INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to watch TV recordings from another MC?  (Read 1759 times)

mdx1

• World Citizen
Is it possible to watch TV recordings from another MC?
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:42:58 am »

TV recording is set up on MC1 on computer1.  But TV is connected to MC2 on computer2 (HTPC).  Both computers are on the same network and can share files from each other.

Is it possible to watch recordings from MC1 on MC2?

The MC version is 17 on both computers.

Nelson

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it possible to watch TV recordings from another MC?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:34:06 am »

TV recording is set up on MC1 on computer1.  But TV is connected to MC2 on computer2 (HTPC).  Both computers are on the same network and can share files from each other.

Is it possible to watch recordings from MC1 on MC2?

The MC version is 17 on both computers.
I'm not sure what you mean by "But TV is connected to MC2 on computer2 (HTPC)."

If you are recording TV on MC1, the recordings will be in the MC1 Library.  If you load the MC1 Library in MC2 (you will need the Access Key from MC1) then you will see the recorded shows from MC1 under Video > Types > TV Show or in Theater View.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:45:34 am »

Thank you for the reply.  I am sorry that I was not clear.  Let me explain my setup.  MC1 is on my home office computer that has more storage and CPU power.  MC2 is an old computer serving as the HTPC in the living room.  The computer2 is used primarily for music playback.  It is also used sometimes to stream videos from web content providers such as Netflix.  I just added the TV tuner to MC1 to record TV shows.

Each MC has its own storage for music stored in AIFF format for optimum music playback.  Even though both computers are connected with wired gigabit ethernet, I still do not want the network latencies to degrade the music playback quality.  So I would prefer not to stream music to MC2 from the MC1 library.  I prefer to keep music files locally on each MC computer.

If I load the MC1 library to MC2, would that cause all video and music files to be brought over from MC1 to MC2?  I would like just to use MC2 to playback TV recordings from the MC1 library without changing the MC2 music library, is that possible?
Nelson

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 02:40:32 pm »

Just run Media Server on the first machine (where the tuner is).

On the client, load the library from that machine.  It won't transfer any files.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:43:41 pm »

If you do not want to run the two computers as client-server, you can just let computer2 watch the TV recordings folder of computer1, and automatically import them in MC on computer2. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:09 pm »

If you do not want to run the two computers as client-server, you can just let computer2 watch the TV recordings folder of computer1, and automatically import them in MC on computer2. 

Yaobing,

Thank you.  Since the recording folder is already shared with my other media streamers, I just set the folder as auto-import.  It is nice to know it can auto-import the video when it is being watched.

Nelson
Pages: [1]   Go Up