INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: video playback from portable install (USB drive) is very slow/unusable  (Read 7090 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

I've got 17.0.180 installed on a thumb drive, and playing even SD video is unusable.  It starts playing fine, and the audio is fine, but the video barely moves.  After about 10 seconds of playback, the video has only moved a couple dozen frames.  It's not skipping frames, so the video kinda matches the audio, it's just really slow and way behind the audio from the beginning.

I've tried with RO and ROHQ, with hardware acceleration on and off, video clock on and off, etc.

It's simply unusable.  Is there some magic setting I'm missing, or is this a bug?

The drive was installed on a machine with plenty fast hardware.

I first noticed it a few months ago, but it was while running on a very low powered machine, so I chalked it up to that.  I don't use the thumb drive very often, so I haven't tried since, until this morning.
pretend this is something funny

Lasse_Lus

i use portable and i have not encountered your problem, can the disk be slow ?
also..you can test first in VLC and see how the video is played http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
there are portable installs around.

you can try http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html to check the speed
MT5FR

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

No, I've used this thumb drive for years and it's (almost) always worked just fine.  In fact, I put it in my (very low powered) office machine a little while ago, and the video played fine, but when I detached the display, the symptoms returned.  I reattached the display, and it played fine again, detached again, VERY slow video; reattached, fine again.

At home I never detached the display, it was always slow.  I stopped and started several times, and tried with several videos, and all had the same behavior.

I'm happy to provide any other pertinent information to help track this down, but I really need to get this working.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

Just a couple of things that in my mind may cause problems.
Are the videos local or remote?
What is the file location for cache?
Sean

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

All video files are on the thumb drive itself.  They are the only files in the library.  There are about 8-10 video files in total.  It's an 8GB drive, with about 1/2 of that space free/available.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Have you tried calculating the read speed of the file and comparing it to the spec for the drive?  The drive may not be fast enough.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

No, but like I said earlier, when I played it at work, it played fine, until I detached the display, then it slowed down.  Then played fine again when I reattached the window.

I've used this drive for almost 2 years, and never had this issue until a couple of months ago, then again today.

The drive is plenty fast enough to play 1080 HD content fine, and has done so on many occasions.

The file in question is SD content.  I've got RO standard selected, so it's not madVR upscaling that's choking it.

I know it seems wrong, or "user error" but I'm at a loss to figure it out.  Will a log file help?

F:/MC/media center.exe playing from F:/video/the file

Lasse_Lus

Justin, have you tried playing the file from a local disk using the portable install ?
MT5FR

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

I would consider the thumb drive which is running the program pretty local; but no, I've not tried from a drive on the computer in which the drive is connected.

I can't really, since I cannot load my video onto my hard drive at work.  I put it on the thumb drive so I can watch it at work without putting anything on the work machine.

I can try it as a test, but it wouldn't resolve my issue even if it worked.

Lasse_Lus

understand, but also try VLC portable with the "thumb file" when you can http://downloads.sourceforge.net/portableapps/VLCPortable_2.0.2.paf.exe?download
MT5FR

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team

I'm not sure what this will help with/resolve.  If the file plays fine with that player, then what?

I know the file plays fine from the main library; so the file is fine.

I know the file can play fine from the thumb drive, so it 'can' work properly.

I know the thumb drive can play files fine, so it's not an issue with the thumb drive.

It's just not playing fine in this instance, which is strange, and seemingly isolated.

I guess no one else has the issue, and it doesn't seem like JRiver is terribly interested in getting it working, so I will just live with it :(

Lasse_Lus

I'm not sure what this will help with/resolve.

nothing, but just to make sure.

Does a "normal" installation on the same machine behave differently ?
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up