INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Fade Out static Text in Theater View  (Read 2180 times)

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Feature Request: Fade Out static Text in Theater View
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:35:30 am »

Hi, I mentioned this previously on the forum when I was back trialing v16 and Matt commented that it could be a nice feature for a future release.
My main display is a 50" Plasma and as such is susceptible to image retention especially from white text, it's easily removed with the screens built in tools but its a bit of a pain to have to do it to be honest.
Would it be possible to have a mode available where the navigation menu and track information fade away after a set time when playing audio, and then just pop up the info briefly on track change much like the album art does.
I currently use a visualisation to prevent image retention from the white text but I don't always want to see a visualisation playing away and the background image rotation would be a very nice alternative.

cheers
Marty

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: Fade Out static Text in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:29:18 am »

have a plasma....+1

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:10 pm »

+2

This is a common request for theater view.

I think at an absolute minimum, all text should fade out whilst in Playing Now. When we have parties, PN can be on screen for hours at a time.

Also, I think it would look a lot better without text (or roller menus) thanks to the online sideshow and fade-out cover art.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:51 pm »

+3

Notice in Cover View the controls are "silent" eg hidden until you move the mouse.  It would be great (and consistent) if theater view hid them after 15 seconds or so of no mouse activity.  I seldom use the controls so I don't find them useful to be displayed hour after hour.  My TV is an LCD so maybe there isn't the same concern about screen burn in.... but I would rather not have the controls around anyway.  

FastKayak / Larry

rowens

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »

+3

Notice in Cover View the controls are "silent" eg hidden until you move the mouse.  It would be great (and consistent) if theater view hide them after 15 seconds or so of no mouse activity.  I seldom use the controls so I don't find them useful to be displayed hour after hour.  My TV is an LCD so maybe there isn't the same concern about screen burn in.... but I would rather not have the controls around anyway. 

FastKayak / Larry

+4

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:54:41 am »

+1

Got a plasma my self, and I'm always afraid of having theater view open on the same page to long. Text fade out on at least Playing now would be nice. I do not think that anyone else would mind either. Who needs to see the roller text in Playing Now after staying there for a minute or two?

Ideally such options would be good to add to the scripting engine, so we can change the values and fade out several items as wanted over time.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:34:33 am »

Ideally such options would be good to add to the scripting engine, so we can change the values and fade out several items as wanted over time.

This would be ideal  8)

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:50:38 am »

Great request. 

Now can we get some feedback from the Devs. if this is possible or not?

daveshear

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:40:05 pm »

I just downloaded JRiver and set it up. I came to the forums to look for the way to have the text fade in Theater View. I'm very concerned about leaving the HDTV on with the potential of it burning into the screen. Has anyone got a return comment from JRiver?

09/22/12 Did version 18 address this? I could not find anything in the options area.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 03:25:07 pm »

I asked for this exact thing once before (MC16 I think) and got a similar level of support.

+1
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 03:37:10 pm »

I've never been at all careful about this issue and I've owned plasmas since they first came out, then LCD's later.  I've never seen or heard of a problem.  I know it was an issue early on, but has anyone had a problem in recent times?

I suppose you could use the screensaver if you wanted to.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 03:37:16 pm »

This idea is on our list of good intentions.

So please feel free to bump this once a month until it's done.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »

I've never been at all careful about this issue and I've owned plasmas since they first came out, then LCD's later.  I've never seen or heard of a problem.  I know it was an issue early on, but has anyone had a problem in recent times?

Image Retention on modern Plasmas isn't permanent, but I've already had issues with mine after using Theater View for a night without having the screen saver enabled.  Theater View was closed, but you could still see the UI on the screen, even when the set was turned off.

It lasted two days.  Can't say that's not annoying.

Using a Screen Saver set to blank certainly prevents the issue (and that's what I do now), but it is annoying in other ways.  Theater View has the option to disable the Screen Saver while in use (defaults on).  This is useful because it also keeps my display from sleeping.  Since I'm using HDMI out, when the display goes to sleep, it cuts out the audio too (and makes MC good and angry as well).

But I can't leave that option enabled, or else I get Image Retention.  So, I must disable it, but this means that if I'm not paying attention and I'm playing music in the background at a gathering, the display will eventually go to sleep and the music stops and MC gets all angry and must be restarted.  The only other option is to disable the sleep entirely, but I don't want to do that because I do want the display to sleep when not in use at the Windows desktop.

There is no good solution.

This idea is on our list of good intentions.

So please feel free to bump this once a month until it's done.

Thanks!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 04:30:51 pm »

I've never been at all careful about this issue and I've owned plasmas since they first came out, then LCD's later.  I've never seen or heard of a problem.  I know it was an issue early on, but has anyone had a problem in recent times?

It's not as much of a problem as it used to be with early plasmas, mainly due to the fact most screens have built in tools to prevent image retention, but even the most modern plasmas suffer this fate after lengthy periods of the same image on the screen, especially white text. Yes we can use the panels built-in tools to remove the 'stain' but its a bit of a nuisance to have to to be honest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up