INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems trying to switch from WMC  (Read 1582 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
Problems trying to switch from WMC
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:03 pm »

So I tried using MC instead of WMC this weekend and it didn't go well. And not just because my wife isn't a techie. Her beefs are legitimate.

- When viewing pictures (specifically, when viewing full screen/slideshow mode), she was able to advance to the next picture when she wanted by pressing the right arrow - until she wasn't. Periodically she just couldn't advance anymore and had to back out to the All Files view.

- Our main audio view (which is an Artist & Albums view based on file system) inexplicably started at L, omitting everything from A-K. Restarting MC (and Media Server) made some of the As reappear, but that's it. Eventually it recovered (after another restart), but I don't know why. Just flaky.

- We played "Highly Rated" music and it started looping after an hour. We have many, many times more four and five-star music than this. Songs with five stars simply weren't in the list. It's worth mentioning that several songs that played included artists A-K, so the library clearly knew the songs existed despite not showing them (see above).

I know there's another big thread with some people arguing that MC needs more eye candy, and others saying it's great just because of its functionality. Well, eye candy has never been my family's problem with MC. It's always been that it fails (either by design or by bug) to function like a normal person would expect it to function.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC rejected by wife again
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:48 am »

Those are strange problems and not ones I've heard about.  Did you have the same version of MC on both sides?  Which was it?

We've had very few problems like those in a long time now.

For viewing pictures, play the slideshow, and use OK to start and stop.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
Re: MC rejected by wife again
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:54:13 am »

Did you have the same version of MC on both sides?  Which was it?

There is only one side. I am not running Client/Server anymore because you can't record TV or browse video. This computer has its own library. The version of MC is 17.0.155.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Problems trying to switch from WMC
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:35:03 pm »

But above, you said you're running Media Server.

I think you solved this problem:

- Our main audio view (which is an Artist & Albums view based on file system) inexplicably started at L, omitting everything from A-K. Restarting MC (and Media Server) made some of the As reappear, but that's it. Eventually it recovered (after another restart), but I don't know why. Just flaky.

That may just have been import showing more and more files as it made progress.  Is it OK now?

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:29 pm »

But above, you said you're running Media Server.

By Media Server, I meant the icon in the lower right that runs even when MC is closed. I run this (on the same machine) because I use MC to handle remote control commands, so it needs to be running even when MC is closed. I only mentioned it to underscore the fact that I closed everything.

It is true that all of the music is showing up now. However, all of the music was also showing up last week, before the problem occurred. So it doesn't seem like just an initial import problem. I don't know if/when it will happen again.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 02:25:30 pm »

This continues to happen. Today, only albums M through Z showed up. I have to exit MC completely and it eventually fixes itself.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »

This doesn't make sense.  Are you using the default library?  It almost sounds like you're connected to a DLNA Server on the same PC.  You shouldn't be.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:33:06 pm »

This doesn't make sense.  Are you using the default library?  It almost sounds like you're connected to a DLNA Server on the same PC.  You shouldn't be.

I don't have DLNA enabled on this computer. I am using the default library. The only factor that is even a little more complicated than default-out-of-the-box situation is that all media, including the music, is on a network drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up