Devices > PC's and Other Hardware

Problems reading hard disk from a WHS

<< < (3/12) > >>

Theogenes:

--- Quote from: JimH on May 31, 2012, 02:08:46 pm ---I don't know what that is, but if you have any other drives installed, unplug them.  Even thumb drives, etc.

--- End quote ---

The only drive I have not directly mounted is the one in question that contains my files, and it's in an external enclosure. Should I remove one of my other drives that are actually directly connected and try hooking it up that way?

JimH:
Internal hard disks are not a problem.

Theogenes:

--- Quote from: JimH on May 31, 2012, 02:28:20 pm ---Internal hard disks are not a problem.

--- End quote ---

Gotcha!! Does that mean it would be wise to take the drive I currently have externally mounted (that contains the majority of the problematic files) and mount it internally instead?

Scolex:

--- Quote from: Theogenes on May 31, 2012, 02:31:54 pm ---Gotcha!! Does that mean it would be wise to take the drive I currently have externally mounted (that contains the majority of the problematic files) and mount it internally instead?

--- End quote ---

Yes even if only temporarily as a trouble shooting step and to check for a firmware update.
You may also download crystal disk info to see what the drive offers via SMART details.
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

When you install the drive internally you may need to change the assigned drive letter to match it's currrent one since Windows will sometimes set drive letter based on which SATA port it is connected to.

Theogenes:
Okay, I've got the drive mounted internally now and am attempting to update the firmware. I can browse the filesystem on it, but my computer is CRAWLING on doing anything. (I'm typing this on my tablet b/c even Chrome is creeping at the moment). Definitely not going to be a long-term solution on the internal mounting.

Will keep you apprised!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version