INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Name Column in Pane View  (Read 2272 times)

smith7181

• Recent member
Name Column in Pane View
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »

Hello,

I have issue with the way a track plays when double clicked from the "name" panel.  I have attached 2 images describing how it currently operates and how I would like it to operate.  Thanks for your help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Name Column in Pane View
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:44:03 pm »

Remove the name column and double-click the track in the album list below.  This will cause it to play the full playlist, starting at the clicked track.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

smith7181

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:11:31 pm »

Thanks for your reply.  I was aware of that method, but what I'm a looking for is a 4 column pane view with no horizontal window.  So 4 panes: genre, artist, album, tracks.  I want this arrangement because my artists, album, and track lists tend to be quite long and 4 columns is, i find, a much better use of screen real estate than columns + plus 1 row.  I have attached a screenshot of this method in Itunes. 

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:13:08 pm »

I don't think there's any way to do what exactly what you're describing.

But you can put the panes on the left by customizing the view.  It stacks the panes, but this might still work well for you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

smith7181

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »

Ok, I can live without it then as I prefer JRiver to Itunes in every other way.  I do appreciate your replies though.  I tried the panes on the left, but that leaves too little vertical space for the artists and album columns.

However, I would like to suggest this view for a future release if it's not a great deal of work.  I think it's the best use of space for users that have lots of albums per artist, tracks per albums, & little interest in album art.  Plus it flows nicely from left to right.  Thanks.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:54:41 pm »

See if a nested pane is workable for you, with Panes on the left.  Use a single expression column with the value:

[Genre]\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]&datatype=[list]
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

smith7181

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:02:07 pm »

See if a nested pane is workable for you, with Panes on the left.  Use a single expression column with the value:

[Genre]\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]&datatype=[list]

Oh that's very nice!  I love how when you select a new artist the previous one collapses.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:05:18 pm »

I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for but you could just double click the album and then advance forward to the track you want.
Sean

smith7181

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:20:00 pm »

Really happy with the nested pane.  Is their a tutorial for forming these and a list of all possible values?

Thanks again.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:34:37 pm »

There are references that might be helpful:

MC Expression Language
  File Properties (Tags)
  Customizing MC 17 Views

There's a lot of info there, probably too much to cull the answer to this particular question, but the references are there.

smith7181

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 02:42:26 pm »

Thanks so much.  Was just reading the "Media Center expression language" page.  This is going to be great.  Ultimately I'll probably just add [grouping] before [album] for higher order things like orchestral, chamber, etc... But that little change will be quite convenient.

I'm particularly glad that entries auto collapse unless you specifically hit the arrow and not the artist/album name.

smith7181

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »

Ok quick question- I put [grouping] in front of album.  The only slight hiccup is a backslash "\" in front of every entry that has no grouping.  Not a big deal, but just for the heck of it I tried (fyi i've substituted "list" for [ list ] as it messed with the html:

if(!IsEmpty([grouping]),[Genre]\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Grouping]\[Album]&datatype="list",[Genre]\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]&datatype="list")

No more forward slash, but now all group-less albums titles were appended with "&datatype="list"" in the pane (ie Symphony 1 was displaying as Symphony 1&datatype="list". 

So I tried I removed the text in red:

if(!IsEmpty([grouping]),[Genre]\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Grouping]\[Album]&datatype="list",[Genre]\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album])

Everything looks good, but I'm afraid losing that &datatype="list" will have some undesired effect (like causing certain things to be hidden or not show up).  My collection's big enough where I may not notice, finding myself suddenly in need of something I actually have.

MrC

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 03:33:34 pm »

Only one datatype cast is necessary per expression.

Reduce expression length by moving common terms out of If() statements:

[Genre]\[Album Artist (auto)]ifelse(!IsEmpty([grouping]), \[Grouping])\[Album]&datatype=[list]

Alternatively, use listbuild() to build a list such as this, where you want empty items ignored:

listbuild(1, \, [Genre], [Album Artist (auto)], [Grouping], [Album])&datatype=[list]

Regarding [list], see: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72058.msg488007#msg488007

smith7181

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 02:23:54 pm »

Working great.  One minor issue that doesn't really affect me, but I'll mention nonetheless, is that if an album has a semi colon in it Album title (for instance Bach; Mass in B Minor), then it is file in the expression pane under the genre "Mass in B minor"

MrC

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »

This would be a limitation of the conversion to a list type.  The list parser in MC uses semicolons to designate sub-levels.  You'd have to use something like Replace() to change semicolons into some other character (such as colon, or dash, or bullet, or star, ...).

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »

Or you could just change the semicolon to a colon in the name since that is the proper punctuation. ;D
Sean

MrC

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 04:56:11 pm »

True, but I've tripped over this a bunch of times.  Since colon is an illegal Windows FS character, Rename changes it from colon anyway, and Fill Properties from Filename would never be able to put it back anyway.  I've pretty much given up those characters in Name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up