INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foolproof method of moving files  (Read 1285 times)

JimB

• Recent member
Foolproof method of moving files
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:52:33 am »

I have about 600 video files in a folder structure on a drive. These files have been categorized into Media Sub Type > Genre > Album in my Media Centre library.

Space has run out on this drive and I need to move the files to another drive preserving the folder structure and the categorisation.

I have tried several methods but have so far been unsuccessful ending up with situations such as losing the directory structure or the categorisation.

Would it be possible for somebody to provide me the method by which this could be reliably done.

Thank you.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Foolproof method of moving files
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:33:51 am »

Have a look at Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move & copy file

Try the Replace function e.g. replace C: by D:

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:38:37 am »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

JimB

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:44:19 pm »

Thanks for these replies. The replace C: with D: method lost the categorisation totally. I tried it twice.

I tried some of the suggestions on the Wiki page but could not find the right combination - something always went wrong such as the files from subfolders being put into the same base folder.

However I have now discovered that the Drag and Drop method (in Drives and Devices) will work properly providing that I adjust the autoimport settings to include the new location. Maybe the other methods would have worked if I'd also adjusted the autoimport settings too. Maybe a warning to do that should be added to the Wiki and other instructions.

If I might also comment that while the "Library Tools / Rename Move and Copy Files" dialog is obviously powerful and flexible, it is hard for a novice occasional user to understand exactly how to get the result that they might require. The Help button certainly gives some help, but did not, for me, give the level of detail that I needed. A "What Do You Want to Do?" section, with exact steps for getting just that result (such as adjusting autoimport) would have been really helpful.

Thanks again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up