INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What I would really like is Linux support  (Read 7342 times)

rinring

• Recent member
What I would really like is Linux support
« on: April 20, 2012, 10:36:00 pm »

Media Center is good software.
What I would really like is Linux support.
I haven't found in the Linux world a better app.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 03:51:30 am »

Media Center is good software.
What I would really like is Linux support.
I haven't found in the Linux world a better app.
Well, that is much to ask... Windows and Linux are so different constructions and they donīt even have the same codecs....
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Screwbottle

• Recent member
  • No Drugs here. I get high on life
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:38:43 am »

Well, that is much to ask... Windows and Linux are so different constructions and they donīt even have the same codecs....

Hi Mr Maki

Actually your statement is not true. Linux can use all available codecs. If one uses Linux vanilla which is free of proprietory code, then the proprietory codec pack available is not installed, although the basic free codecs are available for use. There is even the CSS codec to allow Linux to view encoded DVD, and legal after world courts granted that this is to be allowed.

But it is very easy using the various package managers such as apt-get, Aptitude, Synaptic etc to obtain the W32 codec pack and many others, for full functionality with any and all media formats available. The top current Linux media players Amarok, Banshee, Clementine and Rhythmbox all use these add-on codecs (and they are in the process of being ported to Apple and Windows platforms). And one can install others such as Mplayer, SMPlayer, VideoLAN VLC (a well known windows media player) and so forth.

So it would only mean to port over the actual JRiver MediaCenter, and I don't know the code of MC, but I am sure it would not be that difficult, the codecs are there for use.

Regards

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:17:08 am »

I did mean madVR+LAV combo, which is Red October HQ... They do not have linux-support and never do... So, when using MC on linux, you can have only Red October Standard quality. For me, that is not acceptable, but if you are only listening music, then it would work quite well (I donīt know how linux handles audio-outputs, it is long time since I tried one...).
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 06:30:11 pm »

Not to mention that the Linux multimedia API is completely different from the Windows one. Indeed, while the codecs are the same, the interfaces exposed to programmers is completely different.

Adding to that, Linux has not one, but at least TWO APIs, depending on which desktop environment you're using. It'll be painful to maintain such a core feature across two platforms with three different code bases.

I'm not sure what J River's stance is on this, and I've not tried, but you may be able to run it using Wine since they have some DirectX emulation layers. You won't get bit-perfect audio like you can on Windows, but at least you get the library management stuff.

Jim/Matt/mods: if the suggestion's inappropriate, feel free to remove it, just let me know.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What I would really like is Linux support
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:24:30 am »

I would like to see MC Server ported to Linux. Right now, my HTPC is acting as the server, so needs to be on if I want to stream to a client or to Gizmo. Oh to be able to have my Ubuntu server act as my JRiver server :-)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:09 am »

Your only viable option I think at the moment is virtualization. There's quite a few good ones out there that are free.

I used to run MC in Vmware Fusion on my mac, worked like a charm.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:16:41 am »

I run a Windows VM on my Linux box which hosts the MC17 Server. At least for the server port, its working just perfectly. This is with VirtualBox.
I wouldn't know how the desktop experience would be with running MC17 itself and watching movies/listening to audio, and not just the server.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:22:11 am »

I run a Windows VM on my Linux box which hosts the MC17 Server. At least for the server port, its working just perfectly. This is with VirtualBox.
I wouldn't know how the desktop experience would be with running MC17 itself and watching movies/listening to audio, and not just the server.

On my "old" mac pro, quad core xeon 2,33Ghz, 16GB and 7600GT nvidia I had no issues under Vmware Fusion. Everything ran perfectly fine including video. Not an average machine though even for todays standards.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 03:45:12 pm »

I would like to see MC Server ported to Linux. Right now, my HTPC is acting as the server, so needs to be on if I want to stream to a client or to Gizmo. Oh to be able to have my Ubuntu server act as my JRiver server :-)

+1, but for unraid.

apgood

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: What I would really like is Linux support
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 03:57:18 pm »

+1, but for unraid.
And another +1 for unraid.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Re: What I would really like is Linux support
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:59:56 am »

And another +1 for unraid.
And yet another +1 for unraid.

221bBS

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:11:15 am »

+1 for unraid  ;D

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:13 am »

-1 for all other OS support. I'm pretty convinced It would divide the development resources and give us a worse product with time. At least at this very moment. As time goes on and JRiver focuses on cross platform support for their new features, I'm sure it can be done quite effectively in the future though.

Even with development progress only doing down about 10-20% because of such a thing, I would be very very negative my self. And I know there are other hardcore JRiver fans just like me. Even though OSx have gotten more support, MS is still the ruler of the OS used at home.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »

MC and unraid together is a beautiful thing.  :'(

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 01:32:12 pm »

-1 for all other OS support. I'm pretty convinced It would divide the development resources and give us a worse product with time. At least at this very moment. As time goes on and JRiver focuses on cross platform support for their new features, I'm sure it can be done quite effectively in the future though.

Even with development progress only doing down about 10-20% because of such a thing, I would be very very negative my self. And I know there are other hardcore JRiver fans just like me. Even though OSx have gotten more support, MS is still the ruler of the OS used at home.

Well, I kind of disagree a bit, Only beacuse it would not take away from the client part of it.  Whatever developers we have now developing the client part would continue ie.. Matt and others.  The only thing that really needs to be done is to bring on a Linux resource and let the person concentrate on that part of it, the Linux port (Server).

Right now I hate the fact that Plex has done this very thing and had success at doing it - and its free.  We on the other hand pay a small donation.  However, we have to wait years down the road.  Heck, charge more to cover the additional resource.

SmoothJimB

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »

Not to knock Linux or its users, but it seems that a lot of folks who favor Linux are of the open source free application variety. 

J River Media Center is a great program worth its original price and the cost of each major version, but I don't think the average Linux user is in to actually buying software on a platform that is mostly about finding and developing free alternatives to commercial software solutions.

It usually comes down to business, the paying customers might not offset the additional development resources.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »

Not to knock Linux or its users, but it seems that a lot of folks who favor Linux are of the open source free application variety. 

J River Media Center is a great program worth its original price and the cost of each major version, but I don't think the average Linux user is in to actually buying software on a platform that is mostly about finding and developing free alternatives to commercial software solutions.

It usually comes down to business, the paying customers might not offset the additional development resources.

FYI:

unRaid is not FREE..  Not many NAS's are..  I'm just saying.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 06:51:41 pm »

MrHaugen

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:11 am »

FYI:

unRaid is not FREE..  Not many NAS's are..  I'm just saying.

Neither are the linux PC's most of the time. Windows users often pay for their OS AND the NAS. So, I think this is a rather bad argument :) In either way, it does not change the fact that most Linux users would probably go for free alternatives if it is available. At least MY friends who used linux back in the days were of this kind.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 12:04:43 am »

Just to drag this up, if Jim was to say "We've done a Linux port of Server that runs as a service and it's $20 or $30" - I'm sold.

Jim and the guys have proven their products are worth every penny

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 07:41:23 pm »

Just to drag this up, if Jim was to say "We've done a Linux port of Server that runs as a service and it's $20 or $30" - I'm sold.

Jim and the guys have proven their products are worth every penny

I bid $50. I'd pay that much again for a Linux server port. Not holding my breath though.

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 10:27:41 am »

Yes, Linux Support would be great, with an option for bitperfect audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up