INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't control internal volume with MC remote  (Read 3429 times)

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Can't control internal volume with MC remote
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find anything relevant. I just received a Media Center remote, my thinking was that it can control MC's volume when it's set to 'internal', but I can't get it to work. As it is now it controls the volume of the default sound device in Windows. I would rather use MC's internal volume, and since I use the loopback function for Netflix and Spotify my audio inteface is not the selected default device.

Is it possible to control just MC's internal volume with the remote, or did I misunderstand?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can't control internal volume with MC remote
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »

If Media Center has the focus, an MCE remote should control the internal volume.

If another program has the focus, it may not work.

I'll put it on our list to see if there's any way around this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have looked into it more closely before I bought it. When MC is the focus the remote volume controls the default sound device.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:20:30 pm »

When MC is the focus the remote volume controls the default sound device.

It shouldn't.

What if you play a movie fullscreen?

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:08:51 pm »

It works that way, just not with the normal volume buttons. I have to push up to access the volume, then the left and right buttons do the volume control. That would be cool, but I pretty much only listen to music, and when I do watch movies it's Netlix  ::). When listening to music in theater view it doesn't work at all.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:13:21 pm »

You could customize the buttons to use the MC core command
Volume up (the number after the comma and space determines the amount of increase/decrease, 1% in the examples below)
MC17.exe /MCC 10018, 1
Volume down
MC17.exe /MCC 10019, 1
Sean

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:01:38 pm »

You could customize the buttons to use the MC core command
Volume up (the number after the comma and space determines the amount of increase/decrease, 1% in the examples below)
MC17.exe /MCC 10018, 1
Volume down
MC17.exe /MCC 10019, 1

What would this accomplish.........and how would I do it? My guess is Options/Remote/Commands then edit the Volume Up/Down commands, deleting the stock command and using the "Add Run" to do what you suggest? Thought I'd try it (if that's even correct, didn't hurt anything anyways!) and I get the same result, it controls the default sound volume when MC is the main focus and otherwise.

I can now get it to work in Theater View while listening to music the same way I did watching a movie, by scrolling through the little menu at the bottom during playback, just not very convenient..........

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »

When listening to music in theater view it doesn't work at all.

This isn't normal.

Could you stop any shortcut or keyboard software you have installed (Logitech, IntelliType, etc.) and see if it helps?

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:03 pm »

Uninstalled Logitech Setpoint (don't really need it anyway), rebooted and made sure there were no related services or processes running: no change in MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:08:09 pm »

Uninstalled Logitech Setpoint (don't really need it anyway), rebooted and made sure there were no related services or processes running: no change in MC.

What OS are you on?

Can you think of anything else that might be getting in the way?

Does anyone else have a volume button on an MCE remote that doesn't work, even when Media Center has the focus?

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »

I'm on Win7, and I missed Intellitype earlier. Stopped that process and volume now works when MC is the focus!

Now if it would work at all times (when MC isn't the focus) it'd be perfect. Either way this is much better than being tethered to the keyboard, and when I'm doing serious listening or non-computer things I'll use theater view.

Thanks guys.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:53 pm »

Now if it would work at all times (when MC isn't the focus) it'd be perfect.

We've never been able to figure out how to do that.

This area is a particular headache.  Microsoft documentation says one thing, then Intellitype changes it to be something totally different, and Logitech changes it again.  And then those keyboard programs often have special handling for certain media players like iTunes instead of sending messages in a standard way so anyone can handle them.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 01:12:46 am »

What would this accomplish.........and how would I do it? My guess is Options/Remote/Commands then edit the Volume Up/Down commands, deleting the stock command and using the "Add Run" to do what you suggest? Thought I'd try it (if that's even correct, didn't hurt anything anyways!) and I get the same result, it controls the default sound volume when MC is the main focus and otherwise.

It will allow you to control the volume of MC regardless of whether it has focus or not.
Make sure you have selected "internal volume" from the volume icon right click menu in standard view.
Use the below settings.
Obviously you can change the 1 to something else if you don't need such precise control.
Sean

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:38 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, it's working now! That's what I was doing, but hadn't completely closed MC after I changed it. You have to close MC and restart after you make the changes (which I thought I did) but the Media Server was still running. Close that out, restart MC and it will change volume when MC is minimized - killer! The other thing I had to do was have it learn volume up and volume down, I noticed my button code only had a '?' in that box.

This info should be in the wiki.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:46:20 pm »

The question mark is only there until you learn the button on the remote after that you should see something similar to what is in my capture above.
Yeah I have forgotten to close media server several times when making changes that require a restart.
Sean

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 06:09:28 pm »

Where do you find those parameters for the button functions? I'd like to also have Play, Pause, etc be usable at any time.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up