INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware acceleration with AMD Radeon cards (MadVR)  (Read 19262 times)

vartoooza

Hardware acceleration with AMD Radeon cards (MadVR)
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:39:20 am »

Hi, is hardware acceleration working with AMD Radeon cards or its Nvidia (CUVID) only?Im talking about Red October HQ mode (MadVR).

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Hardware acceleration with AMD Radeon cards (MadVR)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:57:23 pm »

Yes, Madvr will use the processing power of nvidia, ATI and Intel GPU's for both scaling and also deinterlacing.  Video Decoding is done by LAV Video and this too will use the GPU pending the video format and the support in the GPU (or else will use the CPU).
JRiver CEO Elect

dean70

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:26:58 pm »

Is there any way in MC to determine if MadVR and LAV is currently using the GPU?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:48:25 pm »

well I'm pretty well sure you don't have a choice if using madVR, it is using the GPU for the scaling all the time.  You can see in the madVR OSD if it is doing the deinterlacing (also in the GPU).  It is less of an issue on where the decoding is done as this is exactly the same quality regardless of if it is CPU or GPU but you should be able to tell by looking at how the CPU utilisation goes (on nvidia you can use nvidia inspector to see how it is hammering the GPU).  In general, with Red Octover just relax and enjoy the movie :)
JRiver CEO Elect

Jong

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 03:31:50 am »

Jmone is,right MadVR will always use your GPU for its upscaling/rendering. In fact i had to create a custom filter path for LAV to be used for video decoding at all. Red October advanced was only using it for splitting and audio. Also, LAV video decoding is not accelerated by default. If you right click on the video and look at your filter settings you can configure LAV to hardware accelerate decoding. You need to choose "DXVA copyback".

But that highlights an issue though. Having both LAV and MadVR hammering your GPU at the same time can be problematic. Not necessarily a problem with GPU processing but on memory bandwidth between system RAM and GPU RAM. On my system, which has a good up to date GPU, but an old Core2 motherboard, MadVR drops frames badly when I try to use h/w acceleration with LAV. The upload and rendering queues cannot keep up.

Give it a try, but do use "ctrl-j" to check for dropped frames afterwards. Check all your queues are keeping up.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:52:27 am »

FYI - LAV Video Decoder is a core part of MC's Red October and will always be used and there is no need to create a custom filter path to enable it.  RO (with LAV Video) will try to use HW video decoding if you check the Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings --? Hardware Accelerate video decoding where possible.  It depends on the video format and the GPU you are using.  As Jong points out, weaker GPU's may struggle with everthing being dumped on them.
JRiver CEO Elect

Jong

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:04:32 am »

Jmone, just to be clear, my GPU was fine - < 50% utilised- it was the bandwidth between it and the system that was lacking. I do not see that discussed much in guides, which is why I raised it.

I am interested in what you say about Red October and LAV. I'm not disagreeing, I am new to MC, but if true it is odd - LAV video does not appear in my filter list when I use regular RO (advanced). Instead the filter list says MadVR is connected to a filter called "J River Video Monitor", which is, in turn, connected to the video output of the splitter. LAV splitter and LAV audio DO appear in the list.

LAV video only appears if I set up a custom filter path based on RO. And it is only then that I can configure it to use, or not use, DXVA.  ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:57:45 am »

If you do a right click on the playing now window you should see a filter list like with (with RO HQ)
JRiver CEO Elect

Jong

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 07:08:16 am »

That's interesting, because I don't! I'm using the latest build from this forum. I see LAV video only if I custom configure it. LAV audio and splitter (and MadVR) on the other hand do appear. ?

Not sure why. Anyway, I guess it means it's best to check!  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 07:10:31 am »

We advise using Red October Standard or HQ.  Customization should not be required.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 07:14:27 am »

Jong, it is impossible not to have a video decoder (like LAV Video) in the filter list.... you can not connect a splitter to a renderer.  To see what is happening either post a screen shot (like I did) or else on the playing now window do a "right click --> direct show filters --> copy graph info to clipboard" then post the results here such as:
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'madVR'
        CLSID: {E1A8B82A-32CE-4B0D-BE0D-AA68C772E423}
        Host: C:\Users\Mum and Dad\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\madvr\madvr.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
        Host: C:\Users\Mum and Dad\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\lav\LAVVideo.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG1Payload, Format type FORMAT_MPEGVideo
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'madVR'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Mum and Dad\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_AUDIO, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG1Payload, Format type FORMAT_MPEGVideo
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_AUDIO, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}
        Host: C:\Users\Mum and Dad\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\lav\LAVSplitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
JRiver CEO Elect

Jong

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 07:17:15 am »

See here.

Jong

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:20:52 am »

As I said jmone, the splitter is conected to JRiver Video Monitor and then on to MadVR.
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver Subtitle Renderer'
        CLSID: {F74E834C-9C98-43ED-89B1-19A9DF82E774}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Subtitle' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type Unknown GUID Name: {E487EB08-6B26-4BE9-9DD3-993434D313FD}  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {04EBA53E-9330-436C-9133-553EC87031DC}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {04EBA53E-9330-436C-9133-553EC87031DC}

Filter 'madVR'
        CLSID: {E1A8B82A-32CE-4B0D-BE0D-AA68C772E423}
        Host: G:\Users\Media Player\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\madvr\madvr.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: G:\Users\Media Player\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {EB27CEC4-163E-4CA3-8B74-8E25F91B517E}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'madVR'

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {EB27CEC4-163E-4CA3-8B74-8E25F91B517E}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}
        Host: G:\Users\Media Player\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\lav\LAVSplitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Subtitle'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Subtitle Renderer'
            Major type Unknown GUID Name: {E487EB08-6B26-4BE9-9DD3-993434D313FD}  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {04EBA53E-9330-436C-9133-553EC87031DC}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {04EBA53E-9330-436C-9133-553EC87031DC}

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 07:37:07 am »

Well I'll be.... It will take either Nevcairiel or Matt to explain why the Video Decoder is not being reported as there is absolutely no way a MPEG2 stream can go from the splitter to madVR without a Video Decoder between the two (and the JR Video Monitor is not a decoder, just a monitor).  I have no idea why either the screen shot or the filter info is not displaying the use of a video decoder (such as LAV Video) but it surely is.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 07:39:58 am »

Well - there is one way, have you enabled Video Decoding in madVR by any chance?

Edit if you do then the Video Decodning and the Video Rendering is bundled together in the one madVR instance you are seeing
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 07:43:12 am »

eg... this will enable madVR's use of SW decoding and remove LAV Video from the filter chain.
JRiver CEO Elect

Jong

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 08:49:54 am »

Well I'll be.... It will take either Nevcairiel or Matt to explain why the Video Decoder is not being reported as there is absolutely no way a MPEG2 stream can go from the splitter to madVR without a Video Decoder between the two (and the JR Video Monitor is not a decoder, just a monitor).  I have no idea why either the screen shot or the filter info is not displaying the use of a video decoder (such as LAV Video) but it surely is.
It's a blu-ray .iso. but yes, I agree!
Well - there is one way, have you enabled Video Decoding in madVR by any chance?

Edit if you do then the Video Decodning and the Video Rendering is bundled together in the one madVR instance you are seeing
Actually it is enabled, but I didnt do it! I wondered about that myself. That whole tab wasn't there (I think) the last time I was testing MadVR (maybe a year ago). Does Madshi really bundle a decoder with the renderer now. I'm surprised  ?

Jong

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 11:25:00 am »

Ok. I see MadVR does now have some included decoder, but surely Red October in non-custom mode should not be using it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 04:01:39 pm »

madVR is one of the elements where you can play with the settings (mostly it is so you can play with various scaling options).  Just uncheck the decoding options and you should see LAV Video reappear.
JRiver CEO Elect

Jong

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:59 pm »

It's a small point, but I think it is odd that if I manually specify LAV using custom mode it overrides the decoder setting in MadVR, but if someone uses the "idiot proof" Red October mode this setting overrides what should be happening. Red October should be more strict (or at least equally) in enforcing filter merit, not less, IMO.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 04:18:49 pm »

Is it working now?
JRiver CEO Elect

Jong

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 04:25:16 pm »

Watching England lose the Euro 2012 semi at the moment! I am sure it will though.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 04:26:24 pm »

Lost you mean!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up