INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intel HD 4000 and RO HQ - advice please  (Read 2924 times)

TorqW

• World Citizen
Intel HD 4000 and RO HQ - advice please
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:42:06 am »

Hi,

I've got RO HQ working flawlessly for both DVDs and 1080p files through a Radeon 6800 card on one PC with no tweaks.

However, I've freshly installed an HTPC and using the onboard Intel HD 4000 graphics.
The problem I have is that Red October (Standard) works fine for DVDs and 1080p.
However, when I switch to Red October HQ, DVDs work fine (look amazing) BUT 1080p just shows a blank screen (with sound).
I can left-click and see the options (it shows MadVR under filters) but then j river hangs with looping sound.

I'm using an i7 with an Asus P8H61-I motherboard. 8GB of DDR1600 RAM.

I haven't OC'd or tweaked anything at all (should I use the graphics boost feature of the motherboard?).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to change any j river settings at all?

thanks in advance for any help.

TW

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Intel HD 4000 and RO HQ - advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 08:10:41 am »

Are your drivers up-to-date?

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:58:35 am »

I have made some tests with a i7-3770S on a mini-itx z77 Asrock with 8GB @ 1600 and it worked as well but not 100%. Using madVR (RedoctoberHQ) gave me some dropped frames here and there depending on the movie but no blank screens. The HD4000 is up to the job but I guess there is no headroom left. I don't know if there's a major performance hit between H61 and Z77 chipset. I have returned to a discrete solution using AMD 6750 for now.
Don't know if you have seen this interesting report : http://www.anandtech.com/show/5773/intels-ivy-bridge-an-htpc-perspective/6

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:58 pm »

I recently rebuilt my HTPC and installed an ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M LGA motherboard and IvyBridge i5k with the HD4000 GPU, and it's working great with ROHQ.

I suspect there is some issue with the intel GPU and the ATI GPU in the same machine that is confusing something.

I think you need to setup something in the intel drivers to get it to use the IVB GPU instead of the ATI one.  Maybe it needs to be configured in LAV filters (which you cannot do with the standard ROHQ setup).  Maybe it's easy to just remove the ATI card for testing?

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know it should work, so don't give up.

I have the QuickSync Win7_64_15.26.8.64.2696 driver installed, in case that helps.
pretend this is something funny

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:57:40 pm »

Thanks for the info. Going to reinstall win 7 and try again.

I should have been clear - there is no other graphics card other than the hd 4000 so it should be simple.

When you mention the Quick sync drivers, I assume these are the standard drivers available on the intel download site?

Did you have to make any tweaks to get this to work - such as enabling the ASAP graphics boost function?

Thanks agin.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:11:37 pm »

yes, the drivers from intel, NOT from windows update.

Here

I don't think I did anything special to get it working, other than some tweaks related to overscan, due to my using a DLP TV.  more details of my install/experience are here...

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:39:02 pm »

Ah - I was using the later divers.
Did u find it necessary to install the via hd codecs that came with the board? Is it necessary to install them if you're only using hdmi out?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 08:00:50 pm »

Yeah, I think the later driver had an issue, probably what you experienced :(

I don't recall installing any HD/video drivers for the board, and I am using HDMI out.

Wife has the TV now, so I can't check for you.

I'm 95% sure the only video related drivers I installed were the Intel driver.

Hopefully you haven't reinstalled windows 7 yet and the driver works for you.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:42 am »

Justin - thanks again for your thoughts.

After reinstalling windows and J River, I still had the same issue.
Turns out the trick was ticking the "Enable Automatic Display Settings changing" option.
I then watched a 720p mkv which worked (it seemed to download some component) and then tried 1080p and hey presto: it worked.

J River is a superb piece of software.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:14:08 pm »

Good to hear.  Is that with the latest Intel driver?  Others have reported it works fine for them.  I guess I'll upgrade tonight and test it myself.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 07:45:06 am »

No - I used the one you mentioned (2696).

Which are the latest drivers?
When I looked at the intel page, it only seemed to show Win8 drivers - are they compatible?

Thanks again Justin - you've been a huge help.

T

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 08:14:46 am »

You're welcome!

The latest is QuickSync Win7_64_15.26.12.64.2761, which is a Windows 7 driver.  A few other people have mentioned that it works fine for them, so I'm planning to install it this weekend.  I'm not sure what 'features or benefits' it offers, but the author of LAV filters is using it, and I certainly trust his judgement on these things!

The link I included a few posts up takes you to the Intel page where you just pick your windows software, and Windows 7 only has 4 choices, 2 for each driver, one Zip and one exe file for each.  I download the exe and just install it.

Let us know you have any issues, otherwise, ENJOY! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up