INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie DLNA issues and library management issues  (Read 3872 times)

pvanosta

• Recent member
Newbie DLNA issues and library management issues
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:29:19 pm »

I just installed Media center 17.
I wanted to compare the replay quality of lossless files (ALAC, FLAC, WAV) over network (using the DLNA) against my incumbent solution (Mezzmo).

Specifically, I was looking for a better user interface when importing large directories, as well as the ability to play HD files.

I also wanted to see whether JRiver would manage to reliably play large files without stuttering or without hanging up between tracks.

So first things first: the library import and file management.
I have a large number of uncompressed files, arranged in folders (by album) and all album folders in a large directory.
When I import the directory, the structure is not respected by JRiver, but instead, it appears to try and be clever. Other folders it does not recognize at all and just dumps them into a big 'Unassigned' heap, leaving me with significant cleanup to restore the proper folder structure.

So question 1: how do I disable the 'clever' features of the library import, so I get my original folder structure as a result?

Secondly: playback issues over DLNA.
My PC and NAS drive are in another room. They connect to my Blu-Ray player (Sony BDP-S570) via wired LAN (Cat5).

On My BDP / TV Screen, I can clearly see both my old DLNA (Mezzmo) and my new one (JRiver media center).

Problem is: No playable files are found in JRiver. The folders are there, but nothing playable inside.
No such issue on Mezzmo, where my FLAC and WAV files play via LPCM at 1.4Mbps.
I have gone into audio settings and tried various otput bitrates, and none will play (L16, uncompressed, 24 bit, etc).
Any help you can provide this newbie, would be appreciated, thank you.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Newbie DLNA issues and library management issues
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:55:20 am »

As far as I know, JRiver does not meddle with the file structure.
Might it be that you have a lot of files not tagged (WAV) and are looking at them in Album View?
In Audio I have an entry called Files (don’t know if this is standard)
If you expand it, do you see the file structure?

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:49 am »

Thank you and yes.
The files in the 'unknown' pile are sometimes missing artist or album or both.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:50:43 am »

As for the DLNA issue, delete MC's generic DLNA server and add a new one using the Sony BD/TV template.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:52:08 am »

Thanks Bob. Do you have a link to a HowTo or a step-by-step on how to do this?

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:11:26 pm »

I have changed the DLNA profile to Sony BD/TV as directed.
Still no playable file.

I tried 2 types of filter (uncompressed and 24-bit).

Without cycling through every filter in this dropdown and however many other config optons I may miss or screw up, is there anything I should try first?

Bear in mind: my 'test' file still plays fine through Mezzmo.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:55:29 am »

MC by default uses tag information that is embedded into the files in order to organise the browsing sructure via DLNA.

If vital tags that are used in the browsing structure are missing in your files then this is why you are seeing "Unassigned" all over the place.

MC provides a default browsing structure - it seems that this is not suitable for your particular files.  So you need to change it. You will need to go into Customise DLNA Views. There you will see what the defaults are and what tags they use and you can therefore confirm that these tags are ot present in your files. You can edit, add, delete categories and menus as you like. You can either delete everything that Mc provides by default or you can kleave them there for reference and just add your own items.

When you add a category to the browsing structure, you can specify whether it is a tag, an expression, or a folder.  If yoiu choose the folder option then MC will create a browsing strucutre that mimics your physical disk folder structure, if you want to do it that way. It's quite limiting though because then you are restricted to browsing only by that structure.

The tag option, obviously, lets you to choose a specific embedded file tag. The expression option allows to do all sorts of celver things to manipulate things and generate values on the fly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:29:25 am »

If your files & folder structure is organised with proper names etc, you can use library tools to update the tags/database fields from file and folder names.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25:09 am »

I have changed the DLNA profile to Sony BD/TV as directed.
Still no playable file.

I tried 2 types of filter (uncompressed and 24-bit).

Without cycling through every filter in this dropdown and however many other config options I may miss or screw up, is there anything I should try first?

Bear in mind: my 'test' file still plays fine through Mezzmo.
We have exactly the same model here that we use for testing.

You need to be aware that you must access the media through the correct menu on the crossbar.
For example, if you try to access audio through the video column on the crossbar it will show no files. This is a limitation of the layout of the Sony crossbar because it conflicts with the DLNA root categories.
Also, if you have windows media sharing running on your computer, you may see more than one server in the list.
MC's server will show up like this:
computer name (dlna server profile name)

Finally, Sony DLNA devices other than the PS3 have a sort of approval system to determine what shows up for DLNA servers in the crossbar.
Go to Setup->Network Settings->Connection server settings
to see how to control which DLNA servers are enabled in your Sony BD player menus.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:20:17 am »

Thanks Bob,
I was aware of the Sony crossbar idiosyncracies and I make sure to be in the 'Music' menu.
As far as I can tell without being at my TV or PC, but based on memeory of what I saw and tried yesterday, the MC dlna server shows up correctly both in the Music vertical list on the Sony GUI as well as in the Sony network settings. It also shows the folders (album titles).
But as soon as I try to open a folder to see / play the files inside, it get the error message..

I'm guessing there is an output setting on MC on my PC that I need to select. I'll try some more of the output selections (16L etc) unless someone has another suggestion.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:31:07 am »

Thanks Bob,
I was aware of the Sony crossbar idiosyncracies and I make sure to be in the 'Music' menu.
As far as I can tell without being at my TV or PC, but based on memeory of what I saw and tried yesterday, the MC dlna server shows up correctly both in the Music vertical list on the Sony GUI as well as in the Sony network settings. It also shows the folders (album titles).
But as soon as I try to open a folder to see / play the files inside, it get the error message..

I'm guessing there is an output setting on MC on my PC that I need to select. I'll try some more of the output selections (16L etc) unless someone has another suggestion.

All DLNA devices can play L16, it's part of the spec. You might try "convert always" to L16 and under advanced, turn on stereo downmix and volume leveling (if you like). You may need to check the sample rate too if you have material with sample rates other than 44.1k and 48k.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »

Bob,
I switched to L16 and still no playable file, which, from the same hard drive location and using Mezzmo over the same LAN connection, plays fine in 16/44 LPCM (1.4 Mbps).

What am I missing?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:35:21 pm »

I'm just not seeing why this doesn't work. It's fine on my 570 with almost any profile I try.
I just created a Sony BD/TV profile,
changed the conversion to Always, Headerless L16, (advanced) Stereo Downmix checked , volume leveling checked.
Under Advanced, at least DLNA and DLNAExtra should be checked. You could try turning on file logging in Advanced, then when the 570 requests the file, watch the Media Network status display to see if it's requesting the file.

pvanosta

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 01:40:45 pm »

Thanks,
I will try that and revert :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up