INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stupid questions from an inexperienced user  (Read 1337 times)

Veej007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
stupid questions from an inexperienced user
« on: March 17, 2003, 08:50:17 pm »

hey guys.

i don't use mj too much, because winamp is much more lightweight and the "wincue" plugin that i currently use for managing my library responds much faster than the mj "media library" search function.  

as a result, i'm not sure of a couple of things.  i am hoping that you can help me.

i use mj mostly for managing music on my portable player.  it is great for that purpose, but there are a couple of things that annoy me about the way i use it now.

1\  how can i set mj to ignore id3 tags?  my filenames are all formatted the way i want them to be, and i'd much rather not even see the id3's.  i told it to ignore id3 tags when i imported all the files in my mp3 folder for the first time, but it seems to have imported them anyway (or written its own) and is using them.

2\  i would like to be able to make playlists in winamp, since that's still my preferred player for most things, and then call them up in mj to be sent to the portable.  i have set it so that m3u and pls extensions will be updated when i choose to update the library, but they show up under the "playlists" section without any playable files.  that is, the playlists show up (with names and all), but when i choose "send to now playing" it doesn't know what to do with them.  it seems like the playlists as they appear in mj don't contain anything.  they still work fine in winamp.

3\  sometimes i will download some new mp3s and move them from the "downloads" folder to the "mp3 library" folder, but when i choose "update library" in media jukebox, the new files still do not show up.  what gives?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: stupid questions from an inexperienced user
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 09:44:56 pm »

when i choose "update library" in media jukebox, the new files still do not show up.  what gives?

To add new files to the library you have to choose Import Media, which is on the Tools menu.

Rob

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 05:06:34 am »

Veej007,

1\  how can i set mj to ignore id3 tags?  

If you don't want MJ to show you tag info, try right clicking in the toolbar and deselect the columns you do not want to see.]

...i have set it so that m3u and pls extensions will be updated when i choose to update the library, but they show up under the "playlists" section without any playable files.

I cannot duplicate this. Under Tools->Import Media, select your playlist type (i.e. m3u) and import the files. The Playlist should appear in the left tree with the files associated with it.

3) Was addressed correctly by Rocketsauce.

Veej007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 05:37:45 am »

I just did it again to be sure.  I'm on 8.0.388.  Is that an old version?  Could that make a difference?

You should be able to expand the playlists and see the songs in each one, right?  Mine don't have the little "plus" icon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 06:35:58 am »

There is a later version on the downloads page here.

If there is no + symbol, MJ thinks there is no content there.

Don't use update library for what you're doing.  It just checks existing library entries to see if files have been removed.  Use import.  

Veej007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 11:19:42 am »

uninstalled old version, reinstalled the newer update, imported media, still no content to the playlists.  this sucks.  is there anything i can do?

also tried using the mj explorer shell and the shortcut that i put in my "sendto."  used both m3u and pls formats.  it says "please select file to play."  
Pages: [1]   Go Up