INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Testing deinterlacing changes in 17.0.149  (Read 4938 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Testing deinterlacing changes in 17.0.149
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:33:23 pm »

2. Changed: Hardware based video deinterlacing is now disabled in LAV video when EVR or madVR renderer is being used.

HW Accel ON: Works pretty much as expected (tested on both an nvidia and intel GPU) and I think I get a bit more headroom on the Intel GPU which is nice. 

HW Accel OFF:  ROHQ appears to both use YADIF (I can see the CPU Utilisation go up) but madVR is still sending them off do be deinterlaced again (according to the madVR OSD)
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:37:13 am »

With HW Accel off CPU Util would always go up, because the CPU is doing decoding now. Are you sure about that? :d
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 05:12:15 am »

Attached are two pics with HW Acell ON and Off.  As you can see madVR claims to be doing Deinterlacing even when HW Acell is set to OFF, and you can see the difference in CPU and GPU utilisation.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:16:22 am »

You can try to run the Cheese Slice test, it'll quite clearly show the differences in HW Deinterlacing and YADIF.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1157287

I still doubt it would say "deinterlacing: on (says upstream)" when YADIF would be on.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:17:09 am »

For comparison here is the playback of a 1080/50p with HW Acell OFF and as you can see madVR is reporting that deinterlacing is off.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:23:53 am »

My only point is that in MC with these changes in MC, when Tools --> Options --> "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" is unchecked it looks like YADIF is being used (higher CPU as you would expect) yet madVR is reporting that it is deinterlacing yet the VPU stats indicate little is happening.  I would have expected that if deinterlacing is done by LAV then madVR's would show that deinterlacing is OFF.  Is it possible that the output from LAV when "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" is unchecked is still tagging the frames as interlaced when they are not?

Happy to test with the cheese slices, but what which one would you like me to test on?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:10 am »

I still doubt it would say "deinterlacing: on (says upstream)" when YADIF would be on.

100% - that is my obsersation.  Currently when Tools --> Options --> "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" is unchecked madVR still says "deinterlacing: on (says upstream)"
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:40:03 am »

OK - ran the cheese slices tests with "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" both checked and unchecked and both times madVR still says "deinterlacing: on (says upstream)" and the output looked the same to me yet the CPU/GPU utilisation looks different.

JRiver CEO Elect

JohnT

Re: Testing deinterlacing changes in 17.0.149
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:02:56 am »

Attached are two pics with HW Acell ON and Off.  As you can see madVR claims to be doing Deinterlacing even when HW Acell is set to OFF, and you can see the difference in CPU and GPU utilisation.

By design, madVR WILL be doing the deinterlacing whether HW Accel. is ON or OFF.  The only time LAV will do deinterlacing is if you're using some other renderer besides madVR or EVR.

The "enable HW accel" flag in MC mainly refers to decoding.  The only time it controls usage of YADIF in LAV is the case where you are not using madVR or EVR for a renderer.  In that case, it uses LAV for deinterlacing and the "enable HW accel" flag controls whether LAV's software YADIF deinterlacing is used rather than LAV's hardware deinterlacing.

Reference the logic flow here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72012.msg487432#msg487432
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »

That explains everything I'm seeing!
if renderer is madVR or EVR:
    turn off all LAV deinterlacing
    let renderer do deinterlacing
else if hardware acceleration is selected in MC (and hardware supports it):
    turn on LAV hardware deinterlacing
else
    turn on LAV software deinterlacing (YADIF)
endif

My apologies I had read this earlier but for some reason thought the logic was:
if hardware acceleration is selected in MC and renderer is madVR or EVR:
    turn off all LAV deinterlacing
    let renderer do deinterlacing
else if hardware acceleration is selected in MC (and hardware supports it) and renderer is NOT madVR or EVR:
    turn on LAV hardware deinterlacing
else
    turn on LAV software deinterlacing (YADIF)
endif

I've no issue with the feature set in MC as I have the combination I like, but it means you can not have SW (YADIF) deinterlacing if you use EVR or madVR.  This may not be a bad thing, just a statement.
JRiver CEO Elect

audioriver

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 11:30:00 am »

I don't understand why hardware acceleration in now disabled with no option given to re-enable it. It seems to me that LAV Filters, through their frequent updates too, handle (decode) all types of video streams available a little better than madVR. After this change, I've lost smooth deinterlacing on some 1080i DVB-S channels. I've tried to manually disable madVR's decoding/deinterlacing and manually access LAV, but that seems hard too. Please give an option to use the pre-17.0.149 method.
Windows 10 Pro x64

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 11:47:12 am »

17.0.155 is available at the top of the MC17 board.

vairulez

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 11:52:47 am »

as I have reported in the 17.0.155 post, deinterlacing is still problematic with this build.
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M
Pages: [1]   Go Up