INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a status bar/task window in MC17?  (Read 1427 times)

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
Is there a status bar/task window in MC17?
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:38:42 pm »

Hello!

I'm trying out MC17 right now as I've built a dedicated file/media server and am looking for the best way to play my music and videos, but, and that's a rather big 'but' for me, I couldn't find a way to check whether or not my media was being converted or, more basic, if a device has connected to Media Server. Am I blind or is there really no status bar, task window, log file or whatever that can tell me what's going on in the background? Thanks for your answer in advance!

Regards, JK

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is there a status bar/task window in MC17?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:42:16 pm »

Welcome to the forum.   In the tree on the left, open Services, then Media Network (on the server).

Conversion is set on the client side.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »

To reduce the amount of content that you see in the Media Network screen select the appropriate server from the Server drop down menu.
The "Device discovery server (SSDP)" shows a lot of information that I personally find useless and it clutters the window.
Sean

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:29 pm »

Hi Jim!

Thanks for your quick replies! I just checked the Activity log but couldn't really find an answer to the reason I wanted to see the log in the first place, which was the way that Gizmo streams music (or media, in general). I was curious what "Preparing" meant, whether it was buffering, converting or any other kind of processing.

But from what I could see it seems to me that Gizmo actually does convert my FLACs to some compressed form of audio as it's only transferring 3MB when the file should be 24MBs in size. Am I right? DK DLNA player accepted uncompressed conversion as well, but I couldn't get that to work with Gizmo.

I would also be interested in whether or where MC17 stores its cache files as the directory set in the preferences seems to be empty. Thanks for your amazing explanations, I'm really beginning to like this program!

Regards, JK

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 02:49:17 pm »

I'm also wondering why music needs to be "prepared" when videos can be streamed instantly. Is there a way to skip the preparing process for music as well?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »

I am not 100% sure but from my experience "Preparing" means converting.
Unfortunately at this time we don't have any control over the conversion process when the client is using one of the Web services (Gizmo, WebGizmo, etc).
I am not sure why videos play quicker than audio for you I don't see similar behavior.
You might consider having a lower quality duplicate version of your music and use stacks (space permitting), this allows for streaming without conversion with audio.
Sean

-JK-

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »

Oh, I thought that's what the 'Client options (when connecting to a Library server)' are for! Is there another way to connect to the MC17 Library server directly (except with another instance of MC17 :-))?
Pages: [1]   Go Up