INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot play  (Read 1904 times)

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
Cannot play
« on: September 29, 2012, 01:27:56 pm »

Panic! I just accepted the 17.0.186 automatic update and now I cannot play anything in my library!

Whenever I try, I get a dialog titled “Tagging Error”

The body of the error message says:
Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs.

Yea, I checked all that. Nothing has changed except taking the 17.0.186 update!!!

When I dismiss this dialog, it is followed by another titled: "Playback Problem"
The body of the error message says:
Something went wrong with playback.

I didn't need a message to tell me that. :)

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Cannot play
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 02:15:26 pm »

Reboot and reinstall.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
Cannot play
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 03:57:57 pm »

I tried that. No joy. MC is showing all the files with the red "x" on the yellow background, indicating that the file is missing. When I try to do "Locate on disk (external)" I get an explicit "File Missing" dialog. However the file path reported in the error message is exactly the correct file path to the file, which does exist, because I can see it in explorer.

Next suggestion?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot play
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »

It isn't this problem is it?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74707.0

Try restoring a backup of your library.  MC makes them automatically.  File/Library/Restore.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
Re: Cannot play
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »

Thanks for the ideas Jim, but I'm still stuck. My problem is that every single file in my library is now showing up as not found, not just a few that might have special characters. I don't have a that NAS drive either, just a Western Digital Raid 1 drive, which hasn't changed in ages. I just tried to restore an old library, and all the files instantly became not found too after the restore.

What I have now noticed though, is that before I launch MC17, I can see and interact with all my music files on my drive directly in explorer, but after I launch MC17 (and it takes it's sweet time opening) it tells me the files are missing... and when I go back to explorer the files are indeed not showing up!!! I have to pull the plug on the drive and re-attach it for the OS to find the files again.

Does this give us any more clues?

Thanks,
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up