INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intel lowers SSD prices  (Read 2185 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Intel lowers SSD prices
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:07 pm »

I have the Intel SSD 520. Fast and reliable.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:13:46 am »

I have the Intel SSD 520. Fast and reliable.

Dangerous words ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:52:15 am »

They had to.  Their official prices were way out of whack with both competitors and with the actual retail price of their own drives (they "lowered" them to a MSRP still higher than what was the current price on Newegg).

Still, with the MSRP even lower, perhaps the retail prices of the drives will fall further, and be less of a price premium over the other (nearly identical) Sandforce drives on the market.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:31:52 am »

I don't know if this affected the price, but I just (1 minute ago) bought 2 Crucial 128GB SSD drives for $89.99 each. They are still $115 at newegg.

The two 80Gb Intel SSD drives in my HTPC are full. One is for the OS/programs and the other is for my music. I may keep one of the older SSD drives in the HTPC, but the other I'll swap into my laptop. The laptop hard drive will go into an external 2.5" case I have that came with the original SSD drives as part of a kit. I'll then use the external drive as backup for my music.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:35:21 am »

If you happen to have a z68 or newer Intel motherboard, one of those 80's would work great as a SmartResponse cache drive.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 02:30:21 pm »

They had to.  Their official prices were way out of whack with both competitors and with the actual retail price of their own drives (they "lowered" them to a MSRP still higher than what was the current price on Newegg).

Still, with the MSRP even lower, perhaps the retail prices of the drives will fall further, and be less of a price premium over the other (nearly identical) Sandforce drives on the market.

Intel's price adjustment is not supposed to take affect to August, so I was needing a new SSD.  I went with a Corsair with the Sandforce controller.  The speed is the same as Intel, but warranty is only 3 years.
Warranties are rather useless though, once you had to replace lot of equipment.  All warranties don't protect against an act of god (lightning). Home Owner's insurance works, but just be prepared for a long battle with
the insurance companies refusing to pay for your valuable electronics. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up