MC, because I didn't do how to do it that way.
Before, I deleted all the files I had on the PC, in order to do the tests from it.
I cosed the Laptop and started using the PC to asses the NAS files.
The NAS appeared on my home network on the PC and on the MC installed there. When I tried to see the files, I started looking to the NAS, and the files were there, but just a list.
I couldn't use MC functionalities, like displaying the albums with the covers.
After thinking for a wile, I decided to create a library on the NAS from MC.
Once it was created and named, I configured auto-import the way I could and, when I finished the process, the files started to come and go to the right places, with most of the covers. In about 800 albums, I couldn't find about 70.
After being proud of myself for a moment, I searched for the missing files on the Net and "glued" them on their spaces.
Now I understand that I may have a simpler way to do so, using MC. I don't want yet to transfer or erase the files I have on the Laptop, because I fear to loose the ones that are well organized.
If you let me know what to do, on your "step by step" basis, I may delete the files that are on the NAS, and use the best method to transfer the ones I have in the Laptop, having in mind that I have two extra backups on external drives.
To assess the data on the NAS, should I create a Library? and how?
Please indulge me to write like a river, without any method. It is difficult to switch to English and once done, I have to go fast, or I will start thinking in Portuguese or even in French.

In two hoers time, I can call for free to the US if it is not to a cellphone. If you think that this could help - for me it will be excellent, Please give me your phone number and I will call you.
Warm regards,
Joao

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »

Thank you very much bill. I will never forget how useful were all the support you gave me sometime ago. I have learned a lot and decided to understand better MC; Sometimes is quite difficult, especially because I don't know how to find the information. For instance, I still don't know how and where to find JRiver Wiki to read what it is there. It seems stupid, but it is the kind of difficulties I find.
On our Support page, there is a link to the wiki. 

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »

There's also a link at the bottom of this page - find on the page "Wiki".
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:15:33 pm »

Thank you very much bill. I will never forget how useful were all the support you gave me sometime ago. I have learned a lot and decided to understand better MC; Sometimes is quite difficult, especially because I don't know how to find the information.

I am glad to hear that you have made progress.

In two hoers time, I can call for free to the US if it is not to a cellphone. If you think that this could help - for me it will be excellent, Please give me your phone number and I will call you.

I received your private message but I have not been able to reply until now.  I do not feel that aphone conversation would allow me to express my comments sufficiently to be effective.

For instance, I still don't know how and were to find JRiver Wiki to read what it is there. It seems stupid, but it is the kind of difficulties I find.

You need to develop skills for learning about JRiver MC and answering your own questions.  It is better to read and ask questions before you do anything drastic.

----

I want to ask you some questions before suggesting any action for you to follow.  Please answer each question simply and directly  in one or two sentences preceded by A1, A2, ...

Q1. Are all the music files you had on the PC present on the NAS?

Q2. When you were using MC to play music files stored on the PC, did all the files have cover art?

Q3.  Where was MC placing cover art files on the PC? The following 3 images show you the settings for storing cover art. 

Click on "Tools" on the main menu and then on "Options".
http://naturelover.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-29DMnKg/0/L/cover-art-location0-L.jpg

Click on "File location".  Then scroll down until you see "cover art".  Under cover art, click on the arrow head to the left of "Audio mode".  If you don't see a list of settings under "cover art", click on the arrow head to the left of cover art.

The following image shows the choices for where MC stores cover art.
http://naturelover.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-NphvVHM/0/L/cover-art-location1-L.jpg

The first choice lets you specify where MC stores cover art images that it retrieves from its online database of cover art.  If that choice is checked, that the option I pointed out as 5 gives the file location(which you can change.)

The second option "In the same folder as the file (folder.jpg)" tells MC to place the cover art
http://naturelover.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-Vm5PWhR/0/L/cover-art-location2-L.jpg

I am not familiar with the third option.

You can also tell MC to store cover art in the file itself. Number 6 points to this option.

I want you to tell me the settings for these options (4,5 and 6.)

Q4. Please look at a setting in the auto import configuration dialog.  Follow the steps illustrated in these images:

http://naturelover.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-3rhNR6g/0/L/importing-and-cover-art0-L.jpg

http://naturelover.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-Cm4q7fH/0/L/importing-and-cover-art1-L.jpg

http://naturelover.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-SDmcwLD/0/L/importing-and-cover-art2-L.jpg

Is the "Get cover art" option checked?

Once you provide answers to these questions, we will be better able to offer advice.

> Before, I deleted all the files I had on the PC, in order to do the tests from it.

I did not understand why you needed to delete the music files from your PC.

> When I tried to see the files, I started looking to the NAS, and the files were there, but just a list.

Q5. What do you mean?  How were you "looking"?  In Windows Explorer?  In MC?  If in MC, what view were you using?

>  I couldn't use MC functionalities, like displaying the albums with the covers.

Q6. Were the artist and album tags visible in MC?

> After thinking for a wile, I decided to create a library on the NAS from MC.

Q7. Did the previous two sentences refer to the situation before you imported music files located on the NAS into MC?

> Once it was created and named, I configured auto-import the way I could and, when I finished the process,
> the files started to come and go to the right places, with most of the covers.
> In about 800 albums, I couldn't find about 70.

Q8. What was different about the 70 albums from the other files? Did you import them rather than rip them originally?

Q9. Did those 70 albums have cover art when the files were located on the PC?

> If you let me know what to do, on your "step by step" basis,
> I may delete the files that are on the NAS, and use the best method to transfer the ones
> I have in the Laptop, having in mind that I have two extra backups on external drives.

Don't do anything drastic yet.  Answer the questions I have asked.

> To assess the data on the NAS, should I create a Library? and how?

It appears that you have already created a library on the NAS.  Just leave it for now.  Don't delete anything yet.

> Please indulge me to write like a river, without any method.

It is difficult for me to fully understand the situation on your system based on the "river" of words in your replies.  It was a problem in the previous thread and it continues to be a problem.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:39:30 pm »

I think we will organize a two week holiday in Portugal.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 03:01:25 am »

Hi Bill:

Thank you very much for your answer. Please give me some time (days?) to study and answer all your questions.

Best regards,

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:54 am »

Hello Jim:

This is great news.
Please let me know in advance. My wife and I we will be delighted to receive and to tour you.
Best regards

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 04:08:55 am »

All my files are stored on a my NAS as well, I have multiple isntances of JRiver running on my laptops and on my HTPC.  I simply use my main laptop to configure JRiver and then do a library backup to a specific directory on the NAS once I have it setup as I like then I restore that backup to the HTPC and the other laptops.  That way only one instance of JRiver ever edits tags or moves files.
Why do people do this? Why not use library server instead?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 07:11:53 am »

Why do people do this? Why not use library server instead?

I guess it comes from coding, I like to have a working copy to test and then once I have tested it I can send it to the production environment, ie my htpc.  I would not feel comfortable editing the library on the library server even with backups it just feels wrong to me.

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:15:00 am »

What can I say?
Just listening and learning.
Thanks a lot.

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:09 am »

I guess it comes from coding, I like to have a working copy to test and then once I have tested it I can send it to the production environment, ie my htpc.  I would not feel comfortable editing the library on the library server even with backups it just feels wrong to me.

You can do practically the same with a server/client setup.

If you deactivate the automatic syncing, you can tag and test things on one client, and when you are happy with the changes you can manually update the server with a sync. You can then do the same manual sync triggering on other clients to get the new data. At least this is how I think it work. I have however never done anything but auto sync.

The upside would be the speed of the changes is passed on to the other clients, and that you don't have to rebuild thumbnails each time. The downside of this is that you can't really do file level changes or cover art changes in the client and expect it to sync to the server. It will be easier to spread the changes though. It both got it's pro/cons I guess. I just know that I would not handle a
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up