INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO problems  (Read 4377 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
ASIO problems
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:58 am »

Using 18.0.48
I can't get ASIO to work correctly on my portable install.
ASIO is for my ASUS xonar essence one dac

When i set my playback options to ASIO one of 2 things happen.
1-No sound. MC acts as if its playing music but no sound.
2-Sound comes out of the wrong dac(creative x-fi titanium....)

Direct sound and wasapi work fine.

I played around with all output mode setting and while doing so i noticed that sometimes
when when i choose  'open driver control panel'(in MC) the creative ASIO options appear even though my
ASUS dac is the selected device.

Everything is working perfectly in MC17. I regularly use ASIO on 2 dacs at the same time.
Everything seams normal on my regular install of MC18 though i haven't messed around with it too much(i stick to portable)

Unlikely ill be around for a while to respond to any feedback i get on this.
Ill see in anything changes on a future build in November and test on another PC.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: ASIO problems
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:55 am »

Last week I updated to 18.0.70 and updated the firmware in my DAC.
Everything is working now and I have made the move from 17 to 18.

Antoine

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:03 am »

Hi

You have to download and install the most updated 2 firmware of your Essence One here (my link is for windows 8 but you can choose other version)

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Xonar%20Essence%20One&p=21&s=2&os=36&hashedid=r1OYJw1GHdZGIqQl

and use the version 18.0.78 whose the most stable 18 version

http://www.jriver.com/download.html

The Computer Audiophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »

Hi Guys - I'm currently reviewing this DAC (ASUS Xonar Essence One) and can't get ASIO working with MC v 18.0.78. Here is the error I receive:

Playback Problem
Details: Playback has requested multiple restarts in a short amount of time.

I've attached images of the error and version information of my DAC. Everything is updated to the newest versions. I have an email into ASUS as well. I hope to at least narrow down the issue to MC or ASUS.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »

I have a Xonar Essence One on my desk for testing as well.  There are a few driver suggestions I passed on to Asus / CMedia, but the device itself has worked well for me.

The 'Information' panel shows the exact same information as Chris's screenshot (7.0.11.5 driver, 1.27 firmware, 0111 audio chip firmware), so I'm not sure what might be different.

One little note is that by default, the CMedia drivers default to 16-bit, so if you want HD output, you need to do:
Options > Audio > ASIO > Output mode settings... > Open Driver Control Panel... and select 24/32-bit

I've asked ASUS to change this, as ASIO should not expose a bitdepth setting -- this is the playback software's job.  Chris's screenshot shows the device asking for ASIOSTInt16LSB :(

The error that Chris is seeing means the driver keeps issuing ASIO reset requests (kAsioResetRequest).  The only other hardware I've ever seen issue these at all is RME.  It means we need to stop playback, close the device, and try again.  We do this, but there's a safeguard to avoid an infinite loop on a device that _always_ wants to reset.  So you see the error message when the safe-guard trips after more than 5 restarts in 5 seconds.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

The Computer Audiophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »

Hi Matt - Thanks for the quick response. I set it to 24/32 bit. I still have the issue.

I just tested playback through Foobar2k via ASIO and all worked well.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »

Hi Matt - Thanks for the quick response. I set it to 24/32 bit. I still have the issue.

I just tested playback through Foobar2k via ASIO and all worked well.

Try unchecking Output mode settings... > Use large hardware buffers (and maybe try a few buffer sizes).  Maybe the driver isn't happy with some buffer sizes?

If it still sticks in a reset loop, could you email me a JRiver log (Help > Logging) that shows playback failing?

Thanks.

The Computer Audiophile

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »

Try unchecking Output mode settings... > Use large hardware buffers ...
That's the ticket!

I unchecked large hardware buffers and all works perfect. If my MacBook Pro Retina displayed the text a bit larger maybe I would have seen the option before posting :~)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 12:56:05 pm »

That's the ticket!

Well, that's good the mystery is solved.

But I don't think their ASIO driver is behaving too well.

We ask for the supported buffer sizes.  It says between 88 and 2205 with a current setting of 882.  So we try 2205 (it said it supported it) and createBuffers(...) succeeds.  

So we think it's happy and start playing.  Then the hardware issues a reset.

Had it either not reported a buffer size it could not support, or failed when we created the buffers we could have handled this better.

I'll send this on to them.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 01:42:10 pm »

Im using windows 7.
With my xonar essence one I had the same problem of  "Playback has requested multiple
restarts in a short amount of time" when i updated the driver to  7.0.11.5.
Un-checking 'use large hardware buffers' didn't help.

I went back to driver 7.0.8.2158 and all is fine.

The newest driver 7.0.11.5 is BETA so Im guessing its not ready.
I read somewhere that a working driver for windows8 is expected in Feb 2013.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:59:46 pm »

I have a Xonar Essence One on my desk for testing as well.  There are a few driver suggestions I passed on to Asus / CMedia, but the device itself has worked well for me.

The 'Information' panel shows the exact same information as Chris's screenshot (7.0.11.5 driver, 1.27 firmware, 0111 audio chip firmware), so I'm not sure what might be different.

One little note is that by default, the CMedia drivers default to 16-bit, so if you want HD output, you need to do:
Options > Audio > ASIO > Output mode settings... > Open Driver Control Panel... and select 24/32-bit

I've asked ASUS to change this, as ASIO should not expose a bitdepth setting -- this is the playback software's job.  Chris's screenshot shows the device asking for ASIOSTInt16LSB :(

The error that Chris is seeing means the driver keeps issuing ASIO reset requests (kAsioResetRequest).  The only other hardware I've ever seen issue these at all is RME.  It means we need to stop playback, close the device, and try again.  We do this, but there's a safeguard to avoid an infinite loop on a device that _always_ wants to reset.  So you see the error message when the safe-guard trips after more than 5 restarts in 5 seconds.

I have this dac on my watchlist, to play around. I'm holding back waiting for a multichannel one BUT I would give it a try. I understand that the dac can upsample to 384khz. Am I right that native playback at this rate is a no-go ??
Pages: [1]   Go Up