INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i3 3225 w/HD 4000 & Windows 8 in new build?  (Read 15328 times)

PatrickC

• Recent member
i3 3225 w/HD 4000 & Windows 8 in new build?
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:11 pm »

I recently installed MC17 on an older HTPC. Now I'm considering replacing it with an HPTC built by Assassin and they will install MC. Would you wait for either or both of an Intel i3 3225 w/HD 4000 processor and Windows 8? Don't know the status of that processor and madVR HD or if that will even be important to me.
Guidance welcome. Oh and I wonder what my status is with MC and Assassin and my MC17?

Patrick
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: i3 3225 w/HD 4000 & Windows 8 in new build?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:21:15 pm »

Your license will work with the new installation.

New Ivy bridge chips are great.  Win8 is a stretch at this point.  MC will work but you will have a few more problems.

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:21:33 pm »

I recommend that you build your own HTPC, it is rather easy to do. Is your goal a quiet pc?   Then you might look at the components of this fanless music server on http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=hfx_classic_fanless_pc.html  The only problem with getting some of the componets to make this a silent pc, in the 0 db level.  Well, some of the components will have to come from Hfx Case manufacture which is in Austria.  I recommend at least Intel i5, but I would go with a fanless video card.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102980   If you can want a little noise, then go with another video card.

This motherboard has Thunderbolt and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131853  I highly recommed that you build a htpc with thunderbolt, because the manufacturers are developing displays, drives, audio products, etc with Thunderbolt.  The motherboard above has 2 Pci slots, and most of the motherboards only have 1 now. You will need a sound card, so you might try the [url]http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_ST/  [url]  If you need the multichannel solution, then H6 card is on ebay.  Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 H6 Extension Card. 

It is easy to build a pc, but just buy a wrist static strap for $6.   Also, some of your local computer stores can do custom builds for about $80 labor. 

Jeff

Jong

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:12:02 am »

I recommend at least Intel i5, but I would go with a fanless video card.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102980   If you can want a little noise, then go with another video card.

This motherboard has Thunderbolt and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131853  I highly recommed that you build a htpc with thunderbolt, because the manufacturers are developing displays, drives, audio products, etc with Thunderbolt.
Agree with i5 and, although many are just using integrated Ivy Bridge video for HTPCs, I love my silent Sapphire 7750 Ultimate. It runs so cool and guarantees I have enough horsepower for any decoding and Red October goodness I will need.

Totally disagree on Thunderbolt though for so many reasons:

- currently hardly any device support
- current motherboards with Thunderbolt are criminally expensive. You could get a good Z77 motherboard for half the price of the one you quote: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128543
- speed is not needed, even for SSD, unless you have multiple devices daisy chained
- 1st gen Thunderbolt is not even that quick - only twice the speed of USB 3.0. Future Thunderbolt (2014?) will offer double or higher speeds

Makes far more sense right now to wait until there is a device that you really need to connect using Thunderbolt and buy what, by then, will be a much much cheaper, possibly faster and all round better, PCI card.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »

I just (re)built my HTPC and installed an i5k with the HD4000, and it has played all of my media without issue so far.  No dedicated video card installed/wanted/needed here.  Saves money by not buying the Graphics card, and not having to power the card, and no more nVidia driver issues!

I wouldn't wait for the i3 with HD4000, since I'm not even sure how long before you could get one.

As for Win8, I have NO plans to upgrade to that ever.  That could change, but I suspect it will be a bit like Vista, never quite right, and the next version will be a lot more solid, which is when I'm planning to upgrade, if ever.  Windows 7 works great for my current HTPC needs.

I also agree that you should consider building your own computer, but certainly understand that it's intimidating for many people, and if you do manage to break something (hard to do), it kills any money you would have saved.
pretend this is something funny

PatrickC

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:03:31 pm »

OK then, Windows 8 is no longer in the picture. Just thought I would test the waters. So for a few bucks more for the i5 3570k w/HD 4000 graphics I'll have a little more processing power and I don't have to wait. Check: on those two.
As for the machine itself, I've built and purchased some in the past. This will be #4. I'm much better with hardware than I am with software and tweaking. Assassin HTPC will do a lot of handholding if you want to do it yourself with guidance. In my case the turnkey HTPC with my specs is tempting as my time is about to be tied up with a new boat. But then my home theater and whole house audio are waiting impatiently.

Years ago I bought a state of the art HTPC. That doesn't seem to be necessary anymore. What Justin has seems to be ideal. I have no interest in Thunderbolt although one went for a ton of money recently on Barette/Jackson auctions.
Patrick
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

PatrickC

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:13:27 am »

On a personal note, I'm contemplating the intent of this planned HTPC. My first HTPC was my only computer at the time. It could literally do everything except burn my toast.
Now I'm thinking that I only need and want a computer (I have several others) that will thoroughly support MC17. Of course that also means being connected to my 75 meg internet connection. In fact I think I'm going to look at existing peripherals.
Oppo BDP83
WDTV Live Streaming
Logitech Squeezebox Touch
Small external HD
Vortexbox Appliance NAS

I think I've already added "scope creep" to my thinking about the HTPC usage.
1. I'm at the beginng stages of wired whole house audio.
2. I recently added two Meridian speakers for 2 channel only that are not part of the 5.1 system (same room).
I would like to deal with both of those issues within MC17.

Sorry, I guess I'm kind of exited about my new direction and got a little winded.
Patrick

Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up