INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist preset tabs... how do I remove them?  (Read 8210 times)

ksvane

• World Citizen
Playlist preset tabs... how do I remove them?
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:35:13 pm »

How do I disable the playlist preset tabs in Now Playing (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12)? They are (very) aesthetically distracting.
It's a genious feature but for those of us who are not gonna use it, it would be nice if they could be disabled so they don't show. :)

Fabricio

• Citizen of the Universe
  • No one has patience with me.
Re: Playlist preset tabs... how do I remove them?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:46:37 pm »

You can not disable (I think not)

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »

It's a genious feature but for those of us who are not gonna use it...

Just curious...Is there anything those buttons might do that would make them useful for you? Like playing your favourite playlists—with or without the ability of automatically adding more tracks? Recalling previous Playing Now lists?

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:29:27 pm »

Playing my favourite playlists might do the trick. But still, the option to disable or at least "hide" them would be nice... perhaps at the very least if they could pop up on mouse-over like you can make the windows task bar do. I don't like how they overlap the visualization area. If I'm not mistaken it's an academically proclaimed software design principle to not add non-crucial features without the ability to control their dominance... look for instance how iTunes neatly allows you to disable/hide ping, genious, iTunes DJ and what not. Please, please consider. :)

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:47:16 pm »

perhaps at the very least if they could pop up on mouse-over like you can make the windows task bar do.

That would be sweet
. . . the game is rigged

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »

perhaps at the very least if they could pop up on mouse-over like you can make the windows task bar do. I

Could three options (to choose):
1. Show
2. Hide
3. Pop up on mouse-over

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:28:46 pm »

Just curious...Is there anything those buttons might do that would make them useful for you? Like playing your favourite playlists—with or without the ability of automatically adding more tracks? Recalling previous Playing Now lists?

I moaned about these in the other thread, but no there's nothing that'll make them useful for me  ;D
I have a total of about 10 playlists, everything else is triggered from views. I neither need or want these buttons, same goes for Play Doctor itself.

IMHO it's a pity these can't be disabled, but such is life :)
Just avoid Playing Now.

-Leezer-

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:04:44 pm »

I think the issue cuts both ways. I'm indifferent about it being optional in Playing Now, but it seems a reasonable request. It probably won't be done, as it's being passed off as a feature integral to Playing Now. But it's just the same functionality that has always been in Play Doctor—the automatic adding of additional of tracks (and removal based on tracks skipped)— married to a smartlist. It might be described as, "Play this smartlist with this additional rule (i.e., what's entered in the text box), and maintain it." The rest is just a UI for presets of that instruction that's unnecessarily restrictive. As I mentioned in NEW: Car Radio, with a more straightforward and flexible design, there's no reason why the buttons could not be added (optionally) to any view.

Wherever the buttons appear, the straightforward underlying function would be easier to understand and make use of in a variety of ways if the handled in a more transparent manner. Imagine right-clicking a button reveals a 'Wizard...' command that shows a familiar 'Edit Search' dialog—that would show exactly what it does. The context menu could include a text box that behaves exactly as the current Play Doctor box. The rules produced by whatever is entered here could be shown separately in the Search dialog, recognizing they will be replaced by what's entered in the text box—if anything.

Why not offer something that's more straightforward, flexible and powerful? It's difficult to imagine how that might be done without making it obvious 'Car Radio' is just a gimmick that restricts access to features we already have, under a preset system that doesn't include the function and transparency most would expect from such a thing.

Just avoid Playing Now.

I don't disagree. I just find it more of a pity thing isn't as simple and useful as it could be. In my Panes View, I have a 'playlist group' pane that includes all my audio playlists and smartlists. That provides me much the same functionality—without having to leave my Audio view—but without the convenience of the automatic updating of Play Doctor. It's also a PITA to have to switch views to make any modifications to lists, but that's exactly what I have to do with this 'feature'. So rather than getting a system whereby we can start any playlist from anywhere with the ability to modify it on-the-fly (via a button context menu) and have the result automatically updated, we have something that only works from Playing Now, doesn't allow presets to be modified before running, doesn't allow presets to be based on existing smartlists, and requires changing to Playlists to make any changes—or just to see how a preset has been configured. Sadly, my conclusion is much the same as yours.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »

I might roll back to MC 17 then... what is JRs refund policy when doing so?

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:43 pm »

Just avoid Playing Now.

-Leezer-
That's more or less my favourite "place to be" in MC... which is why they hurt so much.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:45:21 am »

We provide a 30 day free trial so we don't provide refunds.

Hold the button down to save the current playlist and name it.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:30:37 am »

Pity.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 06:05:45 am »

Surely there's some use for them...  ;D

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 06:38:41 am »

What skin is that? :P

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 07:49:22 pm »

Just a little lateral thinking here (Dangerous, I know :o )
Would it be better if the Car Radio buttons could be turned into a toolbar? There's no reason I can see to limit them to Playing Now, and a removable toolbar would also make those of us who don't want to see them happy?

Just a suggestion.....

-Leezer-

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:30 pm »

Just avoid Playing Now.

I'm Afraid, for me, it is to avoid version 18. Playing now is what I use for 100% of my music listening. I've spent many, many hours setting it up for my needs. I just pick a zone that defines my playback settings and the playlist for that zone is all set from my smartlists.

Luckily 17 is perfect for my music playback needs. Maybe I'll check back in a few month and find this row of weird buttons has become an option and try 18 again.

Rick

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 12:34:33 am »

Would it be better if the Car Radio buttons could be turned into a toolbar?

That's pretty much what I had in mind, although I have no issue with the current appearance of the buttons. They could appear above the split in any view that has one (as they do in Playing Now) or at the top or bottom of the view—according to settings in each view's configuration. This would require some consistent means for entering a seed and accessing options. Regardless of where the 'button bar' appears, I think they would easier to understand and use if everything were available on each button's context menu. Or maybe 'popup' is a better term, as it would have to persist until dismissed—allowing for the entry or modification of the button name and seed, along with the other settings.

But this was all suggested during development and ignored, so it's not going to be considered now. There seems do be an unwavering attachment to the 'car radio' idea, even if a much simpler design would be more flexible and much easier to understand and use.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 04:24:42 am »

I'm Afraid, for me, it is to avoid version 18. Playing now is what I use for 100% of my music listening. I've spent many, many hours setting it up for my needs. I just pick a zone that defines my playback settings and the playlist for that zone is all set from my smartlists.

Luckily 17 is perfect for my music playback needs. Maybe I'll check back in a few month and find this row of weird buttons has become an option and try 18 again.

Rick
That's more or less exactly my case as well... and the way I see it, they don't even belong in "now playing" since they have nothing at all to do with what is currently playing. Right in between the cover of the currently playing track (that's what it is for me) and the playlist of playing tracks are those buttons, that are shortcuts to saved presets... a Berlin wall in the middle of a unity, if you will. Its presence is so alien and meaningless, seems the least the MC team could do is make it optional.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 04:56:49 am »

Are you planning on addressing this eventually? I'd like to know if it's worth sticking around for upcoming MC18 updates.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 05:58:30 am »

When we add a new feature, there are often a few people who don't llke it or have strong feelings about how it should be changed  Over time, we sometimes make changes, but not always.

In this case, the feature will still be tuned and improved.  I can't say whether we'll improve it from your point of view.

If you don't like the numbers, fill them in with something else.  Just start playback of a genre, for example, then press and hold a button to program it.

markus_kr

• Recent member
Re: Playlist preset tabs...
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 01:50:20 am »

Hello All,

let me say what an excellent feature the playlist preset tabs are.
I like them very much and I use it every day.

THX a lot!

greetz
Markus

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 06:01:08 am »

... and the way I see it, they don't even belong in "now playing" since they have nothing at all to do with what is currently playing. Right in between the cover of the currently playing track (that's what it is for me) and the playlist of playing tracks are those buttons, that are shortcuts to saved presets... a Berlin wall in the middle of a unity, if you will. Its presence is so alien and meaningless, seems the least the MC team could do is make it optional.

That says pretty much what I came here to say. I use Playing Now to see what's playing; I initiate playback elsewhere. Also, I run MC on my 2nd monitor which is only 1280x1024 so I was already pressed for vertical space in Playing Now, and not only are these unsightly they take up valuable space. I'll add my vote for an option to remove them.

Can they be skinned away by setting their height to zero or something?

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »

Could three options (to choose):
1. Show
2. Hide
3. Pop up on mouse-over

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

AGREE!!!!!!!

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »

When we add a new feature, there are often a few people who don't llke it or have strong feelings about how it should be changed  Over time, we sometimes make changes, but not always.

In this case, the feature will still be tuned and improved.  I can't say whether we'll improve it from your point of view.

If you don't like the numbers, fill them in with something else.  Just start playback of a genre, for example, then press and hold a button to program it.

Jim: put in an option to hide it- Is that  very hard to do? ()dont know anything about programming)=
Pages: [1]   Go Up