INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get music to stop playing when in Theater mode?  (Read 5316 times)

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
How do I get music to stop playing when in Theater mode?
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:27:02 pm »

Whenever I press the stop button while I'm playing music in Theater mode, Media Center doesn't stop playing music but simply skips to the next track. Because of this, I've been using the pause button to stop music playback. Oddly, though, if I go to watch a TV show, as soon as the episode finishes the music resumes where it left off. So basically, every time I finish a TV episode, I'm greeted with blaring music. How can I stop this from happening?

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I get music to stop playing when in Theater mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 03:37:01 am »

Is this just happening with music?  I suspect that MC is seeing the Stop IR as Next.  Try using CTRL S on the keyboard and see if that stops the music.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:19:55 pm »

Is this just happening with music?  I suspect that MC is seeing the Stop IR as Next.  Try using CTRL S on the keyboard and see if that stops the music.

Nick.

Thanks. Looks like the wrong IR code was programmed into my Logitech Harmony. Fixed!

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:23:12 pm »

Thanks. Looks like the wrong IR code was programmed into my Logitech Harmony. Fixed!

I was wrong, this didn't fix the problem. What I've found out is pretty weird. Basically, if I use my remote control to find a song and play it, the stop button and ctrl+S work as expected. However, if I instead use Gizmo or WebGizmo to start playing a song, and then try to use ctrl+S or the stop button on my remote to stop playing the song, they no longer work correctly. Media Center immediately jumps to the next song. The only way to stop the song appropriately is to use the stop button on WebGizmo/Gizmo, and the only way to get the stop button on my remote and ctrl+S to start working correctly again is to restart Media Center. Once I start a song with WebGizmo/Gizmo again, the stop button on my remote and ctrl+S break.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Re: How do I get music to stop playing when in Theater mode?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:18:41 am »

By the way, I can confirm that this happens on all of my machines running 17.0.173.

KoolADE

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:28:36 pm »

This happens to me as well. If I use WebGizmo to play a list of songs to another computer, then go to that computer and press Ctrl+S to stop, it doesn't actually stop. It just skips to the next song.

I thought it was just because of some special use case that didn't fit me, but maybe it's a bug.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:32:14 pm »

This happens to me as well. If I use WebGizmo to play a list of songs to another computer, then go to that computer and press Ctrl+S to stop, it doesn't actually stop. It just skips to the next song.

In that case, you started a controller that's sending files with DLNA to Media Center.

The controller is going to keep sending play commands until you stop on the controller, not the receiving machine.

Does that make sense?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:46 pm »

However, if I instead use Gizmo or WebGizmo to start playing a song, and then try to use ctrl+S or the stop button on my remote to stop playing the song, they no longer work correctly. Media Center immediately jumps to the next song. The only way to stop the song appropriately is to use the stop button on WebGizmo/Gizmo, and the only way to get the stop button on my remote and ctrl+S to start working correctly again is to restart Media Center. Once I start a song with WebGizmo/Gizmo again, the stop button on my remote and ctrl+S break.

I've seen this before too a long time ago, when WebGizmo was first available.  Long-long-long standing problem.

I'm pretty sure I even reported it as a bug in the initial build threads.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

KoolADE

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 03:24:58 pm »

Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes technical sense. I can see why it's behaving that way.
It doesn't make logical sense, because pressing Stop does the same thing as pressing "Next".

As an "experience", using WebGizmo as a remote doesn't flow since I can't switch seamlessly from one device to another.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:38:22 pm »

Yes, it makes technical sense. I can see why it's behaving that way.
It doesn't make logical sense, because pressing Stop does the same thing as pressing "Next".

As an "experience", using WebGizmo as a remote doesn't flow since I can't switch seamlessly from one device to another.

I too am not very interested in the technical reason (although I appreciate it!). From a usability standpoint, it's a weird and frustrating issue, and it basically makes using WebGizmo as a remote useless for me. I'm hoping this will be changed soon!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 03:50:15 pm »

If I understand correctly, you're

a.  Starting playback to a DLNA Renderer by using a DLNA Controller.

and then

b.  Trying to take over control of the DLNA Renderer by using an ordinary remote.

As pointed out above, that won't work.  You need to choose one method of controlling playback or the other.  The two are competing.  You stop playback with the remote, but the DLNA Renderer continues to listen to what the DLNA Controller is telling it.

NickF

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »

In this case, the DLNA Renderer is MC and the DLNA Controller is WebGizmo.  From a user perspective, the player is MC and the remote control is WebGizmo.  If I pick up two different remote controls which can control the same player and press play on one, i expect the player to play.  If i press stop on the other I expect the player to stop.

The underlying technology is irrelevant to the user.  I think this needs to be addressed.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 04:06:50 pm »

That's a little like saying "My wife and I have two identical remotes, but when she starts playback, I can't get it to stop."

NickF

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »

That's a little like saying "My wife and I have two identical remotes, but when she starts playback, I can't get it to stop."

When my wife starts to play, I wouldn't dare try to stop!

Nick.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 05:02:50 pm »

The underlying technology is irrelevant to the user.  I think this needs to be addressed.

Nick.

In my house I have multiple users, at least a half dozen possible Gizmo clients, control via Eventghost both locally and from other PCs.  I have two zones: 1 piping music throughout the house and one that is local to the HTPC for video (and possibly music).   I agree with Nick - there should be consistency regardless of how or which hits "next" (or stop or pause, etc) I would expect my player to do the same thing.  My music zone starts automatically and plays music all the time allowing any one of multiple "speaker sets" to turn on and listen to what is playing "whole house".  Person 1 will often have no idea how the music was initially started in my case and may use Gizmo, JRiver or a keyboard media key from a remote PC (via Eventghost) to control the media play.

NickF

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »

If I use WebGizmo to play some music then turn on my projector to watch a movie, I find that MC isn't showing the playing music.  I can't stop it by clicking on the Stop button and if I attempt to play something else, I get some garbled combination of the two.

Edit: I have now found that the reason is that when you select a Zone with WebGizmo, the active Zone is not shown in the MC client.  I have multiple Zones on the same PC, enabling different audio settings for music and movies, for example.  If the movies zone had been active and I select Music on WebGizmo and play some music, this doesn't show in the client because it is still controlling Movies, hence the controls won't affect the music.  If I switch the client to Music, the controls will now affect the music.

Nick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up