INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Images Do Not Change  (Read 5611 times)

wreach

• Recent member
Theater View Images Do Not Change
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »

i just converted from MC 15 to 17 and MC 17 theater view does not change the background image (using the "default" folder. The same image stays on the screen until I exit theater view and re-start it. As nearly as I can tell, I have the same options set as in MC15 which works ok.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: THEATER VIEW MC 17 IMAGE DOES NOT CHANGE
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »

As you browse around and select different artists, movies, etc. the backdrops should change.

You can configure this in Options > Theater View > Theme > Online media slideshow
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wreach

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:07:47 pm »

Thanks, but I don't want to show on-line images, I want to show my own images that I have loaded into the "Theme: Default" folder.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:48:56 am »

I would copy the Theme and make changes to those files instead. Make sure you have the correct theme selected, and that the files are named correctly. It should work just fine.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

wreach

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:36 am »

I believe there is a problem with MC17 .. (I have been a user since MC12 and never had this problem:
  In Theater View, the backround image never changes.
  I followed the advice in the two previous replies;
  I tried it on two different computers, same result;
  I uninstalled / reinstalled MC17 and ran with default settings;
  I compared settings with MC15 version, which does work.

Could you please test this before I give up on 17 ? thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Theater View Images Do Not Change
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:25:42 am »

Theme images only change when switching views.  They don't run as a slideshow.

wreach

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:18:34 am »

Am I missing something here? are you telling me that the theater view background "slide show" of on-line or local images worked in MC 15, but MC 17 does not have that feature?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:45 am »

Online images run as a slideshow.

Theme images switch only when switching views.

wreach

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

This was my first time posting on the "forum" ... I never needed help before.

I have to say while the response was quick, the replies were about as cryptic and useless as I could imagine. They were of no help at all.

I guess you are only interested in people who are really into the guts of the thing and have no time for helping the casual user. Of course, if your user guide documentation was adequate, which it is not, there would be no need to seek this kind of assistance on the forum.

If there were freeware, it would be worth about what it cost . . . I suspect I won't be back for further upgrades.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:46:23 pm »

I'm sorry if my answers were unhelpful.

You might ask for more details if something was unclear.

And if you're looking for a change from the current behavior, please describe the change and why it's important to you.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:32 pm »

I guess you are only interested in people who are really into the guts of the thing and have no time for helping the casual user.
You would have guessed wrong.  In my opinion, it is an unkind thing to say about Matt or about JRiver.  He gave you good help.  It apparently wasn't the answer you wanted.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »

If you get cryptic or useless answers it's often because you have not provided enough info, so that other people have to guess what you want. Sometimes they miss with the answers, other times the people with the questions misunderstands the answers. Sometimes the users does not signal what kind of knowledge they have of the product, so they answer you in a cryptic or to simplified way. It first seems like you have full control of theater view customization, because you're in the folders and messing with the files and you seem to have been doing so for the last 3 versions. But in reality you do not know much of how the underlaying systems work. At least it seems like this to me.

The JRiver forums are one of the best help and support forums in the world I think. I'm active in quite a few, and I've seen my share of hopeless support. Here you have very knowledgeable users, that is often very quick at helping out. There are several super active and smart users on this forum that are willing to spend literally hours of their time to help users with problems. You also have the developers who actively use the forums and help out, and they actually listen to the user feedback. So, I do think it's unfair to judge them based on such a bad forum post.

You've basically just said that you want to change backgrounds in theater view. You say you're messing with the theme folder and that you're not interested in online backgrounds. It's not strange that Matt answers the way he does. I think many of the experienced users would jump to the same conclusion as well.

Static Backgrounds in theater view is based on the View's name. It has to match, and you can only have one static background for each view. Like movies view with a movies.jpg image, main menu with a root.jpg (?) image, Audio view with a Audio.jpg image and so on. And as Matt said, those images will only change when you actually change a view. If you had provided with exact paths and file names, as well as where you wanted to show those backgrounds, I'm pretty sure you would have gotten the correct answer in the first replay.

Bricktop

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 04:30:08 pm »

Static Backgrounds in theater view is based on the View's name. It has to match, and you can only have one static background for each view. Like movies view with a movies.jpg image, main menu with a root.jpg (?) image, Audio view with a Audio.jpg image and so on. And as Matt said, those images will only change when you actually change a view.

Just a clarification, the images in each "view", i.e, "Movies" have to be in each theme folder that is named accordingly, but the name of the image file is irrelevant. You can also have multiple images in each "view" folder and JRiver will cycle the images each time you leave the view and come back, but it is not "dynamic".

Bricktop

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »

...but it is not "dynamic".

If you want something dynamic, there's also the possibility of using video loops for backgrounds. See dreamscene.org for examples.

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:31:32 am »

Just a clarification, the images in each "view", i.e, "Movies" have to be in each theme folder that is named accordingly, but the name of the image file is irrelevant.

Correct. Sorry, was away from my MC installation, so I could not test it my self. The directories have to match. That sounds right.

Bricktop

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 04:17:07 pm »

If you want something dynamic, there's also the possibility of using video loops for backgrounds. See dreamscene.org for examples.

I am perfectly fine with static "view" screens, I spend very little time in the menu system anyway...I'm usually in the Movies view of TheaterView.  With that being said...that dreamscene site has some nice backdrops. Reminds me of Sony's "ribbon" on PS3. Is there any way to get something like that to work in JRiver? Not sure I would use it, but who knows, I like eye candy, I could see using that. Or even for TV Shows, have a TV with the "tube" cycling through the series backdrops.

Thanks,
Bricktop

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 05:35:02 pm »

Reminds me of Sony's "ribbon" on PS3. Is there any way to get something like that to work in JRiver?

Yes. I'm not sure it's the same thing, but I use PS3 Waves Dreamscene - Black.mpg as a background for my main menu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up