INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasapi Event Style just wigged out on me  (Read 1520 times)

tom gibbs

Wasapi Event Style just wigged out on me
« on: April 14, 2012, 08:42:17 am »

Just downloaded latest version of MC 17 using WASAPI Event Style --sound suddenly frizzed out and has remained so ever since. Switch to ASIO, everything is fine, switch to another music player, everything OK. I've restarted, reset just about every setting, updated from 17 to 17.0.125 -- nothing seems to restore the sound. Any ideas?

Tom

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wasapi Event Style just wigged out on me
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:18:24 am »

Try adjusting the buffer size in audio settings.  Smaller may  be better.

tom gibbs

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »

Hi, Jim,

I did reset the Hardware buffer and that did seem to help somewhat, but this is very puzzling to me. Let me explain how I got to this point.

Here's a brief overview of my current setup. I'm running an HP s5703w, 2.8 GHz dual-core processor, 8 gigs of ram, 500 Gig HD with a Seagate 1TB external HD, running Windows 7, 64-bit, feeding a High Resolution Technologies Music Streamer II+ USB asynchronous DAC.

Upon starting MC this morning, I made the following settings:

* Audio Output: WASAPI Event Style; Device: Music Streamer II+, Open device for exclusive access; Hardware Buffer: 100 milliseconds
* Output Format: Sample Rate: No change; Bit Depth: Source; Number of Channels: Source    * Prebuffering: 6 seconds   
* Play Silence at startup: 1 second    *Play Files From Memory    * Switch Tracks: Gapped Fade 1 second    * Gapless for Sequential Tracks
* Stop, Seek & Skip: Gapless/Immediate/Forward 30 - Backwards 10    * Alternate Mode: Switch Tracks: Gapped .1s; Stop: Fadeout Slow; Seek: Standard

I basically went with all the recommended and system specific settings -- and I really wanted WASAPI Event Style, especially after hearing all the hype online. Nothing but stuttering and glitches on 16 and 24-bit files. At this point, I started trying different Hardware Buffer settings, and nothing seemed to work until I set it to "Minimum Hardware Size" -- and, suddenly, GLORIOUS MUSIC -- for about ten minutes.

At that point, the music changed instantaneously to blaring NOISE -- I tried resetting the Hardware Buffer to 100, then 250, then 500 -- no change, just noise. Concerned that perhaps my DAC had wigged, I restarted the System -- nothing, just really loud NOISE. I switched to Foobar -- Music! I switched back to MC -- NOISE. I then switched from WASAPI to ASIO - fixed everything, but that's not what this is all about -- I want WASAPI Event Style, which I HAD for about ten minutes. Switch back to WASAPI -- NOISE. This is the point where I threw in the towel and asked for help earlier today.

I currently have the Hardware Buffer set to 25 milliseconds, and that seems to have essentially fixed the problem, with a few stray ticks and stutters. I'm just wondering if perhaps I've overlooked something -- it's really puzzling to me that everything worked so swimmingly with the hardware buffer set to "Minimum Hardware Size", if only for ten minutes or so -- how could it go from so very good to so very bad, so quickly?

I'll chime back in after I've done some more listening tomorrow.

Tom

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:03:40 am »

Try output of 24 bits.

From this topic:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

DSP Studio > Output Format

You will also need to choose the output format using DSP Studio. These settings are recommended:

Bitdepth: 24-bit (most DACS prefer and even require 24-bit input)

Channels: Source number of channels

Sample rate: Depends (with an outboard DAC, try "Source sample rate")
Pages: [1]   Go Up