INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing files? Look in your windows system folder  (Read 1300 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Missing files? Look in your windows system folder
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:44 pm »

I noticed about 25 albums were sitting in my windows system folder today.
They got there on Dec 31 2011.
I restored my libraries from the Dec 31 and then Jan 1 and noticed that I had done some renames/moves at that time, including some conversions to ape.
So just a heads up: if you find that you are missing some files that you KNOW you had, check that folder.

I'm running win7 64 bit Home edition if that makes a difference.

For most of those albums, at least 1 file was moved/renamed properly, but all the other files went to the system folder.

Edit - I should note that all the files that were there included a ( in the the name, either because the album artist was set to (Multiple Artists) or because the album name was (500) Days of Summer.  I hadn't noticed that before.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Missing files? Look in your windows system folder
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:56 pm »

There is another thread where the user had performed a Find/Replace on the Folder field and instead of entering "D:\...", the relative path "D\..." was entered.  Since the path is relative, the files were moved to "D\..." starting at the process' current working directory at the time, and that ended up being in some unexpected place.

Perhaps this is what happened in your case too (used a relative Folder path instead of absolute)?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:42:43 pm »

I think we should add a check to Rename, Move, & Copy Files to make no changes if the output filename isn't fully rooted.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:46 pm »

Agreed.

Also, for safety, perhaps MC and its friends can set the working directory to a known safe area?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »

Next build:
Changed: The 'Rename, Move, & Copy Files' dialog will show <invalid change> and do nothing if some rule attempts to output a path that isn't rooted.

As for setting the working path, I think it would start with the program directory, but sometimes unexpected things can change it.  We try to never use or reference the working path in our code.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:53:56 pm »

I suppose that's possible.

I would still like a drop-down in the base path for saved paths.
I only use \\Lizzy\Media (M)\ and C:\Users\Lise\Documents but going between them is a real pain.
I thought that there was supposed to be a way to save in an upcoming version, mentioned a few versions ago.
I know there is that overly complicated way of creating calculated expressions and then using those with a combination of some other expression that removes the "\" or something, and I tried setting that up. Took me about 2 hours to figure it out and couldn't get it to work so I have up.

A simple little arrow to select previous paths would be ideal.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:59:09 pm »

I suppose that's possible.

I would still like a drop-down in the base path for saved paths.
I only use \\Lizzy\Media (M)\ and C:\Users\Lise\Documents but going between them is a real pain.
I thought that there was supposed to be a way to save in an upcoming version, mentioned a few versions ago.
I know there is that overly complicated way of creating calculated expressions and then using those with a combination of some other expression that removes the "\" or something, and I tried setting that up. Took me about 2 hours to figure it out and couldn't get it to work so I have up.

A simple little arrow to select previous paths would be ideal.

Click the 'Preset...' button at the bottom of the dialog.

You can save and load presets.  You can also import and export them.  It's pretty flexible.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:33 pm »

Thanks Matt.  I didn't know you could create and save new ones using that box. This is perfect. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 01:11:45 pm »

Somebody should really write a manual on this stuff.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:22:35 pm »

Somebody should really write a manual on this stuff.

;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up