INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing MP3Gain files in MJ8  (Read 741 times)

Badger

Playing MP3Gain files in MJ8
« on: April 25, 2002, 08:27:45 am »

On playback, it seems MJ8(256) recognizes radio gain values (previously applied by MP3gain) even when the replay gain box is left unchecked in DSP.  Can someone confirm this?  I'm just trying to figure out how MJ8 treats files previously analyzed and "adjusted" with MP3gain.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
RE:Playing MP3Gain files in MJ8
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2002, 08:47:14 am »

I was under the impression that any file adjusted by MP3Gain would use that adjustment in any player, regardless of whether or not that player supports Replay Gain. So it's not suprising that MJ would be playing files in that adjusted fashion, because to MJ (And any other media player) that's just the way the file is.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, and please feel free to use more technically sound terms. I'm really tired.

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2002, 09:19:05 am »

Ok...

MP3Gain uses Replay Gain algorithms to anaylize MP3 files for there 'overall sound level'.  If you use MP3Gain to update the MP3 files based on that analysis, it physically modifies each MP3 frame's gain value (in increments of 1.5db plus or minus).  So, your resultant MP3 file is modified and, thus, anybody software plays the file will 'see' the gained file.  This is like the sound adjustments you can do with mp3Trim.

This process is different than how MJ implements Replay Gain.  MJ does not modify each MP3 frame's gain value, but rather stores the Replay Gain 'overall sound level' in a ID3v2 Tag in the MP3 file.  With this value saved, MJ can adjust the sound level during playback (on-the-fly).

Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 09:32:15 am »

thanks.  This is what I assumed.  So MJ8's replay gain analysis will make its adjustments "on top of" (for lack of a better way of saying it) any previous gain modifications.  This will work....I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up