INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio channels messed in LOTR Extended and Star Wars.  (Read 2394 times)

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
Audio channels messed in LOTR Extended and Star Wars.
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:48:28 pm »

Hi,

My setup is:

HTPC audio setup to "Wasapi Event Style", doing the relevant audio decoding (I need VideoClock) and sending the PCM stream via HDMI (Nvidia 560ti) to my AV processor in a 5.1 setup.

I have "DSP Studio" configured for outputting channels as "Source number of channels" because I want the audio path as Direct as possible.

Everything works great (Stereo and Multichannel) except, as far as I know, with "Star Wars" and "Lord Of The Rings" Extended collections, where the channels are messed up (ex: no center channel)

The audio track from MediaInfo for both sagas is:

Audio
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Muxing mode                              : Header stripping
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 7 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: C, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Title                                    : DTS-HD  MA 6.1
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

I can make it work if i setup "DSP Studio" for outputting channels as "5.1" and in "Mixing" I selected: "No upmixing or downmixing". But then for stereo I will have in "Audio Path":  "Convert to 2 channels for 6 channels" instead of "No changes are being made" as intended and achieved with outputting channels as "Source number of channels".

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio channels messed in LOTR Extended and Star Wars.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:33:30 pm »

It should work if you select the number of speakers you have and JRSS mixing.  This is the recommended approach.

Otherwise you're asking the AVR or driver to do the mixing.  You might be able to make that work too, but it's not a JRiver thing.  JRSS should be better anyway, because it knows the type of file you're playing while your AVR does not.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

Thanks Matt.

I understand, but I am trying to keep the signal processing to a minimum as I use crossovers and ROOM-EQ from my AV processor (Classé SSP-800). Even without using JRSS and only selecting the number of speakers (5.1) it affects stereo stream: as "Audio Path" confirms by inform me about "Convert to 2 channels for 6 channels", and my AV processor states that is receiving a "Multichannel PCM" stream and not a stereo one, as it does when  "Source number of channels" is selected.

If the "DSP studio" is set to: "5.1" and "No upmixing or downmixing", shouldn't JRiver leave stereo PCM stream untouched? On this situation what processing are being done when JRiver Audio Path states "Convert to 2 channels for 6 channels"?

Thanks again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:09:53 pm »

If the "DSP studio" is set to: "5.1" and "No upmixing or downmixing", shouldn't JRiver leave stereo PCM stream untouched?

It does, but the unused channels will be silence instead of missing.  This produces a consistent output format at the hardware level, which solves lots of troubles with channel ordering, etc. (like you're having now).

Also, remember that JRSS makes no changes to channels that exist in the source.  So it does keep signal processing to a minimum, while leveraging the proper number of speakers for your setup.

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:54:18 pm »

I have only one doubt left: on the "DSP Studio", if the unused channels are silence with "5.1" and "No upmixing or downmixing" selected and if I choose JRSS instead, makes no changes to channels that exist in the source and only leverages the proper number of speakers. What are the differences between the two options?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:33 pm »

I have only one doubt left: on the "DSP Studio", if the unused channels are silence with "5.1" and "No upmixing or downmixing" selected and if I choose JRSS instead, makes no changes to channels that exist in the source and only leverages the proper number of speakers. What are the differences between the two options?

If the input is 5.1 and the output is 5.1, there is no difference.

If the input is 7.1 and the output is 5.1, JRSS will mix the additional channels into your 5.1 system and 'No upmixing or downmixing' will discard the channels that don't map directly to an output channel.

In other words, JRSS is used to up or downmix, but only as necessary. 

If you're the type that doesn't like 2.0 as 5.1/7.1, I would still use JRSS but check the option 'For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1'.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:25 pm »

Also, remember that JRSS makes no changes to channels that exist in the source.

I should note that this is mostly true, but there are exceptions.

For example, mixing a television show or movie (it keys on the 'Media Sub Type' field) from 2.0 to 5.1/7.1 will use center-focused mixing to put dialog in the center.  So in this mode, dialog is removed from the left and right.  This breaks the rule, but for a good reason.

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 04:13:00 pm »

If you're the type that doesn't like 2.0 as 5.1/7.1, I would still use JRSS but check the option 'For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1'.

I just did that ;D and on "Subwoofer" I have selected "Silent (use Room Correction to redirect bass to the subwoofer)" as I have "Room Correction" off in JRiver. As I said it, for now I leave this tasks (Room-Eq and crossovers) for my AV processor.

Thanks for your invaluable help and for a fantastic product.  8)

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17:56 pm »

Clarifying: on a plain stereo source as a CD definitely I don't want upmixing, but for a Movie/TV Show in 2.0 format (or 2.1...) the upmixing is most welcome.

Can JRiver apply conditional post-processing (upmixing) by 'Media Sub Type'?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »

Clarifying: on a plain stereo source as a CD definitely I don't want upmixing, but for a Movie/TV Show in 2.0 format (or 2.1...) the upmixing is most welcome.

Can JRiver apply conditional post-processing (upmixing) by 'Media Sub Type'?

Not currently.

You can create two (or more) zones with separate settings, but you'll have to do the zone switching manually.

I hope we can make this easier someday.

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:30:04 am »

Ok.

I just have created 3 Zones, to handle my needs  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up