INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I change default name of cover art files?  (Read 1918 times)

tony22

• Recent member
How do I change default name of cover art files?
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »

I have my music drive set up so that the cover art JPG file resides in the same directory as the location of each album's worth of FLAC files. I'd like to set up MC17 so that it recognizes these files, which are named cover.jpg (not folder.jpg) and doesn't move them or copy them anywhere else. Just want MC17 to know where they are but to leave them as is.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How do I change default name of cover art files?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:31 pm »

If it's the only image in the album folder, MC should find it automatically on import.

If it doesn't, just pick your audio files, right-click, and pick Cover Art > Quick Find in File / Cover Art Directory...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:54:02 pm »

If it's the only image in the album folder, MC should find it automatically on import.

Thanks Matt. What's weird is that it seems to have automatically found only a very few cover.jpg files. Most of my albums in the main pane have that blank, blue line square where the image should be. There is only one covert.jpg file in each album folder, and no other image files. I was wondering if there needed to be some configuration change to tell it what the default name is for the art.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 08:56:22 pm »

And what happens if you run the quick find of cover art manually?

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »

And what happens if you run the quick find of cover art manually?

Will that simply attempt to find the files and leave them where they are, or will it move them to the /user/.../coverart directory?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »

It just finds artwork.

It might also save it to the tag depending on your setting for Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag.  I'm not sure on that.

As an aside, you might consider embedding your artwork in the tags.  It removes any hassle of side-car files.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:26 pm »

It just finds artwork.

It might also save it to the tag depending on your setting for Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag.  I'm not sure on that.

As an aside, you might consider embedding your artwork in the tags.  It removes any hassle of side-car files.

I had that Option unset (Also store image in file's tag), but it still did it. I'm a little upset at that. I did not want MC17 to make assumptions about what I wanted it to do, and went out of my way to unset that option. I was not happy about the outcome. Yes, there may be merits to embedding the cover art in each FLAC file, but that's not how I set up my music drive. And now JRiver decided to do it even when I asked it not to. Not happy about that at all.

And it still didn't find all the cover art!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 10:03:47 pm »

I had that Option unset (Also store image in file's tag), but it still did it. I'm a little upset at that. I did not want MC17 to make assumptions about what I wanted it to do, and went out of my way to unset that option. I was not happy about the outcome. Yes, there may be merits to embedding the cover art in each FLAC file, but that's not how I set up my music drive. And now JRiver decided to do it even when I asked it not to. Not happy about that at all.

I can't reproduce this.  The program does not embed images with the option off.

This has not been reported as a bug by others, so I wonder if you might have some issue in how you're testing?

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 06:45:25 am »

Would a program restart have been necessary in order for that unset to have taken effect? I unset it during the same session (but before) I did the cover art find.

Let me also apologize for yesterday's panic. It was late (for me) and I wasn't expecting that to happen. I know logically all the program did was embed cover art, but illogically I was left with the question in my head if the program did anything that would affect the quality of my FLAC files. Unsettling to say the least.

As I said in another post, I'm new here but not to computer served audio. My opinion may not mean much, but I think I would prefer any media server program to treat the media source drives as read-only devices as its default behavior. Slimserver/LMS has always done this, even Windows Media Player does this. I should have to enable an option if I want anything on my source drives touched.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:44:24 am »

Would a program restart have been necessary in order for that unset to have taken effect? I unset it during the same session (but before) I did the cover art find.

You shouldn't need to restart.  Maybe the file already had cover art for some reason?

Let me also apologize for yesterday's panic. It was late (for me) and I wasn't expecting that to happen. I know logically all the program did was embed cover art, but illogically I was left with the question in my head if the program did anything that would affect the quality of my FLAC files. Unsettling to say the least.

I understand taking your data seriously.  I hope you'll trust that we do as well -- our reputation depends on it.

As I said in another post, I'm new here but not to computer served audio. My opinion may not mean much, but I think I would prefer any media server program to treat the media source drives as read-only devices as its default behavior. Slimserver/LMS has always done this, even Windows Media Player does this. I should have to enable an option if I want anything on my source drives touched.

We agree.  Currently auto-import will get cover art for files without artwork.  This is optional, but can cause a file tag to be written with artwork.

We have changed this for v18 (in early development now), so that the program may get artwork to our own cover art folder, but not make tag changes (unless you explicitly opt-in with the auto-import settings).

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »

I understand taking your data seriously.  I hope you'll trust that we do as well -- our reputation depends on it.

Umm, I'm not sure but I think something happened. I did a test with some of the files which had the album art embedded by MC17. I had already had WAV copies of a number of tracks when I made my tests CDs which I use at audio shows. I copied these FLACs again and converted them to WAV like I did before. In a number of cases the file sizes of the newly converted WAV files do not match the original conversions.

To say I'm a little worried is an understatement.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 08:24:48 pm »

A file size might be different because of a tag.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:50:49 pm »

A file size might be different because of a tag.

But if the conversion is to WAV the embedded cover art should be stripped out, yes? If so, then you'd expect the converted size to match the previous conversion (except for the recent cover art issue these files have been untouched since they were originally ripped and tagged).
Pages: [1]   Go Up